Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need two new front tyres. I took it to my local garage, but they couldn't find the locking wheel nut. They said to speak to the dealer where I bought it from. I did, but they were bloody useless and cockily said 'you signed to say you had received the locking wheel nut etc etc' I was never told that I was signing for the locking wheel nut, and never saw it.
Anyway, any idea how I can remove it/them? I'd be happy to get them off and put normal nuts on.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Check the wheel well in the boot and the little red bag thing.

Dealer sounds a snotty arse. I'd complain to Renault about that attitude if a complaint to the dealer principal doesn't get anywhere. A decent dealer would have said they're meant to be in the car and they're normally in X place.

i assume they are standard as mine was serviced and they said they couldn't find it but I know where it is and they mention torquing the wheel nuts so they must have used their own one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've looked everywhere in the boot, taken everything out, in the red first aid pack, glove box, door side pockets, under the front seats.
Looking at mine it is basically forged steel. I think the only way to get something strong enough is to source one from Renault, unless you want to try hitting very hot metal onto the nut.
  1. Mine is marked 'N' and looks like this. I could not find anything about the type code for it in the manual.
    20191015_100633.jpg

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's going to be difficult to remove them without damaging the wheels. You can get removal tools which are a left handed threaded socket that cuts a thread on the outside of the nut. Alternatively you might be able to hammer a close fitting bi-hex socket over the outside. From memory the gap is quite small so this might not work. Someone who's good at welding might be able to weld a bolt onto them which you could then turn. You might be able to drill them off, drill a small pilot hole down the middle then progressively go bigger until you get to the stud size checking all the time that you haven't gone too deep. When you get really close it should be possible to break it off the last little bit. With the wheel removed the remaining stud should remove easily with some mole grips.

If all else fails search the web for removing a locking wheel nut without a tool. You might just find a technique that works for you. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts