Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nationwide Bank Flex Plus account costs £156pa, but if you keep £2500 in it you get interest of £74, so it costs £82pa for any car breakdown cover for me and my wife (joint account). Also includes world wide travel insurance and phone insurance making it worth it.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I purchased a cloth spare wheel bag and inside the wheel is a jack and wheelbrace inside polystyrene held to the wheel with a strap. It's 5 seconds to grab the wheel bag and throw it in the boot / back seat if I'm going somewhere that has no mobile phone reception.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,284 Posts
So you can just chuck a space saver and a decent scissor jack under the boot floor in place of the puncture kit? And no doubt this throws all kinds of errors up (bit like being towed) if you fit it but still lets you drive it? Obviously max speed tends to be like 40mph with those but it'd do the job if I got stuck in the Lakes which has a lot of signal not-spots.

I think I'm coming around to this idea (vs. the previous view of "OMG but the manual says....") having actually had a puncture now and being lucky enough to be at home. Not changed many tyres and last time on my old car the nuts were too tight for the piddly brace that was in with the spare so I did struggle (ended up having to call for help and from then on bought a decent 4-arm brace and left it in the boot) but I think even I can manage to change the tyre without piercing the battery with the jack which would be impressively stupid positioning when you look at how far in the battery housing is from the sill. Can't imagine I'd be sticking my head under the car either, except to peer at the sill to spot the jacking point beforehand.

Don't want to curse it with a Top Gear "how hard can it be?", but maybe there has been a little bit of fear mongering on this issue. And what else do you do in the land of no signals other than stick the warning triangle up, pick a direction to walk in in search of a signal, and hope for the best?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The telescopic wheel brace thingies are in my opinion 100 times better than the cross brace ones and a lot lighter etc

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
telescopic wheel wrench £5.00 instore and online at wilko's ( Nuts on the Zoe are 17mm )
I purchased this item so i could remove the rear wheels to paint the rear brake drums

Wheel nut wrench with dual size sockets, 17mm and 19mm with telescopic handle which extends to 510mm. Fits most car wheel nuts. The 0.5in drive wrench can be used with standard 0.5in drive sockets. Wheel nut wrench with dual size sockets, 17mm and 19mm...

screenshot-www.wilko.com-2019.10.02-23_22_09.png

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ended up renewing with Autoaid. No one else came close on price when taking into account it covers my partner in her car too
Well, this has paid for itself already, just had a puncture, no flatbed available, but the recovery guy took me and the wheel to a tyre place to get it fixed, total cost to me, £12!

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Followed the great Zoe jacking debate and today finally bit the bullet and changed the front N/S alloy front wheel which suffered kerbing damage and now off for repair.Was changed out with an identical wheel brought from e bay.After looking at various photos of the way servicing centres lifted Zoe's on the seam weld points on the sills.I purchased a special order lifting pad from an e bay seller so as not to damage body work consisted of one flat jacking pad and a jacking pad small classic car with a 3mm steel plate sandwiched in the middle.This fitted perfectly in the low profile trolley jack.Have attached photo's.Hope this is of some use.
2E46FC8D-D719-447E-922B-2086AB532B88.jpeg

·
Registered
501 Posts
We had a puncture a few months back, took 5 hours for car to be flatbedded home so thinking about a spacesaver. Guy on RZOC mentioned buying one of these:

Looks like it'll do the job - I have 17" wheels. Looking back at this thread there's mention of 4x100 space savers on ebay which appear to be cheaper. maybe I don't need to spend so much?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I am more then happy to jack the Zoe up and change the wheel , but i want to make sure the spare wheels fits and does not cost the earth.
I saw lots of space saver wheels at a local Car breakers yard a few months back ( Doncaster , South Yorkshire )
I think the ( 2016 ) Clio with 4 mounting holes is the nearest to the zoe

100x4 PCD wheels

Found This info below

41 - 51 of 51 Posts