Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
The same as all the others then, mine included. How Renault dealers don't know about this is just staggering, an absolute beacon of incompetence.
Hi Phil,

It seems some dealers are very clued up, some are totally incompetent.
Who's fault is this, Renault UK for not ensuring there franchisees have the necessary training for dealing with faults as well as the customer?
Is it the individual dealerships for not ensuring their technicians and service departments are up to the job?
Renault must have figures of how many cars this has effected, know the problem and how it should be fixed but not want it to be made public.
I do wonder if there have been any accidents as a result of this fault, minor or serious?

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I can tell it’s all down to the dealership themselves for warranty claims - if they deem it a claim then Renault pays up. It doesn’t seem to be driven by Renault but the dealership telling them if it’s valid.

So if the dealership has no clue then it’s bad :(

Mine are getting better but still need to diagnose and tell them what to fix! That’s when this forum comes in great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
The same as all the others then, mine included. How Renault dealers don't know about this is just staggering, an absolute beacon of incompetence.
I think it's fair to mention that the PEC is a box full of electronic modules, any one of which, it it fails, could be classed as a faulty PEC. As I understand it, Renault used to insist on the PEC being returned to France and a complete new unit shipped and installed, leading to long repair times, whereas competent dealers are now allowed to dismantle the PEC and replace just the faulty module, for instance the DC_DC converter. It would be very interesting to know which modules are causing the most problems, someone must know!
ZOE_PEC.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
True, but I don't think the complexity of the PEC really changes anything... they replaced the whole lot in ours and others mentioned on here, which ought to be what happens almost automatically if no more specific fault has been identified. If they have, great, fix the subcomponent, but if they haven't, sitting on their hands for twelve weeks waiting for inspiration should not be an option. If it's expensive for them to do it, then they should train their technicians better in fault finding, or design the system better so fault finding is easier in the first place.

This seems to be such a common problem that causes so much grief to those it strikes, and such anxiety in those worried about owning an out of warranty car, that there is no excuse for Renault not to have a better handle on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Surely Renault must know how many cars have been affected and how much it has cost them.
One would like to think they have enough experience to make sure it is eliminated in later models, or is it still found in the cars newer than our 2017 R90, does anyone have a post 2017 Zoe with this fault?
One thing is certain, if it occurs with our 2019 R110 which was manufactured in 2018 I will insist that it is sent a dealership that knows what they are doing and can fix it within a reasonable timeframe.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
I've not pestered anyone for inside info, but from what I can gather, Renault are pretty easygoing with covering warranty issues and just wave them through and pay the dealer if they say such and such is needed. Other than that they seem to leave the dealer network to their own devices, aside from perhaps the odd call or email if someone gets customer relations involved for whatever reason.

So what I fail to understand is why some dealers are so reluctant to cover warranty claims or even just get the job done. Correct me if anyone knows better but I think they get paid for the labour and everything, so why do they feel the need to be awkward? It's just turning away good business!

If it wasn't for the known good local dealer having a proactive approach to customer satisfaction, I'd be quite nervous owning a Zoe from these reports I must admit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This morning my Zoe came up with the STOP-electric motor failure fault again, but this time it stayed on. Like before it seemed to be OK to drive still it would still accelerate and regen. As I had the bluetooth dongle in the car I took the chance to pull over and read the error codes via CAN ZE. When I stopped the car it then refused to move again!
Although I was off the road I hadn't parked very well and was a little closer to the road than I wanted to be so that was a pain.

Let this be a lesson for everyone, if the car says STOP when it does there is a good chance it will not move again even if it did appear to be OK up to that point. If you are ever in the situation like this find a sensible place to pull over and at least test to see if the car does stop. Coming up tot he next junction or traffic lights only to find the car is now stuck would be really bad.

The codes I read were the same as before so I think CAN ZE probably doesn't have relevant access

I called ZE breakdown and after 7 minutes a bloke answered, we went through all the details to be told that as my car wasn't under the original warranty any more that it wasn't covered for breakdown either. I said it was under the lease, he said it wasn't, I said it was, he said it wasn't and that carried on for a few minutes at which point I gave up.
I then called RAC only to find out that our cover had expired in May, DOH!
My day isn't starting well.
Not wanting to pay full price for them to reinstate it and knowing the the lease covers breakdown I called ZE breakdown back and the instant the new guy answered the phone the fault cleared.

I put the car in drive and away it went. Whilst moving I was speaking the new guy and he said that the lease does cover breakdown but at that point I didn't need his help so thanked him and hung up.

The car managed to make it to Renault and they may look at it tomorrow as they are busy. Not a big problem from me as we have other cars. If I wanted a loan car then it would be two weeks!

As the car is under the extended warranty I have to authorise them to do the diagnostics just in case they can't find anything and the warranty doesn't pay up.

So now I wait. Will Renault be able to find out what is wrong? Will the extended warranty be worth the paper it isn't printed on?

Looks like my deposit on the MG is going to turn in to a sale !

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ring Renault Customer Support ASAP 03443350000
Tell them the whole story.
If you have warranty you should get an Enterprise loan car until your Zoe is repaired
From my experience some Renault dealerships are worse than useless.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, was 4 years, but that expired in April so I have to now deal with the Extended warranty people who are actually Car Care plan. Although you can get a hire car (not for the first 24 hours) it is only up to £50 a day and then only for 7 days ! I know that if there is a real motor fault it will take weeks if not months.
I've called them to make them aware that they will be being contacted by the dealer and went over the rental stuff ( I don't need a car but still want to get the most out of the warranty) and they just kept saying they can only go on what is in the policy. Anything over the 7 days is up to me to deal with.

I'll leave that bit for now and wait for the car to go through the diagnostic part before speaking to Renault customer service as before that I have no real info to give them apart from just making them aware they have another faulty Zoe.

Work is being rather annoying whilst waiting for something that might cost me thousands.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yep, was 4 years, but that expired in April so I have to now deal with the Extended warranty people who are actually Car Care plan. Although you can get a hire car (not for the first 24 hours) it is only up to £50 a day and then only for 7 days ! I know that if there is a real motor fault it will take weeks if not months.
I've called them to make them aware that they will be being contacted by the dealer and went over the rental stuff ( I don't need a car but still want to get the most out of the warranty) and they just kept saying they can only go on what is in the policy. Anything over the 7 days is up to me to deal with.

I'll leave that bit for now and wait for the car to go through the diagnostic part before speaking to Renault customer service as before that I have no real info to give them apart from just making them aware they have another faulty Zoe.

Work is being rather annoying whilst waiting for something that might cost me thousands.
That is really unfortunate Zarni, I would still contact CS to make them aware and see if they can do something to help speed things up.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,266 Posts
The "lease warranty" if I can put it that way, so after the standard car warranty, only covers getting you to the nearest charger if you managed to run the traction battery flat, a totally different scenario. It still s***s of course.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Exact same problem that I had. Renault did diagnostics and there was some rotor sensor issue.
Today it is fixed by replacing the motor at no cost. Also the sound and red stop and orange esc light.and flickering PRND. After car went to sleep, I could drive again. But problem returned more often.
Car was pulling forward while throtling down en then stopped. Now I hope its is fixed with this new engine built 18/07/2018 23:03:34
Exactly the same issue as me apparently although I was told "Engine position sensor" which sounds the same thing. As it was described to me normally when they plug-in the CLIP tool it tells them the error and what they do to fix it. This one apparently orders them to compile a report to give Renault Technical (who I assume are based in France) and await further instruction from them. They are now involved in my car. I have a hire car till then and both Renault UK and the dealer have been very helpful. Particularly impressed with this dealer's EV knowledge too.

There's a whole bunch of process I've learnt from this such as hire cars come from asking Renault ZE Assistance when you break down (and are the quickest way to arrange the car to be taken to a garage and repaired).. and as a ZE owner you can ask Renault UK to cover fuel. None of this is offered until you ask. Renault UK will also keep an eye on the dealer etc and it may be their decision as to whether or not the hire car is to be extended.

Renault ZE Assistance were also very helpful, genuine and lovely people.. but ironically knew next to nothing about ZEs (by their own admission) :D.

Happy with the way Renault are handling things at present.. the breakdown process seems a bit confusing unless you know all the tricks and departments, some of them are better trained than others.. but they are doing everything I would like and no car is perfect considering there's 93,197 of them on the roads worldwide I'm sure a few issues creep in occasionally.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Renault ZE Assistance, from my understanding, basically just a branded subcontract to AXA. Who then sub-subcontract to local recovery companies. So yeah there are a couple of degrees of separation there which will lose any knowledge of EVs :)

Sometimes communication can go awry and as you say, it also helps to know the process. I learned both when mine had a problem. It went something like this (slightly abridged and it's still war and peace):

1. Call assistance, they tell me to call the dealer to make sure they're happy to receive and let them know
2. Dealer didn't have availability for 2 weeks and can't store the car til then (fair enough TBH don't hold this against them - they're extremely popular and seem to be almost singlehandedly propping up ZE customer service in the UK)
3. Call assistance, they arrange to get Zoe towed home. "Can I have a hire car?" Computer Says No, not until the Zoe arrives at the dealership. No exceptions.
4. Chuck £100 at the local garage to let me borrow a banger (because I'd rather stick with my trusted dealer than ask around for availability)
5. Dealer happy to receive and end of week to commence work after weekend, call assistance, they get the car transported and sort me a hire car
6. Wait (not a quick repair - half a day of disassembly, wait for parts etc)
7. Car hire expires, car hire company phones me to warn that if I don't return the car, someone's going to get fined (I presume me)
8. Phone dealer in first instance to see if they can extend it. Nope, nothing appearing on their system, normally it's all automatic apparently.
9. Phone Customer Relations and start "a complaint" (as irritating as this was getting I wasn't annoyed enough for formal complaints and I know from past experience this means they hassle my dealer, but what can I do)
10. After a few days of back and forth emails and phone calls and reassurances and stress, I'm told there was a communication breakdown with AXA somewhere, I'd never have been liable (as the hire is in their name) so Enterprise shouldn't have been hassling me, and it's all sorted so please just stay in the hire car and relax
11. Car repaired, call hire company, they say please drop the car off at our centre just around the corner from the dealership (different to previous time but they offered to taxi me the 300 yards between them, which I said wasn't necessary)
12. Everyone lived happily ever after

Lessons:
  • ZE Assistance = AXA, pretty much, and their communication with Renault may not be seamless at all times
  • If you want a hire car right away, you're going to have to be willing to let Renault choose where the Zoe goes for repair (as let's be honest, why should they pay you to hire a car while you wait for your favourite? It's just a shame they aren't consistent)
  • Normally the hire car is automatically extended Somewhere In The System and you don't have to worry about it. Said system is mysterious and mythological enough that it took my Customer Relations agent a few days of phoning round to sort it (this also means, IMHO, that it's unlikely they'll get snotty and restrict it to the contractual 3 days any time soon - they probably don't even know how)
  • Customer Relations, well I always strive to be polite and humble and in my experience they do work hard to help you out. You have a single point of contact, who you can even text.
  • If anything, it's easiest to just sit back and relax in your hire car and not worry. It's their problem to sort out if anything goes wrong. But I take no responsibility if anyone does this and does get an invoice from the hire co somehow.
The process normally:
1. Phone assistance to forewarn them, they will ask you to phone dealer
2. Phone dealer, find out if/when they can accept
3. Phone assistance and get yourself and the car recovered one way or another
4. Once car is at dealer (or due there within 24 hours I think), hire car can be dropped off for you
5. Just carry on in the hire car and don't worry about a thing. Normally, everything's automatically extended behind the scenes even if your paperwork has a return date.
6. At some point you get a call from the dealer saying it's ready - sometimes the hire people also get wind of this and call to ask how you plan to return the car.
7. Advise hire company you will drive car to dealership and leave it there and leave the key with reception (unless maybe they have a centre just around the corner)
8. Go pick your Zoe up, drop key off, and enjoy

A load of rambling stuff but hopefully it helps anyone trying to get their head around the process!

I can't fault any of the "components", not the dealer, not Enterprise, not Renault Customer Relations, probably not even AXA (communication blips happen). It's purely the system, and the complication it entails. And even then - would you expect Renault to have their own private breakdown service, hire car fleet etc? Got to admit, they're doing the best they can within a reasonable budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Conscious I never posted a follow-up (which was pretty poor form as the OP) - my car had the PEC unit replaced and 3 weeks later the exact same fault happened again. This time I went straight to the MD of Renault UK - and the codes were sent to a technician from France. The biggest problem I was told UK dealers have with the ZOE is that there are usually only one or two mechanics who have had the requisite training to look at the drivetrain per dealer and the fact that the zoe needs to be parked in a bay with lots of room around it when there's a fault with the drivetrain (health & safety & insurance in case somebody backs into a poorly earthed drive battery connection) - which inevitably leads to the car being parked for some time if one of those people are away on holiday or the "big bay" is full. The french technician took one look at the "rotor position failure" code and ordered a replacement motor. Since then the car has given me 19,000 faultless miles - although I never could get it to charge from a schedule - that's my latest beef.

To be honest I'd pretty much forgotten about it, but the fact that others have suffered not only the same fault, but the same shocking customer service while the fault is resolved does give me cause to think now that my PCP is coming to a close - do I really want to go through this again?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks for the update Dominic.

Re the scheduled charge, is your car connected to the network? If not, it may need Fuse F31 pulling and reinstalling to reboot the TCU and reconnect the car to the servers; it relies on these to tell it when to begin and end a calendar based charge session.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Scheduled charge requires one of the subscriptions I think. It's a cheap one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I have a subscription. have had for 2 years (!) just never got round to sorting this - I have the R-Link tech support team looking at it

81 - 100 of 108 Posts