Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my company Zoe has been ordered and should be with me by the end of the month.
Having never owned or driven an EV - what should I expect from it?
It isn't the newest ZE50 but one from stock :(
They are fitting a home charge point for free and I should be able to charge at work some of the time.
I'm sure I'll have more questions coming in soon!
Thanks

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 2020
25 Posts
Couple of things of the top of my head:
  • Full Regenerative braking unlike most other EVs works via actually braking.
  • Zoes prior to the ZE50 only come with a Type 2 Charging connection, Q motors can charge at up to 43KW, R models (and ZE50s using same connection only charge at 22KW). Takes a bit of the complexity out of charging when you're starting out I found.
  • Should get Satnav as standard with speed camera alerts (Something I kinda miss), something to be aware of once you start taking it out on the road and it starts beeping at you. :D
  • Presuming they’ll give you access via an app, you’ll want an ZE Services activation code from whomever you receive the car from. You can register a free account and use that code to assign the car to your account. When it works you can see charging status and do climate preconditioning from your phone.
Since its a company car things like Battery lease and existing warranty aren’t likely to be as much of an issue to yourself.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of things of the top of my head:
  • Full Regenerative braking unlike most other EVs works via actually braking.
  • Zoes prior to the ZE50 only come with a Type 2 Charging connection, Q motors can charge at up to 43KW, R models (and ZE50s using same connection only charge at 22KW). Takes a bit of the complexity out of charging when you're starting out I found.
  • Should get Satnav as standard with speed camera alerts (Something I kinda miss), something to be aware of once you start taking it out on the road and it starts beeping at you. :D
  • Presuming they’ll give you access via an app, you’ll want an ZE Services activation code from whomever you receive the car from. You can register a free account and use that code to assign the car to your account. When it works you can see charging status and do climate preconditioning from your phone.
Since its a company car things like Battery lease and existing warranty aren’t likely to be as much of an issue to yourself.
Thank you!
Yes I think it has Nav, is the app the My Renault one?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thank you!
Yes I think it has Nav, is the app the My Renault one?
Yes it is the My Renault App. When you try and connect the Ze40 it may ask ypu for a code.. you will either have this already or contact renault connected services by phone and they will sort you out with one whwn tpu five them the VIN number and reg.
The car has 3 years free conected services then it has to be renewed for live tom tom etc

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,684 Posts
So my company Zoe has been ordered and should be with me by the end of the month.
Having never owned or driven an EV - what should I expect from it?
It isn't the newest ZE50 but one from stock :(
They are fitting a home charge point for free and I should be able to charge at work some of the time.
I'm sure I'll have more questions coming in soon!
Thanks
How many miles a year do you do?

·
1,684 Posts
My Insignia has just short of 60000 in just short of 4 years, so around 15000 per year (business & private miles)
Ok, hope your company have thought it through, what is furthest in an average day?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, hope your company have thought it through, what is furthest in an average day?
They are committed to a % of full electric vehicles in 2020, my ICE was due to go back in October, hence the Zoe (tip runs are going to be more frequent!)
Probably max I would do in one day would be 120 miles - but that would be majority motorway.
To boot the BIK factor also came into my thoughts as its more cash in my pocket

·
1,684 Posts
They are committed to a % of full electric vehicles in 2020, my ICE was due to go back in October, hence the Zoe (tip runs are going to be more frequent!)
Probably max I would do in one day would be 120 miles - but that would be majority motorway.
Should be ok except in winter plan a charge, good to see more firms going green just seems a bit tight on you getting much smaller car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should be ok except in winter plan a charge, good to see more firms going green just seems a bit tight on you getting much smaller car.
Yes agreed - tried to argue my point and get an e-niro (next grade up) but they were having none of it!
I go to client sites (who are having Pod Points installed) I should be able to plug into one of those - but that would only be if they were empty

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
994 Posts
So setting cruise control to 76 is a thing of the past?
Definitely stick to the speed limit by what the speedometer indicates, and if you need the range, especially if its a cold, wet or windy day then drop it down a little more and take it easy.

Your efficiency takes a nose dive the faster you go, especially when we're talking about higher speeds at 60+.

It really doesn't add that much time to your journey. I personally got used to it pretty quickly, and actually found I was arriving at my destinations feeling more relaxed when not rushing or trying to view the speed limits as targets but dropping down a few mph and going with the flow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Probably high in your thoughts given you're effectively receiving a £2400/annum pay rise :) I would have thought the savings would've been higher if you were running a diesel insignia. BIK on that must be at least £7k/ annum?

Only question I would have is why you are receiving (and accepted?) a new/old stock ZE40? Surely if you're doing daily long distances you'd want to be able to use the growing CCS network, Instavolt etc? I don't think I could do my job which is/was a similar similar mileage and rely on Rapid AC on a 40kWh battery - maybe if travelling between sites that had reliable 7kW charging. Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure you'll be on the forum a lot!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably high in your thoughts given you're effectively receiving a £2400/annum pay rise :) I would have thought the savings would've been higher if you were running a diesel insignia. BIK on that must be at least £7k/ annum?

Only question I would have is why you are receiving (and accepted?) a new/old stock ZE40? Surely if you're doing daily long distances you'd want to be able to use the growing CCS network, Instavolt etc? I don't think I could do my job which is/was a similar similar mileage and rely on Rapid AC on a 40kWh battery - maybe if travelling between sites that had reliable 7kW charging. Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure you'll be on the forum a lot!
I did try arguing my case - but got zero backing and little choice in the matter, gotta (at least) try - maybe I can 'break' the system so I need a better car ;).
BIK for insignificant is about 6500, so yes about 2400 in my R's pocket over the year.
As you say, I may be a frequent visitor 🤣

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
555 Posts
As you get to know what range you get at certain speeds then you can drive faster or slower to get to your destination, So you're doing 76 (which is actually 73 mph as the speedo is more accurate) and oh no, I will run out of charge, electric cars are crap. Well, drop your speed a few mph and then, miraculously, you find you have the range!

And the car's satnav is incredibly afraid of running out of charge. It can say you're not going to make it, and you arrive with 20 miles of range. Maybe it's to avoid being sued?!

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
Welcome. My ZE40 surpassed all my expectations, it really is a great little car. It does help if you have an Android phone as Android Auto works very well. It does not have Apple Car play.

The good news is that there is a lot more charging around including 22kW destination posts. An old stock (or ex-demo?) ZE40 is likely to be an R110 so will charge at max 22kW, the faster charging Q90 was discontinued a while ago.

What have your employer said about claiming business mileage? Unfortunately the AER which they can pay you tax free for a company car is only 4p mile.
If doing a lot of charging away from home you may want to get a Polar Plus subscription to keep charging costs low - at least try it for the first free months. Their chargers tend to be off the motorway but often not too far and are usually working.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An intelligent sat nav!???
Welcome. My ZE40 surpassed all my expectations, it really is a great little car. It does help if you have an Android phone as Android Auto works very well. It does not have Apple Car play.

The good news is that there is a lot more charging around including 22kW destination posts. An old stock (or ex-demo?) ZE40 is likely to be an R110 so will charge at max 22kW, the faster charging Q90 was discontinued a while ago.

What have your employer said about claiming business mileage? Unfortunately the AER which they can pay you tax free for a company car is only 4p mile.
If doing a lot of charging away from home you may want to get a Polar Plus subscription to keep charging costs low - at least try it for the first free months. Their chargers tend to be off the motorway but often not too far and are usually working.
I've done a model check using reg number and it gives me this
Zoe I Dyn Nav Quick Ch Ze 40 A
my company will pay 4p per mile for business use

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
994 Posts
An intelligent sat nav!???

I've done a model check using reg number and it gives me this
Zoe I Dyn Nav Quick Ch Ze 40 A
my company will pay 4p per mile for business use
Yep, that's definitely a Q90 since that's the only ZE40 to support quick charge. And the 'i' is to state that it's fully owned with no battery lease.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts