Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be no information anywhere online on whether any Zoe model of any trim level has rear curtain airbags.
Can any current Zoe owner clarify? It's a key consideration for us with young kids.
Several car dealers I've asked are as stumped as I am :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks, evescu. Certainly interesting to take a look at the inner layout of the Zoe from a safety perspective :)
So no airbags of any kind that extend to the rear of the Zoe? I admit to being a bit surprised, for a car whose safety credentials are generally lauded. It would be lovely if the car industry could use less ambiguous language with such important features of their vehicles (or lack of such features :-( )

·
Registered
503 Posts
I’m only speculating; this is not a family car and if you have a child seat in the back, that already is mandatory and provides some safety for the child. Check the NCAP video as well:

Probably having the reinforced door in the back was deemed sufficient? I don’t think Renault, or the industry, try to hide it actively; it’s just easier to sell a car by pointing out what it has, not what it lacks... and a dealer doesn’t care much about the details, sadly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, it's not something they would want to advertise too clearly. The dealerships I spoke to yesterday seemed to believe that the seat airbags would cover the back, but at this stage it would take quite a lot of detail to convince me. Seeing me unconvinced, one told me not to obsess about the airbags unless I was planning on having a crash. Extraordinary.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
Now I wonder how many other cars with 5 stars also have no rear airbags!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
I'd never even considered rear curtains on a car like Zoe, size and price point. Had me scuttling off to check if ZS EV has them, by jingo it has.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear you'll get them in the ZS EV - it would certainly reassure me. Even the Peugeot iOn seems to advertise its rear curtain airbags. I guess I'll just have to avoid the temptation of getting myself involved in a side-on collision!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I always use the NCAP website as already mentioend

shows side impact protection

in the end, any car could be involved in an accident and have occupants killed no matter the ncap or number of airbags

JJ

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
The test is dated 2013 so didn't require all the extra features that you need now to get 5 stars.

The 2020 car may be quite different.

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
The test is dated 2013 so didn't require all the extra features that you need now to get 5 stars.

The 2020 car may be quite different.
I don’t think it gets retested as the ZOE will run on the same rating. It’s fundamentally the same car safety wise.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,041 Posts
The steel body is probably the same so I expect that the crash test would be as good.

Nowadays you need a whole list of extra stuff to get 5 stars. From ABS to emergency brake assist. I don't know them all. Maybe extra airbags are now required.

Renault could easily have added these over the years for all I know. Or they could just rely on the old test result for marketing purposes.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,252 Posts
Many thanks, evescu. Certainly interesting to take a look at the inner layout of the Zoe from a safety perspective :)
So no airbags of any kind that extend to the rear of the Zoe? I admit to being a bit surprised, for a car whose safety credentials are generally lauded. It would be lovely if the car industry could use less ambiguous language with such important features of their vehicles (or lack of such features :-( )
I'd be interested to see what difference rear airbags make to survivability rates, if any.

Given the robust chassis, well-enclosed rear, stiffened floor pan by virtue of the battery pack, it's safety credentials might be not at all impugned by the lack of rear air bags.

There is an issue of diminishing returns here, for more and more safety kit. Kids in the rear would be separately strapped and the presence/design of airbags might actually be detrimental to them, for others of larger proportions it is rather specific to the size and shape of the occupants (hence some front airbags have the means of adjusting the inflation power according to the weight they are measuring on the seat).

I'd be happy to have them, if installed, but I can't visualise it as much of a negative. But if you have the data for the risk mitigation that rear air bags can provide, I'd very much like to see it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I imagine you are well protected from intrusion in the Zoe, and that kids should be (and ours are) in full length child seats with head protection, so hopefully that will mitigate most of the impact. Perhaps I should be thinking more about the safety of adults travelling the in back. Many years back, I took my eyes off the road for a moment too long and idled into the back of a lorry just at walking speed, and boy did my knee hurt after hitting the dashboard! At 30 mph or more, my concern would be from any rapid movement of the entire shell of the vehicle towards the head of the occupants. But maybe the narrow dimensions at the rear head area would render curtain airbags ineffective anyway? (small gap between heads and edge of roof?)
Really appreciate everyone's input on this, as it was my first post :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,252 Posts
The knee thing is interesting, and I always take a moment to consider this. If there is very poor clearance in a car, I tend to set the driver's seat back somewhat artificially further, not so much that I can't control the car but perhaps more than I'd tend to prefer for comfort.

Quite a few cars I have been in recently are bad for this.

Clearance for heads with 'aerodynamic' roofs is an ongoing battle of mileage efficiency versus safety.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If your lap belt is properly secured it should hold you in place and if pre-tensioners fire it will make sure as you're held back in your seat. Your legs might "flap" as they aren't secured, but there should be little pressure through them. I suggest that making sure your seat belt is correctly across your hips and you are in 100% comfortable control of the car should be the priority. I suspect you weren't going fast enough for the pre-tensioners to kick in and you will have got a small bruise rather than a more serious injury?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it was a bruise only, thankfully. I probably sit a bit too close to the wheel generally - a bad habit of mine. It was an opportunity to take mental note of just how much force is involved in vehicle collisions, even at low speeds, and has probably made me more mindful of airbags than I would have been.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts