Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to permanently turn off the annoying drone, that is supppsed to alert pedestrians if you’re driving below a certain speed? I know it can be temporarily switched off, but it’s a pain to have to do it every time, When I have had it on, I’ve never seen a pedestrian look round.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,112 Posts
Pull fuse, but you will also loose the whoop whoop from your keyless. Fuse position is F16; 4th column from left, 3rd from bottom. I drive it like that for 6 years now.

3-2-1 until the OMG police, OMG if you run over a kid, OMG insurance, OMG MOT......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just made it a habit to turn it off while I'm putting on my seatbelt. However then I noticed the driving "whistle" above about 8mph so the car's not as silent as others anyway!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Likewise - I call it the faulty wheel bearing noise ;)

It’s part of my start up routine to turn it off

If you can’t avoid a pedestrian at those speeds then you shouldn’t be driving :) the horn is there for a reason - meep meep

Reminds me I must upgrade my horn

JJ

·
Registered
403 Posts
Isn't it a legal requirement now to have a pedestrian warning noise? Or just that the car has to have it installed? Must admit I don't mind it - and I can always tell when a Zoe is coming if I'm walking. Also my horn has to be thumped pretty hard to work - that and my brain reverting to thinking that I'm still driving my old (long gone) Peugeot 306 which had the horn on the indicator stalk.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
The Zoe horn is a pain. It's fight to get any noise out of it. Around single track country roads it's a nuisance.

Pedestrian drone noise I don't really notice. I generally have the stereo on anyway so it's not that noticeable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,001 Posts
At least you can turn it off. Pity us poor Soul drivers who have to listen to a gang of professional mourners all wailing away.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,112 Posts
I agree and it's one of my few pet peeves. Why make extra noise because ICE's do? As if there is not enough noise pollution with cars, scooters, jackhammers, trucks, muzak in open parking garages, etc.

Having said that, @Matthew posted a research paper and man, a LOT of effort and research has been put in the noise profile of these things. http://canze.fisch.lu/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/index.pdf

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
Meh, I stopped caring once I found the most subtle of the 3 settings (it's kind of like a whistle rather than a moan)

It's useful sometimes, say in a busy supermarket car park or if there are telezombies meandering on the road. Anyone can avoid running people over, it's just getting them to notice you're there and shoo out of the way without startling them with the main horn... it can be harder than getting sheep to move out of the road and I've dealt with that a few times in the Lakes.

I like the thing someone mentioned of another EV in a similar thread where there was a "push to make noise" button separate from the traffic horn. That sounds much more sensible than having us all moaning away constantly.

·
Speak, Eevee!
987 Posts
Ha, love it, especially the R2D2 'horn' and the train one XD
Very true as I've given a little beep at someone who wasn't moving at the lights and got a big angry middle finger held in front of her rear view mirror for my trouble! Normal car horns are so aggressive sounding especially as they're used in anger so much.

I could go one politer and get someone to mimic the voice of a particular shy cartoon pony I know. "U-um... excuse me? It's just.. may I be through.. if you don't mind that is..." - okay maybe a bit long winded :)

·
23,001 Posts
It's exactly what is on the Ampera.

GM figured this out 10 years ago.

Did you see the photo of the 1939 Standard I put a photo up of? Also had a soft horn button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A large part of the push to make EV's produce a noise is for people with sight loss. They rely on hearing to ensure a road is safe to cross, and with a car at low speeds could easily get hit by the sort of numpties that somehow manage to have licenses. I'm happy to keep mine on especially as I drive a lot around where they train guide dogs (and people that use them).

·
23,001 Posts
A large part of the push to make EV's produce a noise is for people with sight loss. They rely on hearing to ensure a road is safe to cross, and with a car at low speeds could easily get hit by the sort of numpties that somehow manage to have licenses. I'm happy to keep mine on especially as I drive a lot around where they train guide dogs (and people that use them).
That is fine, but can't it do it intelligently, by interpreting the road, time of day, radar detecting pedestrians and other objects that might be hiding them?

I have been FORCED to listen to my pedestrian warning wail for over a year now and it has warned precisely zero sight loss people. This is completely disproportionate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have been FORCED to listen to my pedestrian warning wail for over a year now and it has warned precisely zero sight loss people. This is completely disproportionate.
I've been FORCED to use my seatbelt every single time I use my car and it has stopped me being violently killed to death precisely zero times. This also is completely disproportionate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
15 Participants
Phil Himsworth
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing