Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all.

I have a problem with my zoe. I purchased a granny cable from Amazon and everyone online said it works fine with the zoe.

But I can't get mine to stay charging. It starts happily but then cuts off after it gains a single percentage. I have to keep going into the app and restarting it from my desk at work. (where I work has a line of plugs for electric cars.)

I asked the other drivers (all hybrids) and they get along with the plugs fine. But my zoe is fussy and it has gotten worse. Now she starts for about a min then stops and refuses to carry on even if I click start charging in the app.

I've had it now. I just want the damn car to charge without needing to be baby sat. It behaves fine on a normal, fast or rapid charge so it would seem it is the slower cable it hates.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know how I can get around it. I'm hoping it is a stupid setting that needs to be changed. I know the cable is fine as I checked it on my colleagues outlander and it behaved fine.

Thanks in advance x

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,722 Posts
Welcome Sarah.

ZOE has no fundamental problems with granny leads whatsoever. I even build my own. It is finicky though about a couple of things. We could go over the most usual culprits, but as you can imagine it's mostly tech stuff (decent earthing of the source being the most important one). Before going down that route the fundamental question from my end is: if you want it to "just work" and appreciate help on how to put up with the dealer, Renault, etc., I am personally totally uninterested and unable help. If you are more interested in technical help, there are quite a few technically savvy people on board to give it a shot.

In case of the latter it would help if you could indicate:
- brand of granny cable. Pic would help. If it has a settings, please indicate the ones you use.
- if you tried the same setup elsewhere (and I don't mean at the neighbors)
- if you want, roughly the area where you live. I am asking as there might be drivers close by who can try their cable, ZOE, etc
- What sort of place you live, meaning city or rural. This might be a strange question, but has bearing on the earth line is wired in your home

Edit: sorry, I missed the part about work. @phproxy 's question is very relevant. The "city or rural" question is therefor to be read as for work (too)

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,783 Posts
Which one did you buy? I got the Rolec one and it needs a reasonable shove to get it into the Zoe properly. First go and I got the red flashing light as I plugged it in, it locked on but it wasn't quite far enough in. I had to unlock the port and remove it then plug it in again. Was fine after that.

·
Premium Member
11,660 Posts
Which one did you buy? I got the Rolec one and it needs a reasonable shove to get it into the Zoe properly. First go and I got the red flashing light as I plugged it in, it locked on but it wasn't quite far enough in. I had to unlock the port and remove it then plug it in again. Was fine after that.
I didn't think Rolec made a granny charger?

Re the issue the OP is having, it sounds to me that the granny isn't set for 10A, perhaps it is set for 8A and the Zoe doesn't like it? Check the instructions to verify it is set for 10A if it has different levels.

Where do you work? It is possible a Zoe owner with a genuine Renault granny could pop over for you to check if that works. That would rule out an issue with the 13A socket.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,722 Posts
sounds to me that the granny isn't set for 10A, perhaps it is set for 8A
  • Yes, that is why I asked for settings, and...
  • No, because ZOE has some hysteresis as in, will start at a slighty highter current than dropping out...
so not sure.

Sub-10A is problematic as the 6A reactive current from the filter capacitors will the prevalent current.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts
1. Your always better with OEM
2. I think you've got a bad earth in the socket your using. Use a different socket in the building or try at a different location like home. Make sure you push the plug right in. The Renault OEM one will fault if the earth connection isn't absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you bought it online, perhaps return it and replace with a Duosida generic (assuming that isn't the one mentioned here)?

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,479 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts
It's the one approved by the Zoe owner's club. It's called another name but it's supplied by Rolec.
Is that the one that doesn't work for some users but is approved anyway? Been a while, banned, but pretty sure at least one member thoroughly tested a Rolec and it wouldn't work without cutting out ever 1%?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,783 Posts
Is that the one that doesn't work for some users but is approved anyway? Been a while, banned, but pretty sure at least one member thoroughly tested a Rolec and it wouldn't work without cutting out ever 1%?
Don't know. It does seem to work ok for me but it's very very slow. It also has to be shoved right in or it doesn't work. It's almost an interference fit it's so difficult to plug into the car. Didn't notice the charge stopping and starting when I checked the car status.

It's this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N12SZC8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The storefront address was the same as Rolec in Lincs so I'm assuming they're one and the same.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,392 Posts
RZOC is dead as a forum

FB is the devil haha

JJ
Their forum never really got off the ground, they started mainly on FB and that's where they were still thriving when I was ejected. Dunno if Nick the Pr... has ruined the place yet, he's still doing his damnedest to spread mis-information via Youtube and being obnoxious to other FB users.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
He sounds like my kinda guy haha

Got to love car communities ;). There are always divisions

Only way to win is like I did in the smart community and create a forum with well organised technical info :)

JJ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts