Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like all the Zoe40 specs have a leather steering wheel, which is a shame.

I cannot see if that changes with the Zoe50, although the press gubbins does quote sustainability for the interior a lot more:
"Groupe Renault's designers have paid particular attention to the interior quality, finish, comfort and ergonomics. Soft touch plastics and new sustainable trim finishes..."
"The dashboard has been completely redesigned to significantly improve the quality of its finishes. Novel additions include soft fabric inserts that matches that used in the seats, creating a warm and comfortable atmosphere "
"On Iconic models there is 100 percent recycled seat upholstery"

Anyone got an inside scoop or should I assume they are French and love a bit of cow?

·
Registered
807 Posts
It looks like all the Zoe40 specs have a leather steering wheel, which is a shame.

I cannot see if that changes with the Zoe50, although the press gubbins does quote sustainability for the interior a lot more:
"Groupe Renault's designers have paid particular attention to the interior quality, finish, comfort and ergonomics. Soft touch plastics and new sustainable trim finishes..."
"The dashboard has been completely redesigned to significantly improve the quality of its finishes. Novel additions include soft fabric inserts that matches that used in the seats, creating a warm and comfortable atmosphere "
"On Iconic models there is 100 percent recycled seat upholstery"

Anyone got an inside scoop or should I assume they are French and love a bit of cow?
At the VIP evening last week, we were told it was "Vegan" leather aka Polyurethane.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting. The Dynamique Nav specs say leather and I was close to discussing the DSG Morecambe offer with the Mrs. Then thought maybe I wait for Zoe50. If that falls through it is Model 3, which is overkill for its intended use.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ZE50 is using fake leather on both the seats (high-spec model) and the steering wheel (top two high-spec models). I don't know the naming in UK, but in Germany it's basically:
  • Life (entry model) - steering wheel is from plastic, seats are recycled textile;
  • Experience - steering wheel from fake leather, seats from recycled textile;
  • Intense - steering wheel from fake leather, seats from recycled textile in the middle (where your butt and your back sit), but fake leather on the exterior

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The charge port is similar but on this version it has the standard port we all know with the added section below with a 2 flap (main first via a release clip and foam seal, then flap for the additional section)
0F242726-3F57-4066-9AB8-A58FAF1775C0.jpeg

3DA10858-723C-4AC8-8FD2-749D7BB8BAA6.jpeg

390043BC-67EA-4D57-B2CE-8EA0897A57CC.jpeg

Under the bonnet (god knows why no one considered opening it until I jumped in the car) there is a bit more space

74CD3E1C-33E3-4804-A7DC-797B19D39774.jpeg

JJ

·
Zoe Devotee
7,836 Posts
but fake leather on the exterior
Fake leather on a £30k car? Ouch! Why are more folk not apoplectic about this? I mean non-buyers were absolutely swooning over on the MG page that a car costing £23k could have fake leather.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Call it "vegan" and you get away with it

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
It seems all the rage - a £100K Model X is vegan pleather too. I think Polestar 2 can have real hide at a hefty price.

·
Premium Member
10,078 Posts
I really don't see the appeal of leather in a car. Fake or otherwise.
It can be a lot easier to clean and (in some cases) wears better.

·
Registered
385 Posts
ZE50 is using fake leather on both the seats (high-spec model) and the steering wheel (top two high-spec models). I don't know the naming in UK, but in Germany it's basically:
  • Life (entry model) - steering wheel is from plastic, seats are recycled textile;
  • Experience - steering wheel from fake leather, seats from recycled textile;
  • Intense - steering wheel from fake leather, seats from recycled textile in the middle (where your butt and your back sit), but fake leather on the exterior
In UK at the launch event they say it is "vegan leather" 3 times. Our names are Play, Iconic and GT Line.. and I believe that matches the Clio names.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The charge port is similar but on this version it has the standard port we all know with the added section below with a 2 flap (main first via a release clip and foam seal, then flap for the additional section
Didn't manage to work out who you were at the Bristol event. Your post is probably better suited for the VIP thread than this one about leather. This one was my third VIP party I went to, so I was more keen on dealer chat (learnt some interesting things ;-)) than pressing the buttons again. The bottom 2 pins are DC and they make up the CCS (Combined Charge System).. CCS is basically a bodge of Type 2 signalling with the 2 extra pins for the DC energy that goes straight to the battery instead of into the engine for AC to DC conversion.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,242 Posts
<ot><rant>Not related to leather either, but it's totally not Type 2 signalling. In a stupid act of anti-ChaDeMo lobbying that (spearheaded by our Dieselgate friends) they choose not to put CANbus on the connector, but use a "better" but totally obscure system called "HomePlug Green PHY". It's mind boggling.</rant></ot>
OK, carry on ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ref textile, synthetic leather, leather:

In the end, what you do with your money and your conscience will remain with you.

If there is a market for a product, the marketing department will request the production team to fulfil that market's demand; then the production team will say "yeah, but no" and they'll agree on a few trims to sell a variation of the product while keeping the production mayhem under some perceived control for the management's sound sleep. Hence, there is a market for textile (which nowadays is synthetic fiber anyways), leather and "synthetic leather" seats and so these are manufactured and assigned, for an efficient production and smaller logistical nightmare, to some trims. (Either way, butt-sweat levels are similar I guess, unless you have ventilated seats.)

My beef (sic) is calling it "vegan leather"; vegan nowadays is a super-politicised and meaning-filled word and it would do everyone a favour to avoid it. I can also understand that saying "petroleum-based seat cover" (in an EV!) is not a very good selling point. In German they call it Lederoptik, which means "looks like leather". I believe the least risky approach was taken by Tesla, I don't think there was any official communication from them saying what materials they use for the seats (I remember there was something saying the will stop using leather, but not what it will be replaced with clever, huh?).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts