Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a space saver wheel for emergency use and thought I'd try it out to make sure it fitted correctly, etc. but when driving the car flashes check ESC and won't go above around 18MPH and even then I have to keep letting off and accelerating in order to get the car to keep moving. Obviously this would get me out of a terrible situation but I certainly wouldn't want to use it to pull back on to a faster road.

I'm assuming there's no way to override this but wondered if anyone else had tried their space saver and been able to use it successfully?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
No 'space saver' (N.B. a silly name - you still need to reserve space to carry your full size wheel when using it !) ever works really well. With careful selection you might be able to find a size that results in a diameter within a few percent of the OE wheel but few manufacturers bother to do that accurately.

All such wheels are plastered with stickers advising not to use above 50mph but 25mph would probably be more realistic !

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, was hoping I could get away with it but it seems to be too big a difference for the car to cope with. Oh well, at least I tried it out before I needed it and won't be in for a terrible surprise if I was actually relying on it!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Never ever use a space saver on the front. Its documented in manuals if your car comes with one. If you get a flat on a front your supposed to move the rear wheel forward and stick the space saver on the rear.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never ever use a space saver on the front. Its documented in manuals if your car comes with one. If you get a flat on a front your supposed to move the rear wheel forward and stick the space saver on the rear.
I'm not sure what vehicles you have but neither our Focus, Kia Ceed or Mini state this in the manual. The Ceed only states not to install on the front axle if you're driving in icy conditions.

Obviously you should drive like you have a much skinnier tyre with a considerable amount less grip but that goes without saying.

Anyway, hopefully this topic will be useful to anyone else that buys a space saver from eBay, listed as compatible with the Zoe. Basically the car is undrivable with it on and you'd probably be better off waiting for breakdown recovery or using the tyre sealant and compressor.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ah, good to know. Wifey’s car had a front puncture. The spare was a right wee skinny thing so bottled it and put one of the winter wheels for a few days until tyre replaced. Cheers

·
Registered
467 Posts
will be a pain to lift both wheels off on 1 jack with a car weighting 1.5tonnes

I guess you can swap the good one off the back first, then use that one and swap at the front.nevermind

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Great. So all you need to carry is a spare wheel, 2 tonne Jack, axle stands and a wheel brace. Probably a torque wrench.

How many years of AA cover would that lot pay for?

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
Zoe had abs sensors in all 4 corners, the wheel diameter of your space saver must be miles off for it to react like this how much smaller is the diameter of the space saver?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts
Great. So all you need to carry is a spare wheel, 2 tonne Jack, axle stands and a wheel brace. Probably a torque wrench.

How many years of AA cover would that lot pay for?
I'd never change onto a space saver personally. I don't make up the guidance, but if folk are too stupid to take the rear good wheel off first and do the space saver they really shouldn't be allowed to drive.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd never change onto a space saver personally. I don't make up the guidance, but if folk are too stupid to take the rear good wheel off first and do the space saver they really shouldn't be allowed to drive.
I'll hand my licence in straight away. Done it several times and not died, then again I'm more than capable of moderating my driving to cope with the reduction of grip.

I'd wager most drivers can cope with understeer much better than they can with oversteer anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zoe had abs sensors in all 4 corners, the wheel diameter of your space saver must be miles off for it to react like this how much smaller is the diameter of the space saver?
Tyre size comparisons suggest around 5%. I must admit, I didn't check this prior to purchasing as the listing was specifically for a Zoe. Serves me right really.

Oh well, it's happily holding the car up on the drive whilst the original is in for repair. I even used a trolley jack without the car folding in half or catching fire.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
565 Posts
My son has just bought a space saver as he goes to remote parts of the Highlands where it would be very difficult to get a tyre company out. The OD is smaller (580mm) than the correct tyre (625mm), which also means it fits nicely in the boot
He has a ZE50 which I believe has “proper” TPMS, not rotational off the ABS sensors.
Anyone tried a space saver on the ZE50 ? if not I may need to give it a trial.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My son has just bought a space saver as he goes to remote parts of the Highlands where it would be very difficult to get a tyre company out. The OD is smaller than the correct tyre, which also means it fits nicely in the boot
He has a ZE50 which I believe has “proper” TPMS, not rotational off the ABS sensors.
Anyone tried a space saver on the ZE50 ? if not I may need to give it a trial.
I believe the ZE40 has proper TPMS too, at least Canze supports reading the TPMS sensor IDs from it.

This seems to be the ESC seeing that the wheel is spinning faster than the others so cutting power to the point that it's very difficult to hold any speed at all.

·
Registered
MY15 Q210 and an MY18 R110
319 Posts
If the wheel is smaller then you should be able to trick the car to a more sensible speed by disconnecting the ABS sensor on that wheel. Yes of course you need to be careful, yes it will give you a different warning but a "faulty" ABS sensor shouldn't stop driving at speed, the car should just bitch at you to get it fixed ASAFP.
If you are too stupid to understand moderation and be cautious then don't do this, but if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere or on a fast road then it just might be the safer call.

My sons Skoda has a "space saver" steel wheel with all of the stickers all over it telling you not to do over 50mph. It is however exactly the same size as the other wheels with a different but still perfectly acceptable tyre brand for the car.
Just saying that a sticky label is more about arse covering than engineering !

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
565 Posts
Another thought !
If the space saver is put on the front the differential will be working harder due to the different rotational speeds. Also, but less importantly, the smaller wheel will be creating a greater driving force.
The space saver really is a “ get you homer” ( trademark @yoh-there ) at much reduced speed and distance.
Maybe the procedure in case of a puncture should be
1 try the Renault supplied re-inflate system or buy another proprietary can system
2 see if someone can get to you to help
3 use the spacesaver

I can feel a test is required !

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you've got one I'd definitely try it out before you need it to see how it works for you.

On this one, the car will get up to about 20ish mph then cut all power and slow down until you lift off the accelerator, get down to somewhere under 10mph, and press again. I tried just holding it at various speeds but it always cut power and occasionally wouldn't speed up again until coming to a complete stop. That and the odd noises from the drivetrain put me off trying any further. If I get some time I might try sticking it on the back to see if this doesn't freak out the ESC so much.

Maybe it's just my car or that my space saver is just too far away from the standard size for it to cope, but it would have to be a pretty dire situation for it to be usable.

Anyway, standard wheel and tyre are now back on and all is good. Not sure I'll bother keeping the space saver to be honest!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a spacesaver bought from the Wheel Shop which says it's for 16 & 17" wheel (I have 17s) Renault ZOE 16" | Space Saver Wheel | The Wheel Shop Bought after my partner had a puncture on a country road after hitting a pothole at 5 oclock on a January evening last year - took Renault Assist (RAC, who were great) and flat bed 5 hours to get her home. Haven't had to use it thankfully, now not sure if I want to! I don't carry a jack, would rely on Renault Assist to change the wheel. Think @BogieMan has the priorities correct. We don't stray too far from home any way but having to do 18mph for 30 miles doesn't really bear thinking about... Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Q90
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a spacesaver bought from the Wheel Shop which says it's for 16 & 17" wheel (I have 17s) Renault ZOE 16" | Space Saver Wheel | The Wheel Shop Bought after my partner had a puncture on a country road after hitting a pothole at 5 oclock on a January evening last year - took Renault Assist (RAC, who were great) and flat bed 5 hours to get her home. Haven't had to use it thankfully, now not sure if I want to! I don't carry a jack, would rely on Renault Assist to change the wheel. Think @BogieMan has the priorities correct. We don't stray too far from home any way but having to do 18mph for 30 miles doesn't really bear thinking about... Thanks for the heads up.
Do you know what tyre size it has? Maybe it's a closer match than mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts