Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking on behalf of someone I met over the weekend that has just bought one of these cars and is having some problems with it and the dealer is not being helpful as I do not think they know too much about them. The problem is that the bloke gets in the car goes through the start process of putting his foot on the brake pedal and pressing the button and more often than not the car does not power on. It takes two or three goes before the car will turn on and when it does it then runs fine. I saw this for myself and it was almost as if the start button is not being recognised every time it is pressed but this only happens at turn on and it turns off every time on the button.

I know nothing at all about these cars but it seems to me that there may be something obvious that he is not doing when he tries to start the car although if it is then it was not something that I spotted. The handover the bloke got from the dealer was non-existent so he did not get any proper introduction to the car just some brief instructions and the rest he has had to get from the manual after he got home. He says he is following what it says in the manual to start the car but because this happens every time I can not help thinking that he is missing something obvious.

On the plus side I had a good look around the car and was very impressed with it. Not really OK for us as it is a bit too small but very nicely put together from what I could see of it and it sounds like the aliens have landed when it moves off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,900 Posts
That sounds like what the Corsa and E208 do! What happens if he presses brake pedal and holds in Start button until the ready light comes on?

Some of these cars seem very thick at responding to button presses.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
Not much to it.

Foot on the brake and then press the start button.

You might have to wait a few seconds for the car to initialise. Is he pressing the button once and then waiting with his foot on the brake?

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
Could be that the car is having issues with the hands-free key? I have a R135 ZE50, with the touchless entry activated and I've never had a problem, butit is true that I aways keep the key on my front left side pocket (RWD), which is the closest to the "key" area of the ZOE?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I saw bearing in mind that this was in a car park and I was only looking in from the side was that when he did the normal thing of putting his foot on the brake and pressing the button the car seemed to start up but then displayed a message that looked like "press brake and start" or something similar. Repeating the process of putting his foot on the brake and pressing the button would do the same thing a couple of times until after two or three goes it would start up OK.

From what he said and what I saw it was almost as if it was not always sensing that the button had been pressed or perhaps he was not sensing that the brake pedal was pressed. From what he said it did this most times that he went to start the car and has never started on the first push of the button which is what made him and me think he was doing something wrong. From what I saw he was keeping his foot on the brake pedal as there was a slope on the car park.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts
I still find it a bit confusing to know if the car is on or not.

My current method is to look down to see if the gear shift lights are illuminated.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,162 Posts
Could be that the car is having issues with the hands-free key? I have a R135 ZE50, with the touchless entry activated and I've never had a problem, butit is true that I aways keep the key on my front left side pocket (RWD), which is the closest to the "key" area of the ZOE?
View attachment 143852
My key is kept in the "watch" pocket of my jeans (Furthest from the key area), and the car has never failed to start when asked.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like he's not pressing the brake pedal hard enough.

If the key wasn't detected it would be a different message.

Thanks I will pass this on and get him to try it to see if it makes any difference as from what I saw the message did not look as if it was any sort of error it just read press brake and start as if it was reminding him that it had not started because he had not put his foot on the brake. May be if he pushes harder then it will be OK.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a call from the bloke I met last weekend that was having this problem and he has asked me to pass on his thanks to all here as it turned out that he was not holding down the brake pedal for long enough. His opinion of the dealer that he bought the car from is not at all good from the tone of the conversation and he is not over the moon with the manual for the car either as apparently that does not say that the brake has to be held down for several seconds after pressing the start button.

For anyone else that has this problem he has told me that what works every time is to make sure that he keeps his foot on the brake pedal for at least 5 seconds or so after pressing the button as this works every time. He thinks he was taking his foot off the pedal before the car had finished the starting process.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,162 Posts
Had a call from the bloke I met last weekend that was having this problem and he has asked me to pass on his thanks to all here as it turned out that he was not holding down the brake pedal for long enough. His opinion of the dealer that he bought the car from is not at all good from the tone of the conversation and he is not over the moon with the manual for the car either as apparently that does not say that the brake has to be held down for several seconds after pressing the start button.

For anyone else that has this problem he has told me that what works every time is to make sure that he keeps his foot on the brake pedal for at least 5 seconds or so after pressing the button as this works every time. He thinks he was taking his foot off the pedal before the car had finished the starting process.
I just wait until the car pings and the left side of the dash shows the message "READY".

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,928 Posts

Shouldn't need five seconds on the brake.

However this morning I had the same thing where I had to press the start button twice.

I always just press the brake pedal harder and it turns on straight away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts