Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - just joined so apologies if this question in wrong place/idiotic/answered 1,000 times elsewhere ;). I bought my Zoe last year and just last week the instrument panel wouldn't go off. It's obviously draining the battery when not being used (about 20 km a night!). I just can't see what switch I switched, so to speak, to make this happen... or is it a fault. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Patricia

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
Is it always on, or only on when charging? By default, the instrument panel is on when charging, so you might have noticed this for the first time? There is an option for it to switch off when charging.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Is it staying in when the car is charging as well as unplugged and locked?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Odd. It definitely doesn’t turn off after a minute or so?

Does it make a noise when you turn it back on?

I might be tempted to disconnect the 12v battery for a while to see if that can reset things,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope... I even sneak back after locking up to see if still on, like some demented crone :rolleyes:. It's on. No noise when turning back on. No other evidence of distress.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
That is rather peculiar. I'd check all the doors are firmly closed and there isn't a stray key in the car somewhere. Also move the keys further away inside the house if it's less than 20 feet away from any part of the car.

I'd also turn off the 'leave display on while charging' just in case it's some mad software error.

If the display stays on normally when a door is open then it makes me wonder whether the door plunger thing thinks the door is always open.

When you lock the car does it squeak about a door being open still or display open doors on the display that aren't open? Check all doors on the display show open and closed properly.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm not familiar with car, but I think the loss of range is odd and possibly misleading.
The instrument panel will be powered from the 12 v ancilliary battery, not directly from the main HV battery.
A range loss of 20 km roughly corresponds to about 2.5 kWh which over say 9 hours is a continuous drain of about 23 amps drawn from the 12 volt battery, to be topped up by the HV when the car is turned back on. This drain would flatten the 12v battery rather quickly after turning the car off.

In the first instance I would check that the doors, bonnet and boot are all correctly closed, because just possibly when opened could cause the instrument panel to be illuminated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - thanks all. I'm going to run out and check if all doors closed! I hope that's it... but won't I be embarrassed! :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing but something interesting (depending on what you find interesting...), in that I checked all doors and then I used the key to lock the doors instead of just walking away and letting it lock automatically. The dashboard (and clock display on the central monitor) went off momentarily. And then back on... By the way, in case this might be an issue, I had taken out the SD card a while ago and the phone/radio thing was not working but that didn't bother me too much. Any link??

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
It might be one of the door switches has come loose.

Can you see if any of them are causing a problem?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Just tested my car and it makes a noise at you if you try and lock it with a door open. So I don’t think it’s the switch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is an odd one, for sure. I thought perhaps charge port open, but tested that and its a no. Is it the standard driving display shown, mph etc, or just charge level?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
Removing the SD card won't be the cause. The fleet of Zoes I used to maintain were quite happy for years without the SD cards, obviously just without voice control or navigation features.

I've seen this happen a few times where the cars just won't go to sleep. But I've never seen more than maybe 2 miles disappear overnight from it. There doesn't seem to be this significant battery drain you mention.

For me, simply disconnecting the 12v battery for a short while and reconnecting it solved it. This was after trying to pull a few fuses which didn't appear to help. It's worth noting that this specific car seemed to do the same again a few months down the line after this where I had to disconnect the battery again to fix. I assume it could be some sort of faulty software that could do with being checked and updated by Renault once this pandemic is over. I just never got around to taking it in personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to thank you all for your help and support. I think I'm going to just make sure to keep it charged (obviously am not driving as much these days...) and wait until this Time of Great Madness is over and take it to the dealer. I had assumed it was something I'd switched on/off by mistake but after going through the manual loads of times, and taking into account all that you've all suggested I check out, I will leave it at that. Given that it's under warranty I don't want to touch batteries or fuses etc. Thanks again all, I really appreciate it :love:. Patricia

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
It shouldn't happen thanks to the HV battery keeping the 12v topped up, but there is a small risk of the battery discharging and preventing your car from starting it you leave it like this for too long. Hopefully you have the means to recharge the 12v battery, or have a second car just in case this happens if you are leaving it for now and happen to need to drive somewhere?

I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's worth letting you know the risks in case lockdown lasts longer than we first think and you can't get to the dealer for many more weeks to come.

While playing with the battery and/or fuses shouldn't really affect your warranty, I can understand why you may not want to start touching them yourself. Hopefully it either fixes itself with time, or you can get the dealer to check it out in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It shouldn't happen thanks to the HV battery keeping the 12v topped up, but there is a small risk of the battery discharging and preventing your car from starting it you leave it like this for too long. Hopefully you have the means to recharge the 12v battery, or have a second car just in case this happens if you are leaving it for now and happen to need to drive somewhere?

I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's worth letting you know the risks in case lockdown lasts longer than we first think and you can't get to the dealer for many more weeks to come.

While playing with the battery and/or fuses shouldn't really affect your warranty, I can understand why you may not want to start touching them yourself. Hopefully it either fixes itself with time, or you can get the dealer to check it out in the near future.
Thank you. I'll make sure I keep it charged. I don't have a second car. Getting an electric car really is a learning experience...:cool:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I wonder if its a relay stuck on? if it is that then disconnecting the 12v battery may release it, if you should decide to disconnect the 12v you only need to loosen (no need to fully remove) the 10mm nut in the pic below and that whole assembly including cable simply lifts off the battery terminal with a wriggle.
20170130_163504.jpg

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
536 Posts
I wonder if its a relay stuck on? if it is that then disconnecting the 12v battery may release it, if you should decide to disconnect the 12v you only need to loosen (no need to fully remove) the 10mm nut in the pic below and that whole assembly including cable simply lifts off the battery terminal with a wriggle.
If you decide to do this, it's worth reiterating that you open the bonnet, then make sure car is switched off, shut the doors and wait for 10-15 minutes for it to completely shut down and "go to sleep" before disconnecting the battery. Well worth a try!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts