Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for alternatives to replace my nearly-four-year-old Zoe ZE40. Nothing wrong with the car, it's been as faultless as a Renault can be, and a great introduction to EVs, but I have no faith in the dealerships, and Renault as a marque, so am discounting upgrading to the ZE50.

I have limited parking space if I want to use my car port, so I'm wondering how much bigger the ZS is - I've looked at the dimensions, but it's difficult to equate that to actual "feel". It looks a better car on spec, how is the dealer network and support?

I know a few have gone from Zoe to ZS @Sandy ? How do you find it? What about efficiency compared to the Zoe?

Any insights would be welcome!

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,977 Posts
MG aren't so hot either. Soul EV is worth a look. I had a first gen and it's quite short. Newer one is a bit longer but shorter than a Niro. Not too wide but tall instead. Zoe is also quite tall. Stellantis small cars like e208 are closest on size. Zoe is well packaged and has more space in it than you think.

Think ZS is closer to leaf in size.

Zoe is pretty efficient so only Kia/Hyundai will get close.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

This is the space I have. This is not my car BTW, this was the demonstrator I used to see if a Zoe would fit OK.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,977 Posts
You might struggle with anything bigger than a Zoe. Honda E is tiny. Corsa is wider than the Zoe by a few cm I think. I think the ZS would be too wide as you'd struggle to get door open. Looks tricky with the Zoe.

That drain needs altering so there isn't that big lump in the way. Will save tripping over it or catching a door on it.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might struggle with anything bigger than a Zoe. Honda E is tiny. Corsa is wider than the Zoe by a few cm I think. I think the ZS would be too wide as you'd struggle to get door open. Looks tricky with the Zoe.

That drain needs altering so there isn't that big lump in the way. Will save tripping over it or catching a door on it.
Its been fine so far, I used to park a Honda Civic under there, but had to park forwards, as there was a dirt strip to the side of the drive (since concreted in)

I appreciate your comments though!

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Automotive side-view mirror Grille

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
This is the space I have. This is not my car BTW, this was the demonstrator I used to see if a Zoe would fit OK.
Wow that is tight. I am starting to think about what will replace my lease Zoe later this year and (thankfully) don't have to worry about parking as we have huge driveways at our new home :p but if it helps make you feel better massive gas bills 😄

Reactions: Eclectic

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,459 Posts
Ora Cat or move? ;)

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
Ora Cat or move? ;)
The CAT looks cute but the boot is tiny and not great headroom in back. I struggle to know where it fits in EV market as overall size is similar to ID3!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
I'm looking for alternatives to replace my nearly-four-year-old Zoe ZE40. Nothing wrong with the car, it's been as faultless as a Renault can be, and a great introduction to EVs, but I have no faith in the dealerships, and Renault as a marque, so am discounting upgrading to the ZE50.

I have limited parking space if I want to use my car port, so I'm wondering how much bigger the ZS is - I've looked at the dimensions, but it's difficult to equate that to actual "feel". It looks a better car on spec, how is the dealer network and support?

I know a few have gone from Zoe to ZS @Sandy ? How do you find it? What about efficiency compared to the Zoe?

Any insights would be welcome!

Upgrading from Zoe to the ZS was the best car move I've ever made. One of the big advantages was obviously the jump up in range from a 22kWh Zoe to a 44kWh ZS but going from a 40kWh Zoe you won't notice that. Build quality has proven decent, couple of little annoyances, the centre of the P (park) badge has came off, you don't even notice it. Couple of cracks in the pleather (but not complete bolster collapse like the Zoe suffers from). Fragile front grill, which I've bumped twice now and needed replacing (still waiting on round 2 replacement). But paintwork is great (Zoe had a reaction dealer refused to repair), badges don't flake. 18k and all tyres are like new, no Zoe shoulder wear for me now. Drop links don't rattle like loose change in a tin.

Its the extras I've appreciated, roof bars, proper ones that don't have me worried when I use them (the ones I had for the Zoe were great, but because there was no published roof load I was always a bit worried about loading it too much). Full sunroof is brilliant, even though I've got the blind permanently drawn in winter as it traps warm air natural light still gets into cabin and lightens its up a lot. Kids love the fact there is a lot more space and more glass to look out of. Good improvement in boot size.

Foot print wise there isn't a lot in it, worth measuring out the cars foot print in your carport, looks to me like it'll fit though. Fold mirrors in before pulling into the space perhaps.

I've got decent range in Summer, more than double what I'd get in Zoe, but it doesn't show as high mpkWh as the Zoe but goes further on equivalent charge. A foible with some claiming its all about the mpkWh but really its all about how far you go between stops. Winter range i'm seeing 120-140 depending on trip. Which considering in the Zoe I could realistically get 60miles before car was screaming at me is pretty good.

Battery degradation is ever present in the ZS just like it was with the Zoe but its not nearly so severe and the range seems unaffected (unlike Zoe which definitely saw a drop in winter range corresponding to the drop in SOH).

You'll miss 22kW 3 phase AC on the Zoe, only thing I genuinely miss. But DC charging mostly makes up for it.

Handling is similar I'd say, Zoe maybe more surefooted going into a bed, but it used to boing on its suspension coming out of fast bends, the ZS feels a bit light out of bends but adapting your style to slower in and faster out suits the MG well.

For me the Zoe was a great first foray into EV ownership, the 3 phase AC made the car work with its lower range, and it was more quirky. The ZS is a car, I find I just drive it and rarely bother about eaking out range like I used to enjoy (at times) doing with the Zoe. I probably could get brilliant range out of the ZS but I find I just put the foot down and enjoy keeping up with traffic rather than watching out the back to see when I could lift off a bit like in the Zoe.

Best mpkWh I've got in the ZS was 5.1, and I wasn't trying, it was a hot summers day and we drove to a park (with water play) about 50miles from home and was surprised at how little power I'd used to get there. Zoe I could get higher but I'd be making an effort to get that range, in fact the same trip I'd usually get less and need to charge at the destination but with ZS I parked at charger, realised I'd used very little and moved to a regular space.

Would I recommend the ZS over a ZE40, absolutely. Would I recommend the ZS over a ZE50, based on range NO. Based on safety absolutely. Based on space absolutely.

I can only presume the new ZS is even better than the Original I've got, but if you get a good deal on an old shape model I'd still recommend it. Only big disadvantage, its not the lack of app or preheat (which only worked some of the time for me in the Zoe), is the lights and well comparing them to a ZE20/40 they are still better but not great unless you fit uprated bulbs or LEDs. Its about the only thing I'd say was just "acceptable".

Final comment, watch out for the charging flap, you need to get down on your knees, perhaps a mechanics crawler to plug it in? Nah but back in the real world its at about the same height as the Zoe but obscured unlike the Zoe, you'd soon get used to fitting the cable by feel much like I rarely looked at the Zoe port after popping the flap.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I went Zoe 22 to ZS 44, and you get much more car for your money. Doesn’t feel big to drive, but i doubt it’ll fit on your drive.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts
Oh how could I forget the heater. My Zoe was one of the better ones in that my heating always worked (except when the TCU was updated and it borked many other things, but that was early doors into ownership). The ZS EV blows the Zoe out of the water when it comes to sheer heat output, In normal mode the heating output of the ZS is akin to an ICE in its sheer heat volume. It heats up very quick too, instant by comparison to the Zoe which takes a while to build up some heat. Ok so the ZS isn't a heatpump car, but honestly you'll appreciate Effective over efficient when you feel the heat. As for not being efficient, well it clearly takes more power than a heatpump. Like I said I see 120-140miles winter range, that's with heater going for the whole trip and use of the heated seats (partner likes the seat on all the time, I like it on until I've warmed). If I ran about with the heater off I'd probably get 10miles more range.... so really its not that inefficient.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the thorough appraisal @Sandy, that's just what I was after. I'm looking at the new LR model, which appears to address a lot of the issues you mention, the grill, charging port etc, and of course has a much longer range. It also appears to be the same footprint as the first one. I did notice that, compared to the Zoe, the difference between mirrors folded or extended is very small, something like 40mm, so overall width is only 103mm more. I have a mate with an MG ZS, I'll see if he can back under my car port and exit the vehicle!

I went Zoe 22 to ZS 44, and you get much more car for your money. Doesn’t feel big to drive, but i doubt it’ll fit on your drive.
It will go on my drive OK, but may be tight under the car port - I need to do the "acid test" and find out. I do agree it is a lot more car for the money, especially with Renault dropping items from the spec of the ZE50 recently.

Thanks to everyone for your input, there's nothing like talking to people who own a vehicle for getting a better impression than from the dealers sales people! ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,442 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me throw a curveball at you... New MY22 trims
Yes, I saw this, and also reports that indicate all Zoes from April? 22 will have the Lane keep, AEB etc fitted.

TBH, the safety aspect isn't so much a concern to me. I started driving cars in 1969, well before seat belts were required, let alone air bags, crumple zones and any form of traction control! A 5* 2012 car is massively safer than then, and I feel safe enough owning one. What concerns me is the lack of expertise from Dealerships - the car was introduced in 2012-13, and after all this time you would expect that dealers would be far more adept at diagnosing and repairing faults than they are, unless Renault France are still keeping their cards close to their chest regarding releasing technical info to UK dealerships?

I also hear that the Zoe is being discontinued soon? When I looked on CarWow this week it stated that, "This model is now discontinued" unless that refers to the new line up you referred to?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts