Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my brand new Zoe R110 I-Dynamic Nav last Wednesday but haven't managed to get keyless locking / unlocking to work.
The dealer I used is a bit of a drive away so I've got it booked in with them to take a look on Saturday week which is the next time I can get down and they had a free (weekend) slot.
I've tried:
1. stopping the car (key in the slot)
2. put key in pocket
3. get out press button on outside door handle
Nothing happens

1. stopping the car (key in the slot)
2. put key in pocket
3. walk away from car
Nothing happens

I know that pressing a button on the key to lock will disable the keyless system.
Anything else I can try? I've tried both keys and made sure the other key wasn't near the car. The buttons on the key work a ridiculous distance away.

·
Registered
970 Posts
What happens when the key card in not in the slot Does it still drive ?

That might tell you if the key card is still transmitting or receiving a signal from the car.
So could it be a blown fuse or a cable has not been connected properly

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Are you opening the car using the button on the handle?

This might make a difference.

The auto lock activates once you are a few feet away from the car.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Do you think that keyless entry has been removed for security reasons.

yoh-there : mentioned it below but he does
Not live in the UK

Keycard defective
I hear you all, but despite being a tech guy, I am actually quite happy with the non-keyless entry. Just the other day, coincidence really, it was on the news here that 90% of 2017 or older cars with a keyless entry system are vulnerable to an "extension hack", using now off the shelf available devices. Actually car theft using "tech" has now surpassed the proverbial knocked inwindow method. Starting January cars with those systems will no longer hold up to revised certification which can have a negative impact on insurance premium.

Those who know me a bit here realize I am most certainly not in the "OMG the MOT / police/ insurance / warranty" parade, but money counts, and if your car is nicked it's a huge PIAone way or the other.

Sep 5, 2018Report
Like+ QuoteReply

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It yells at me to put the key card in if I take it out when turned on. I csn't start with the key card out of the slot.

Button on the handle does nothing, I would expect ect unlock to not work as I lock using the key remote button which would disable keyless.

Zoe is UK spec bought outright. Nothing special from a security point of view

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,373 Posts
Good catch. But I didn't hear about any follow up and would assume there would quite the row across the board if they disabled it without even telling at delivery.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
It shouldn't need the keycard in the slot to start. Mine doesn't. Looks like the autolock feature has failed too.

Perhaps they've realised their keyless system is completely insecure and have had to disable it on new cars until they've worked out how to stop it getting compromised?

Have you tried the other door button and the boot? The fact it doesn't autolock when you walk away and squeak at you is the biggest problem you have.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds as though the RF link between the key card and the car is not working. You should have been given two key cards. Does the same fault occur with the second card?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The car is behaving like there is another keycard in the car somewhere.
Not if its screaming to put the keycard in the slot, but your right in the sense it would not lock if there is another keycard in close proximity, I once put my spare in the suitcase in the boot and wondered why auto lock stopped working, Doh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Or it thinks one of the doors/boot isn't closed properly. That's the other reason it won't auto lock. I've been reading the owner manual!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I thought keyless meant you didn’t need the key in the slot at all.

Or are there 2 levels of keyless?

You can only use the button on the door if the car auto locked once you walked away from it.

If you locked it from the fob as you walked away then it won’t open when you press the button on the door.

Auto locking as you walk away is the initiation of keyless entry and activated the door button.

As has been said, try the other key.

JJ

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Or it thinks one of the doors/boot isn't closed properly. That's the other reason it won't auto lock. I've been reading the owner manual!
This would show on the dash though quite clearly

JJ

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
If you need to put the key in the slot to start the car then it is not working correctly, usually it means the battery is flat. Hence why your keyless isn't working. Perhaps the dealer forgot to remove a plastic tab on the battery or something?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both keycards are identical (neither work).
Just to make sure that there wasn't one interfering, I tried it when at work, with the other keycard left at home - no difference.
I believe there is only one battery within the keycards, and the remote control buttons on both work from quite a distance, plus they are brand new so I doubt its their batteries.
No indication that a door (or the charging flap) have been left open. I'd expect it you tell me when driving if that was the case. Also I've read that when this is the case, it will lock then immediatly unlock again when you press the button on the door handles.
I've also tried both door handle buttons.
I think I read somewhere that auto locking doesn't work if there is someone left in the car - but I've made sure all seat belts are not in and there is nothing on the seats.

I've been hoping that its "user error" in some way but I suspect as someone says there is something not plugged in, or the keys haven't been properly linked to the car (I haven't found a guide on how to reset that).
With two transponder zones (inside for starting, inside and outside for locking) then it must be more than just a single sensor. You'd have thought this would be checked before it left the factory.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I'd probably try opening all the doors and boot and shutting them and checking all the electric windows work and fully close. Then lock the car with the plipper. Then see if that has reset anything or it whinges about something it might be.

Do the courtesy lights on all the doors work normally?

What is the voltage of the 12v battery? That's the other cause of gremlins. If that's low it might be sending it stupid.

Other than that I think it's best to get it to a dealer as it's definitely not behaving normally.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No alarm. I didn't buy that extra option.
I can connect Canze back into it later to check the 12V battery although everything else works, including (now) ZE Interactive and pre-conditioning. When I cycled through the screens on Canze I didn't notice anything particular.

It did surprise me that there wasn't an additional rear courtesy light, but I guess that is the design. I haven't tried putting all of the windows up/down - can try doors and windows later, assuming they aren't frozen. However as I said above - if there was something open it should lock then immediately unlock again to show what the issue is.

Due to dealer location, availability, my lack of availability during the day, and that I can still use the car without this, its booked into the dealer on the 2nd so a bit of a wait. However I'm not going to take a new car apart to try and find out the issue.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I always listen for the Toot toot ( knowing for sure the motor is switched off & all doors are closed )
I then press and hold the lock button on key fob to double lock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts