Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be worth getting a better idea of maintenance costs for the Zoe

What repairs/replacements have you had done? (if in-warranty, do you know how much it would have cost to do out of warranty?)
How much have you paid for servicing at each annual interval?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Re repairs, the consensus is that you don't want to paying for any on the EV side! A failure of a component could result in writing off the car due to cost to replace.

The £289 a year to extend the warranty is the best approach, at least until there are independent EV repairers and used parts are more readily available.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its been covered before here …. Annual service advice for Renault Zoe
Thanks although it's useful to know that generally servicing costs between 70 to 150 and varies with dealers, I'm interested in a fuller picture like does it get more expensive after a few years? Which years are most expensive etc.

Re repairs, the consensus is that you don't want to paying for any on the EV side! A failure of a component could result in writing off the car due to cost to replace.

The £289 a year to extend the warranty is the best approach, at least until there are independent EV repairers and used parts are more readily available.
Agreed, that is a no-brainer if you have that option. I'm curious to understand what will happen to the 2013 models? Which components should owners be most worried about (besides battery and power control unit?)?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Thanks although it's useful to know that generally servicing costs between 70 to 150 and varies with dealers, I'm interested in a fuller picture like does it get more expensive after a few years? Which years are most expensive etc.
Third year is dearer as the 12V battery is replaced at that service, I think if you are unsure of a dealers integrity its better to book a service online Renault Service Booking Online

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Agreed, that is a no-brainer if you have that option. I'm curious to understand what will happen to the 2013 models? Which components should owners be most worried about (besides battery and power control unit?)?
Hopefully some 2013 owners paid to extend as it can't be done after the 4 year factory warranty ends.

A 2013 does also have 5 year drive train warranty on some EV bits. Most are battery rentals so have battery warranty forever.

Even a faulty charge socket would probably be close to a grand.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully some 2013 owners paid to extend as it can't be done after the 4 year factory warranty ends.

A 2013 does also have 5 year drive train warranty on some EV bits. Most are battery rentals so have battery warranty forever.

Even a faulty charge socket would probably be close to a grand.
Where did you get that figure from?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,161 Posts
It was actually EUR 650, and that came from my dealer (broken inner flap hinge; I then did a thanks but no thanks and fixed it myself with a tie rib and two component resin. Had it happened now I would have used a 10 quid BMW i3 cap). A ridiculous amount, but somewhat (just somewhat) understandable if you realize the socket and the entire HV loom up to the BCB is replaced as one part. The nasty part is that, as it was the flimsy hinge, it was assessed as user mishandling and not covered in either the regular, nor the drive train warranty.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It was actually EUR 650, and that came from my dealer (broken inner flap hinge; I then did a thanks but no thanks and fixed it myself with a tie rib and two component resin. Had it happened now I would have used a 10 quid BMW i3 cap). A ridiculous amount, but somewhat (just somewhat) understandable if you realize the socket and the entire HV loom up to the BCB is replaced as one part. The nasty part is that, as it was the flimsy hinge, it was assessed as user mishandling and not covered in either the regular, nor the drive train warranty.
Mine was changed last month under warranty, the car was only 5 months old and the inner flap was stiff and squeaky, I assumed they would just grease the hinge, but as they were also stumped trying to figure out the intermittent charging problem I was having they changed the socket and flap and all the wiring as well

Outcome. intermittent Charge issues seemed to have stopped but new charge flap is still stiff and squeaky so will grease it myself before winter.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
^^ agree, when the flap on my first Zoe went tight I bought a tin of Halfords Silicone spray covered the plug socket and sprayed the hinge as I'd read of a few broken flaps.
That was also the first thing I did when my wife bought a ex courtesy Zoe and when I got my Q90.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the input. I have read multiple posts on the reliability of the Zoe and these posts shed light on exactly what people mean by that besides BCI and the BMS update.

@yoh-there have you had other repairs done?

·
4,161 Posts
I "only" had the motor replaced. Batch of motors with bad bearings. Was a warranty job. I never heard of that problem for at least two years now, until....... today. Dutch forum member bought a second hand which seems to have the problem. In all reality, that is a thing of the past. Other than that and the self-repaired socket never anything major. Tires is the biggest problem. I wonder why :whistle::D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I "only" had the motor replaced. Batch of motors with bad bearings. Was a warranty job. I never heard of that problem for at least two years now, until....... today. Dutch forum member bought a second hand which seems to have the problem. In all reality, that is a thing of the past. Other than that and the self-repaired socket never anything major. Tires is the biggest problem. I wonder why :whistle::D
Was there a correlation between when those cars were manufactured/registered and whether they had dodgy motors or not?

·
Vendor
1,518 Posts
I'm interested in a fuller picture like does it get more expensive after a few years?
The Zoe continues to alternate between an A service and a B service. The price of these differ at dealers due to different labour rates (our A service is £65 + VAT and the B Service is £73 + VAT). Then on every 3rd service you also have to replace the 12V battery (£125+VAT from us). Every 4th service the brake fluid is due a change and the coolant gets changed every 5th service. Then it all starts again.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The Zoe continues to alternate between an A service and a B service. The price of these differ at dealers due to different labour rates (our A service is £65 + VAT and the B Service is £73 + VAT). Then on every 3rd service you also have to replace the 12V battery (£125+VAT from us). Every 4th service the brake fluid is due a change and the coolant gets changed every 5th service. Then it all starts again.
I am hoping my 12v Battery lasts till more than the 3rd service :) as will probably hit that at 14 to 15 months from new.. Hopefully its not a "Compulsory" item and logic and function take precedence over waste and profit!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you :). How much is a brake fluid change and coolant change normally?

I am hoping my 12v Battery lasts till more than the 3rd service :) as will probably hit that at 14 to 15 months from new.. Hopefully its not a "Compulsory" item and logic and function take precedence over waste and profit!
Posts in previous threads have stated that it's only checked at that point and if they determine it needs replacing then it will be recommended to do so

·
4,161 Posts
Posts in previous threads have stated that it's only checked at that point and if they determine it needs replacing then it will be recommended to do so
Not in my experience. More like: "Battery replacement is due now. We checked and it's still fine, but it is in the schedule and it's better to do it". Like the air filter it was my call to make though.
@Badger in Black Thank you! Just to be 100% sure: coolant I assume you mean the yellow liquid cooling the motor (Q's) and electronics and not the heatpump - A/C fluid, right?

·
4,161 Posts
Was there a correlation between when those cars were manufactured/registered and whether they had dodgy motors or not?
Without a doubt, but I never figured that out. AFAIK it was mostly early birds (we're talking 2013 and early 2014 deliveries) and when at the time I suggested to my friendly mechanic they probably had a nice job replacing all those motors, he assured me it was absolutely not a problem on all they sold. The problem has definitely faded and for quite a while which makes me think it was either a batch of bad bearings or some production / tolerance error.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts