Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took 5 yr old Zoe in for service yesterday (I've had it 29 months) MOT was done last week in June (postponed from March) spring broken on near side, advised to be replaced in pairs & also need to replace drop links? A cost of £462! I pointed out that I had the suspension done on driver side about 18 months ago & the drop links were replaced then & why wasn't this picked up on MOT? I only do short hop journey's 5 out of 7 days a week. They said springs can just break I could have gone over a pot hole...here's the video they sent me...https://uk.ivhc.com/holdcroft/7010455/2542236DG15XFT2102020
I also pointed out that a similar job had been done about 18 months ago on the drivers side suspension where upon they said they could get away with using those drop links... Opinions valued please. Also apologies for sending video if it's not allowed for data protection purposes. I love my Zoe EV and as a women the less messing around I have to do the better for me but it does leave me wondering about the make of car I've chosen...thank you for any support.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Take it to an independent garage? Anyone can do this sort of work on a Zoe.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It's a very heavy car on Clio suspension, this is a common issue.

Reactions: Kelly McLellan

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Not sure if Bilstein or someone do a kit. Others will know better.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
Mine (2013) will go in for new drop links for the third time next week. It's indeed a weak point; if I am not mistaken Sandy calls them cast from molten chocolate. I have not seen excessive spring or damper issues in the fora, but I could be mistaken. I indeed have this work usually done by my local "under the arches" (EV dealer is out 40km one way), but she's in for her yearly maintenance thingy so there.

note: my country is littered with nasty speed-bumps everywhere. That sure doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
It’s pretty cool. If the new Zoes suspension wasn’t so good I’d probably upgrade.
I am only on day 3 and 170 miles, but agree suspension is better. I currently don't think steering is as good though - maybe changes were needed for LKA? I guess I just need to get used to it?

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
536 Posts
I have yet to drive a ZE50 to compare it to my 2.5 years of driving a ZE40. The problem I have is that I once worked in the motor trade (1960s to 1980s) and just drive every vehicle "as I find it".
There is still hope though, as a new Renault dealership has just opened its doors a couple of miles from me, and has a shiny ZE50 demonstrator on the forecourt (y)

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
510 Posts
Broken coils springs are very common on many makes and models of cars. They are made from very high tensile steel ( spring steel ! ) and can suffer fatigue failure especially when they corrode. Fatigue failure is extremely variable so it possible that one side fails and the other side almost lasts for ever.
It's not essential to change the other side in my opinion.
The trade likes to do both sides as once they've got tools out and their brain in gear the second side is faster and they can charge twice as much.

Alternatively, don't fix it if it's not broken.

I'm sure I've read on this forum that the suspension on ZE20/40 is based on the Megane not the Clio, although body structure started as a Clio.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Broken coils springs are very common on many makes and models of cars. They are made from very high tensile steel ( spring steel ! ) and can suffer fatigue failure especially when they corrode. Fatigue failure is extremely variable so it possible that one side fails and the other side almost lasts for ever.
It's not essential to change the other side in my opinion.
The trade likes to do both sides as once they've got tools out and their brain in gear the second side is faster and they can charge twice as much.

Alternatively, don't fix it if it's not broken.

I'm sure I've read on this forum that the suspension on ZE20/40 is based on the Megane not the Clio, although body structure started as a Clio.
Mostly broken springs are down quality of paint job ( of the springs), servicing car ( avoiding paint damage) and/ or road grit.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's a very heavy car on Clio suspension, this is a common issue.
As far as I understood from the dealer, the suspension is not from Clio, but from Megane, especially because of the added weight. However, I have not seen it with my own eyes and don't have the technical knowledge, so you may be right. Do you have any source for your info?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nope, just misremembered.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
Had both my front springs snap in last couple of months of warranty (before I then extended it), drops links were replaced then too (second time) under warranty (although dealer denied they had been replaced, like I couldn't check). I replaced my drop links myself (3rd set in 5 years) for under £20 and they were still good when I traded in car.

Indeed many of the components appear to be made of out chocolate or cheese.

Reactions: Kelly McLellan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts