Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to think we electric ZOE owners are being taken for a ride by Renault main dealers for the cost of servicing. Compared to an ICE car there is little in the way of consumables required at each service.
I was told that my 4th service (done last year) was a big one, and would cost £250 because the brake fluid needs changing.
I got a bit of a shock when I asked the price for 5th service due now. Because they have to change the coolant it will be £350. Surely It can’t cost an extra £100 to change a bit of antifreeze against changing and bleeding the braking system.
Anyway had enough of these sort of prices, booked into a local EV independent garage who will do the same as the main dealer for £175.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't see any valid reason to use dealer service at all after the warranty period is up. Never did, never will. My Zoe is just over 3 years old so....Renault service department will never see me 👍

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,751 Posts
Don't see any valid reason to use dealer service at all after the warranty period is up. Never did, never will. My Zoe is just over 3 years old so....Renault service department will never see me 👍
You don't even need to use Renault during the warranty period.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cavalier,

Following on your point raised, is there any information about EV trained garages in the UK for a reference here in the forum?
Obviously I am interested in such a garages in Scotland, but it will be helpful if we have a dedicated topic regarding this....anyone?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,751 Posts
Ahem:

·
Registered
204 Posts
As far as I can tell, none of the services require any work on the HV system*, so any garage can do it. They are used to hybrid anyway. My local independent was happy to do my Zoe first service - my Zoe was their first EV.

*Some procedures want a battery lockout for safety (brake fluid) - there is a question whether that is overly cautious and whether all independents would have equipment to do this

·
Registered
148 Posts
As far as I can tell, none of the services require any work on the HV system*, so any garage can do it. They are used to hybrid anyway. My local independent was happy to do my Zoe first service - my Zoe was their first EV.

*Some procedures want a battery lockout for safety (brake fluid) - there is a question whether that is overly cautious and whether all independents would have equipment to do this
This is what I was thinking as well, everything minus the HV system is as any other car. I read about the brake fluid here but for the life of me I don't see how this is the connection with the HV system. In my last ICE car (Audi S6) you had to use a program to open the rear brakes to replace them because of the electric handbrake but even that was done very easy with OBD 11 app and OBD dongle.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
211 Posts
In DDT4all (here I go again sorry) in X10 (Zoe) and Clio you do have to go through a routine of bleeding the brake system with it (or can clip) I see that alright - what kind of 'tools' do they need anyway to 'lock out' the HV system anyways? - lift up the drivers floor mat , undo 4 plastic screw lugs and pull the massive high voltage fuse and leave it to de energise for around 20 minutes isnt it? - I reckon terms like ' have to de energise the HV system' and 'special tools' are just a way to screw more money out of the owner (or to be specific a niche market EV owner) ... but then again I could be wrong .
Anyway heres a video maybe going some way to explaining why they charge what they charge and why they have to charge it apparently:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well maybe main dealerships still have the edge over indi garages, albeit expensive. I’m still having the 5th service, which involves the coolant change done at an indi garage. I will ask them when I go if it is beyond their capabilities to change the brake fluid, making reference to this video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts