Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had CCS charging issues three times in a row.

Fail One: Returning from Cornwall, we stopped at Solstice Park Services with 24% SoC and started charging on a Polar Ultracharger at the Holiday Inn. At about 40%, charging stopped, and I had to reconnect from scratch. When going through the checks, the Rapid could not detect the vehicle. I tried several times, and the same issue occurred.

Fail Two: I moved Zoe down the road to the other Ultracharger situated in the Harvester car park. Again, the Rapid could not detect the vehicle and failed to connect. After several attempts, I used Type 2 AC to charge to 60% and then left.

Fail Three: Having arrived home with 5% SoC, I decided to try a local Polar Ultracharger the next day. Everything started fine, and I stayed with the vehicle until it reached 40%. I then went to a local shop to buy a few items, and on my return found that the charging had stopped at 53%. As it had started raining heavily, I didn’t try reconnecting.

I’ve not read of anyone else reporting this issue, and as I used three different Rapids, I’m assuming it’s an issue with the vehicle. I’ll maybe try again tomorrow, perhaps on another network, to see if this problem repeats itself.

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Sounds like it - maybe you can get Renault to test at their local rapid CCS charger?

Have you tried non-Polar rapid CCS chargers yet?

·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried non-Polar rapid CCS chargers yet?
Not yet. That’s probably the next thing I need to do. At least that would eliminate the possibility that Zoe has an issue with all Polar Ultrachargers. Unlikely as no one else has reported this issue.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
17,395 Posts
Not yet. That’s probably the next thing I need to do. At least that would eliminate the possibility that Zoe has an issue with all Polar Ultrachargers. Unlikely as no one else has reported this issue.
Of course it could be a CCS bug that only shows up on Polar rapids.

It did happen three times for you on different Polar chargers.

·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fail 4: Another Polar Ultracharger. Happily charged from 43% to 83% and then cut out. Got this message:

06362F92-5F53-4948-AAB6-02F91D4547B0.jpeg

When I tried again with CCS this is as far as it would get:

F796E8A4-513F-421B-AF47-88874A4864E7.jpeg

After a couple of failed attempts, decided to try AC. This didn’t work either, getting as far as this:

F7C941B0-A096-4596-8E7A-A781F27618A8.jpeg

During these attempts, there was no ZE charging light of any colour above the charging ports.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
626 Posts
I've only tried one rapid charge so far on Instavolt. Charging from about 20% SOC, it cut out after 10 kWh with a message on the charger along the lines of "Car unexpectedly stopped charging". I'll be trying a different charger each week and will report back if it repeats.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Never had a problem with polar rapids on my ze50, or genie, instavolt or shell.

given that your car is failing on AC I’d say the car has a fault

·
Zoe Devotee
9,190 Posts
ZS EVs have had issues with Polar units. They get a termination at 80odd percent. Apparently there is a fix rolling out. Be interesting if any of the chargers you used were fixed ones, or still to be updated ones?

Reactions: E7EV

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
Never had a problem with polar rapids on my ze50, or genie, instavolt or shell.

given that your car is failing on AC I’d say the car has a fault
Hi, Have you done a say 15%-90% charge yet and how long did it take?

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
218 Posts
I've charged successfully at Fastned, Instavolt, and one of the local Northumberland County Council machines.

Had a charging fault at Fastned today. Connected OK and began charging, but a minute or so later I heard a clunk and it stopped. Machine said 'Error, cable is disconnected' and then 'Charging error. The charger encountered an internal problem'.

Tried to restart the session, but no dice. Successful charge on the machine next door.

Already had a reply from Fastned, who said the machine seems fine (based on recent sessions) and there was a communication error from the car.

·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DEE9A77B-26D0-4AFD-B8CC-EB5E34FEE850.jpeg

Took a trip up the M11 to try a BP Chargemaster UHP Rapid. Neither worked. The right hand one owned up to being out of order on the small screen. The left hand one failed after I presented my Polar Card, for an “unknown error”. No one else around to confirm whether it was just a CCS issue, or the chademo as well.

·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried another Ultracharger today while eating at a Toby Carvery. Failed after a few percent. Went out, disconnected, locked and unlocked the car and tried again. This time it charged from 51% to 99% in about an hour. So seems pretty random.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,091 Posts
Wonder if it's fussy about whether the car is locked or unlocked while it's charging? Is there a charge flap open button on the key still?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wonder if it's fussy about whether the car is locked or unlocked while it's charging? Is there a charge flap open button on the key still?
No, but if you press and hold the unlock button on the fob for over a second, it releases the cable if it’s charging. I’m not sure if it does this when charging on CCS though- it does for AC. The fob won’t open a closed flap unfortunately, dash button only for that..

Reactions: Mo1

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
On CCS charges I have found that the cable is auto released when charge is stopped, AC charge still requires a press of the button on the dash to release.

Reactions: Spike and E7EV

·
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On CCS charges I have found that the cable is auto released when charge is stopped, AC charge still requires a press of the button on the dash to release.
Not found that when there’s a fail mid charge. The Ultracharger asks you to disconnect your vehicle, which you have to do with the button inside the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts