Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know where else the VIN is stored,probably the body control module. I've not heard of issues swapping batteries but as most are leased I doubt many people have tried. However if there is a VIN in the battery you could probably just swap the board it's stored on within the batteries.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would expect the VIN to be stored in the clocks/dash too - that's quite common.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,468 Posts
The VIN is, AFAIK stored in most of the ECU's (or at least: they can be requested from many). Not all ECU's are a**l about cross checking though.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Excellent work as ever Mike - very informative. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Very good provided you:
  1. Wear high voltage electrically insulated gloves

2. Disconnect the traction battery first
But as you are asking the question I suspect that you'd be better going to a HEVRA garage and getting them to do it for you. You'll be a few £ worse off but still alive.

The other question is, if it is the fuse that has blown, why did it blow? It is unlikely to be for no reason and replacing the compressor isn't as simple.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very good provided you:
  1. Wear high voltage electrically insulated gloves

2. Disconnect the traction battery first
But as you are asking the question I suspect that you'd be better going to a HEVRA garage and getting them to do it for you. You'll be a few £ worse off but still alive.

The other question is, if it is the fuse that has blown, why did it blow? It is unlikely to be for no reason and replacing the compressor isn't as simple.
Why would you wear gloves if you have disconnected the battery ?
Even if it's live, you'd need to try really hard to give yourself a shock, as all HV connectors are touch-proof when mated or unmated. I would also expect that the connector interlocks would prevent the battery pack contactor from closing if any connector is unplugged.
There is a contactor in the battery pack, so just disconnecting the 12V battery should be all that's needed.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks. I have another question. How does the charge plug earth connect to the chassis?Are there any 'bits' along the way? I am curious because the car-measured earth resistance seems different if I attach my portable earth rods to the car eg. engine block, or to the other end, a metal charge point case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts