Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 09.2014 Q210 that I bought in 05.2019.

Since i bought this car I always charged at 16A without any problems, but when I need to charge with current lower than 16A the charge stops in a random way... sometimes after 1minute, sometimes after 5, 15, 1 hour.... I don’t understand why.
When the charge stops, car tries to start charging again for 3 times and after that stops completely. I need to unplug and start over with a higher current or else it won’t charge. That’s a problem when I sleep away from home and I try to charge with lower current

Does anyone had also this problem?

P.S.: sorry for bad English

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, I've had this problem lots of times with my Q90. Frankly, the Zoe is terrible at charging. Many other cars will just chug along when the Zoe throws a tantrum. Nothing I found out you can do about it, except try and know which charge points work for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've had this problem lots of times with my Q90. Frankly, the Zoe is terrible at charging. Many other cars will just chug along when the Zoe throws a tantrum. Nothing I found out you can do about it, except try and know which charge points work for you.
Hi DutchDriver,

Thank you for your reply.
In fact i've already tried with several chargers (10A and 13A options) but never found one that works. Even the granny cable don't work as expected since also stops after some (random) time...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quite agree with you. Last year we had a holiday with friends in Norfolk at a cottage. The owner had a socket in his garage across the parking area (not attached to the house). My friend could charge his Leaf on that socket. Zoe refused point blank to even recognise the plug! Our Zoe had to be plugged into a socket in the house through the front door which meant we could only charge during the day while we were in the cottage. Thankfully there were several other charge points close by.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,373 Posts
Thank god she checks for decent earthing, with is the main issue at "cottages".

As for low current, that is a bit weird. A Q model should start/run fine at 13A. 10A is a bit iffy. R models ga go a bit lower. I never had an issue with my Q. Granny charger is set at 12A. To be honest, I suspect a slightly dodgy pin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank god she checks for decent earthing, with is the main issue at "cottages".

As for low current, that is a bit weird. A Q model should start/run fine at 13A. 10A is a bit iffy. R models ga go a bit lower. I never had an issue with my Q. Granny charger is set at 12A. To be honest, I suspect a slightly dodgy pin.
Hi yoh-there,

Before anything, you did an excellent job with CanZE :)

Well, thank you for your reply, but i've already tried with several chargers. The only way to charge with no problem at all is at least with 16A current defined.
With my Leaf i can charge at 6A with no problem, but with Zoe not even at 13A...

For what i can see here is not a defect, it's personality :LOL:

·
4,373 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, that's truly always appreciated and a lovely balance to the insane nonsense sometimes found in fora :)

I hear you, but it is not my experience. Whenever possible, I try to collect data. Admittedly, the following link does not list the Q90, but I am fairly confident the entire charger setup is identical to the Q210. Charging and cosphi

It does not jive with your experience, which of course I do no dispute at all. The personality issue seems to be "personal" indeed, as in, unique to the individual car. Or something else is amiss.

As for charging at 6A: THis is truly impossible with the ZOE, as the filter section alone pulls 6A reactive current. While this is not real (as in ca-ching) power, it does count in the current budget of the cable / chargepoint.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It could be the granny charger you have - I've had no issues with my R110 at 10A - albeit I've only done it occasionally. It also works for me with a long garden extension lead, (Granny charger 10A, lead rated at 13A which gets warm)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up, that's truly always appreciated and a lovely balance to the insane nonsense sometimes found in fora :)

I hear you, but it is not my experience. Whenever possible, I try to collect data. Admittedly, the following link does not list the Q90, but I am fairly confident the entire charger setup is identical to the Q210. Charging and cosphi

It does not jive with your experience, which of course I do no dispute at all. The personality issue seems to be "personal" indeed, as in, unique to the individual car. Or something else is amiss.

As for charging at 6A: THis is truly impossible with the ZOE, as the filter section alone pulls 6A reactive current. While this is not real (as in ca-ching) power, it does count in the current budget of the cable / chargepoint.
Thank you for the link... i will try to make some diagnostics with my CanZe regarding this problem, to see if we can find where is the problem.

Here in Portugal there are more people with same problem in Q210 but not on R240, that's the reason that i said "personality", related to Q210. I believe it could be something in ZE protocol, since as i know IEC62196 minimum standard is 6A...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be the granny charger you have - I've had no issues with my R110 at 10A - albeit I've only done it occasionally. It also works for me with a long garden extension lead, (Granny charger 10A, lead rated at 13A which gets warm)
I have 3 chargers. One fixed current (16A) that works fine, and 2 current adjustable from 6A to 20A (and 32A). With none of those adjustable it's possible to charge with lower current than 16A, if i select a current higher or equal to 16A it charges great.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Zoe is not very efficient at charging at low amps. It is because it uses the same method for rapid charging and the trade off is that there is a lot of efficiency loss at low amps. My Zoe would randomly stop at 8A, but on the 32A home charger it is fine. Q models will be worse than R models as the Q models rapid charge and so are not as good at slow charging as the R models that can only charge at max 22kw. Usually opening the door of the car is enough to wake it up and it will start charging again, at least thats what my Zoe does.

Usual earthing issues affect getting it to start charging in the first place.

Cheers all.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,307 Posts
I've done literally 1000s of miles in my Zoe Q210 where granny charging was the only option. Never had an issue, thank goodness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Usually opening the door of the car is enough to wake it up and it will start charging again, at least thats what my Zoe does.
Yes, also happens with mine... may be i will make some kind of mechanism that could open and close door when charge stops :p

Usual earthing issues affect getting it to start charging in the first place.

Cheers all.
That's not the case related here...

Regards

·
Registered
32 Posts
With my Q210, 10A charging depends on earthing or other supply variations - it charges flawlessly overnight at one house but, at a different house, I used to use a mains timer to turn it off for a minute and on again every hour to recover from the random drop outs that occurred between the charger and the car.

·
4,373 Posts
There is an easy test if it's an earthing problem or not, but I'd rather not put it in words here, as it is dangerous and people tend to do stupid things. But if you insist on ticking that of your list, and can charge the car without people getting at it, PM me. BTW, CanZE does state the measured earth resistance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is an easy test if it's an earthing problem or not, but I'd rather not put it in words here, as it is dangerous and people tend to do stupid things. But if you insist on ticking that of your list, and can charge the car without people getting at it, PM me. BTW, CanZE does state the measured earth resistance.
Yes, i know how to test (10 ohm resistance) and work around the problem of high resistance on the ground line, but this is not the problem. If it was a ground related problem the car wouldn't charge at any current...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With my Q210, 10A charging depends on earthing or other supply variations - it charges flawlessly overnight at one house but, at a different house, I used to use a mains timer to turn it off for a minute and on again every hour to recover from the random drop outs that occurred between the charger and the car.
I think the problem could be related with one of two things. High voltage (240/245V) or harmonics presence.... But i also know that this is a normal and recurrent problem to several Q210 users, at least in Portugal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts