Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent a bit more time with my ZE50 and there's some odd quirks / features I've spotted I feel it's useful to document / share / ask about.. maybe I'm shouting at the wind but some of this could be useful to someone:
  1. The deadlocking seems defective to me. You double tap the lock button on the keycard and the car flashes multiple times like it does on old Zoe but unlike old Zoe which would refuse to unlock until you press the unlock button on the keycard again that's about the extent of the deadlock (maybe it'll trap people inside until you walk up?). Book says it should deactivate handsfree I think.. it doesn't.

2. You can trigger aircon while charging. Press the Engine Start/Stop button WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal. The car will not like you and will show you seemingly every error as it was midway through starting up and then aborting (it's not very graceful!).. but you can at least use aircon. Aircon will stay on for a brief period and then the car will shutdown again. Manual says use of aircon while charging will make charging take longer.. so it seems it's allowed (and it explains press the start/stop without brake to be allowed to use some accessories) and I cannot find another way to do this.

3. When doing #2, if there's a really good song on and you bop along in the car the speedo can display 1mph / 2mph in an otherwise stationary parking brake applied car.

4. Despite assurances from the Renault Zoe Product Manager after I repeatedly asked anyone at Renault who would listen, heated seats will never be able to be turned on while charging at least with the current software.

5. Pre-conditioning in the app is definitely broken :). Perfect 4G signal on EE, sat in the car, with it updating the charge status from the car perfectly.. app cannot initiate pre-conditioning at all but says it can.

6. The air quality air recycling settings only appear when the engine is STARTED and under the Car Info screen and is off by default. Same as the clock/date automatic setting being off by default.

7. The manual is really bad.. little things like telling you to "start" the engine to park and stating that the estimated charging time cuts out at 95% (it doesn't, it cuts out at 99%). The manual was probably written while the car was still being developed.

8. The aircon temperature settings seem a little off (by +/- 3oC) compared to the ZE40? In a ZE40 I liked a good 19oC.. in the ZE50 I seem to need to set -3oC lower to get an equivalent temperature. Is the temperature sensor in the wrong place? Would be curious if this is uniform.

9. There is no automatic emergency braking or anything that would require a radar. ZE50s will not have the radar hardware for at least 6 months and this will not be retrofitted.

10. The lane guidance is a little sensitive.. it doesn't just work when you're on the line but when it feels you're a bit too close to the line.

11. The self parking is only really useful if you're trying to park in between 2 cars, it seems to otherwise ignore parking bays.. it will also reproduce whatever slanty parking the other car has done and seems disinterested in going in the middle of the 2 cars, it'll just keep trying to park until the parking sensors are not seeing an obstruction (i.e. trapping a passenger or driver in the car). I would expect this to get a big firmware update sooner or later.

12. Placing a phone that does not support wireless charging, particularly one with a metal back in the phone spot will result in a dismissible error about removing metal to start wireless charging.. every.. single.. time for every single journey.

13. Pedestrian alarm sounds louder inside the cabin than the ZE40.

14. Cannot find a way to open the door and check whether I am inside the lines of a bay without the car yanking on the parking brake.

15. Appears to be no way of turning off all lights (when parked), it's headlights, running lights or auto.

16. New owners might be a bit thrown by headlights flickering when driving, at certain speeds (after 25mph according to the book) the auto lights will raise and lower (if it sees another car headlight).. they will not do full beam but there will be a noticeable difference. I got very confused between the book's "main beam" and UK driving "full beam", "raised" = "main beam". Full beam is when pulling the stalk.

17. The auto brake hold seems to apply when you push a little harder on the brake rather than being a duration thing.

18. I've had nuisance front parking sensor alerts in the middle of an empty car-park in the rain. Pressing the speaker icon on it mutes it.

19. You will need a USB A-C cable if you have a USB C phone (ugh :( )

20. The CCS port clicks when the car is awake (almost like an electrical arching sound).. nobody is sure why but there's a thread on this and yes it's normal.

21. Surround sound is off by default inside the car.. when you turn it on and there's sudden surprising sounds coming at you from all angles you'll too see why surround is a terrible idea inside a moving car.

22. MY Renault says my UK GT-Line Zoe is "Interior Style #2" and "Upholstry Fabric #13".

23. They said all the lights are LEDs, not true.. the numberplate light is not, along with I believe the brake light etc. Reversing and rear fog lights I don't think are either.

24. Some manual interesting info:
    1. Pressing the headlight button on the remote turns them on for 20 seconds. Pressing and holding the light button on the keycard will make the car do a little beep to help you find it in a car park.
    2. After 3 days of inactivity approach unlocking automatically deactivates (according to the book).
    3. After 8 days the handsfree unlocking also deactivates and you will need to use the button on the remote.
    4. There's a 3 second delay after locking to allow you to yank the handle to check it's locked before it will allow unlocking.
    5. There is an emergency key hidden inside the keycard as before.
    6. The 3 dots inside a car icon on the dash is rear seatbelt status.
    7. Total range updates after a full charge based off your last 125 miles or you can clear the trip meter at any time by pressing and holding OK.
    8. Current manual has a "Special Note" telling you how to reset the service warning.. probably accidentally included from internal Renault documents.
    9. Cornering lights (when you have used the indicator and are turning) are also the front fog lights.
    10. Automatic wiping won't come on immediately when stationary and it's 0oC or less.. it comes on at 5mph.
    11. On what to do if the key card doesn't work it implies placing it in the keycard area will work. In old Zoe the slot was an induction coil that could wake up a dead card but I'm not convinced this is true on the new one.
    12. Manual states B mode has a memory so if you are in B and go reverse and then flick back to D/B it'll be B.
    13. You can apply more parking brake on a hill etc by pulling and holding it for 3 seconds.
    14. If "WARNING Electric System" need to apply parking brake manually!
    15. Need to put car in N before leaving, can't just rely on autoholding in D.
    16. No way to open the flap from the keycard (hopefully this could be altered with later firmware), but you can at least unlock the cable by pressing and holding Unlock on the keycard.
    17. Radar position is immediately above the numberplate (but is just a blank on current models).
    18. (Probably not relevant as no radar but...) 4mph to 105mph it detects moving collisions, 4mph to 50mph it'll spot stationary vehicles. So a parked car on the motorway at motorway speeds wouldn't trigger. 4mph to 50mph for pedestrians too. Needs to see the entire outline of a pedestrian and those under 80cm tall don't count.
    19. Using the accelerator during cruise control when released triggers automatic braking.
    20. Lane departure only works 43mph to 112mph.
    21. Blindspot warning only works between 19mph and 87mph. It will flash at you if you're indicating in the direction at the time it's triggered. Cars being overtaken have to be there longer than a second. Won't work if front and back sensors are triggered at the same time.. So lorries.. or if they're stationary.
    22. Parking sensors only work less than 6mph.
    23. Parking distance control can be nuisance triggered by some noises like pneumatic drill, a motorcycle and a lorry.
    24. Pressing and holding res and set can change the limit to what the speed sign has just read.. but if it hasn't read it will increase/decrease in 5mph inc/decrements.
    25. Less than 19mph automatic parking can operate and you should only do 4mph during it.
  25. Mode 3 appears to be the best dash mode and is a profile setting.

26. You can track your car in MY Renault and even use Google Maps to Direct you back to your car :)

27. Can't find a way to set charging notifications on ZE50 like I could with ZE40.. it's only allowing me to change the options for my ZE40 which is also on my account. I've contacted Renault about that.

28. The car location tracking and sending a route to the car is a ZE50 specific feature. Neither work on a ZE40.

29. The "Auto relock" setting is not explained anywhere in any manual so no clue as to what that entails.

30. The manual online is newer than the one that comes with the car.. but expect a few more revisions.

31. Tapping the clock in the top right allows you to set some more settings like 12hr/24hr clock.. the Analogue/Digital clock is for the standby screen.

32. Appears to be no pause button on the media control stalk like there was with ZE40. Pressing and holding volume up/down will mute but not pause/stop the music.

33. Regen feels less harsh on the ZE50. You'll be using the brake pedal more when approaching traffic. B mode will regen you down to 6mph.

34. There doesn't seem to be a periodic keycard slot wiggling dance you can do to keep the car awake like you could with a ZE40. It looks like leaving the engine on is the main way to keep the entertainment awake etc.
Anything anyone else has spotted / wants to share :)?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you enjoy the car?

(Maybe you are enjoying it too much?)
It's more comfortable and grown up, it feels less "fun" compared to the ZE40 (it feels very Audi/VW Golf to me) but is a much more mature upgrade to the ZE40. I'm happy with it, I am expecting a couple of firmware updates over the next few months and several revisions to the manual however! The CCS port is a game changer and worth the upgrade alone.

I quip that I feel like a divorced project manager driving it.. but very comfortable and with many luxuries.

·
Registered
15,740 Posts
I'm happy with it, I am expecting a couple of firmware updates over the next few months and several revisions to the manual however!
I'm hoping for the software updates too, but not holding by breath.

If you're expecting an update manual, then forget it. :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,614 Posts
I've spent a bit more time with my ZE50 and there's some odd quirks / features I've spotted I feel it's useful to document / share / ask about.. maybe I'm shouting at the wind but some of this could be useful to someone:
  1. The deadlocking seems defective to me. You double tap the lock button on the keycard and the car flashes multiple times like it does on old Zoe but unlike old Zoe which would refuse to unlock until you press the unlock button on the keycard again that's about the extent of the deadlock (maybe it'll trap people inside until you walk up?). Book says it should deactivate handsfree I think.. it doesn't.

2. You can trigger aircon while charging. Press the Engine Start/Stop button WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal. The car will not like you and will show you seemingly every error as it was midway through starting up and then aborting (it's not very graceful!).. but you can at least use aircon. Aircon will stay on for a brief period and then the car will shutdown again. Manual says use of aircon while charging will make charging take longer.. so it seems it's allowed (and it explains press the start/stop without brake to be allowed to use some accessories) and I cannot find another way to do this.

3. When doing #2, if there's a really good song on and you bop along in the car the speedo can display 1mph / 2mph in an otherwise stationary parking brake applied car.

4. Despite assurances from the Renault Zoe Product Manager after I repeatedly asked anyone at Renault who would listen, heated seats will never be able to be turned on while charging at least with the current software.

5. Pre-conditioning in the app is definitely broken :). Perfect 4G signal on EE, sat in the car, with it updating the charge status from the car perfectly.. app cannot initiate pre-conditioning at all but says it can.

6. The air quality air recycling settings only appear when the engine is STARTED and under the Car Info screen and is off by default. Same as the clock/date automatic setting being off by default.

7. The manual is really bad.. little things like telling you to "start" the engine to park and stating that the estimated charging time cuts out at 95% (it doesn't, it cuts out at 99%). The manual was probably written while the car was still being developed.

8. The aircon temperature settings seem a little off (by +/- 3oC) compared to the ZE40? In a ZE40 I liked a good 19oC.. in the ZE50 I seem to need to set -3oC lower to get an equivalent temperature. Is the temperature sensor in the wrong place? Would be curious if this is uniform.

9. There is no automatic emergency braking or anything that would require a radar. ZE50s will not have the radar hardware for at least 6 months and this will not be retrofitted.

10. The lane guidance is a little sensitive.. it doesn't just work when you're on the line but when it feels you're a bit too close to the line.

11. The self parking is only really useful if you're trying to park in between 2 cars, it seems to otherwise ignore parking bays.. it will also reproduce whatever slanty parking the other car has done and seems disinterested in going in the middle of the 2 cars, it'll just keep trying to park until the parking sensors are not seeing an obstruction (i.e. trapping a passenger or driver in the car). I would expect this to get a big firmware update sooner or later.

12. Placing a phone that does not support wireless charging, particularly one with a metal back in the phone spot will result in a dismissible error about removing metal to start wireless charging.. every.. single.. time for every single journey.

13. Pedestrian alarm sounds louder inside the cabin than the ZE40.

14. Cannot find a way to open the door and check whether I am inside the lines of a bay without the car yanking on the parking brake.

15. Appears to be no way of turning off all lights (when parked), it's headlights, running lights or auto.

16. New owners might be a bit thrown by headlights flickering when driving, at certain speeds (after 25mph according to the book) the auto lights will raise and lower (if it sees another car headlight).. they will not do full beam but there will be a noticeable difference. I got very confused between the book's "main beam" and UK driving "full beam", "raised" = "main beam". Full beam is when pulling the stalk.

17. The auto brake hold seems to apply when you push a little harder on the brake rather than being a duration thing.

18. I've had nuisance front parking sensor alerts in the middle of an empty car-park in the rain. Pressing the speaker icon on it mutes it.

19. You will need a USB A-C cable if you have a USB C phone (ugh :( )

20. The CCS port clicks when the car is awake (almost like an electrical arching sound).. nobody is sure why but there's a thread on this and yes it's normal.

21. Surround sound is off by default inside the car.. when you turn it on and there's sudden surprising sounds coming at you from all angles you'll too see why surround is a terrible idea inside a moving car.

22. MY Renault says my UK GT-Line Zoe is "Interior Style #2" and "Upholstry Fabric #13".

23. They said all the lights are LEDs, not true.. the numberplate light is not, along with I believe the brake light etc. Reversing and rear fog lights I don't think are either.

24. Some manual interesting info:
    1. Pressing the headlight button on the remote turns them on for 20 seconds. Pressing and holding the light button on the keycard will make the car do a little beep to help you find it in a car park.
    2. After 3 days of inactivity approach unlocking automatically deactivates (according to the book).
    3. After 8 days the handsfree unlocking also deactivates and you will need to use the button on the remote.
    4. There's a 3 second delay after locking to allow you to yank the handle to check it's locked before it will allow unlocking.
    5. There is an emergency key hidden inside the keycard as before.
    6. The 3 dots inside a car icon on the dash is rear seatbelt status.
    7. Total range updates after a full charge based off your last 125 miles or you can clear the trip meter at any time by pressing and holding OK.
    8. Current manual has a "Special Note" telling you how to reset the service warning.. probably accidentally included from internal Renault documents.
    9. Cornering lights (when you have used the indicator and are turning) are also the front fog lights.
    10. Automatic wiping won't come on immediately when stationary and it's 0oC or less.. it comes on at 5mph.
    11. On what to do if the key card doesn't work it implies placing it in the keycard area will work. In old Zoe the slot was an induction coil that could wake up a dead card but I'm not convinced this is true on the new one.
    12. Manual states B mode has a memory so if you are in B and go reverse and then flick back to D/B it'll be B.
    13. You can apply more parking brake on a hill etc by pulling and holding it for 3 seconds.
    14. If "WARNING Electric System" need to apply parking brake manually!
    15. Need to put car in N before leaving, can't just rely on autoholding in D.
    16. No way to open the flap from the keycard (hopefully this could be altered with later firmware), but you can at least unlock the cable by pressing and holding Unlock on the keycard.
    17. Radar position is immediately above the numberplate (but is just a blank on current models).
    18. (Probably not relevant as no radar but...) 4mph to 105mph it detects moving collisions, 4mph to 50mph it'll spot stationary vehicles. So a parked car on the motorway at motorway speeds wouldn't trigger. 4mph to 50mph for pedestrians too. Needs to see the entire outline of a pedestrian and those under 80cm tall don't count.
    19. Using the accelerator during cruise control when released triggers automatic braking.
    20. Lane departure only works 43mph to 112mph.
    21. Blindspot warning only works between 19mph and 87mph. It will flash at you if you're indicating in the direction at the time it's triggered. Cars being overtaken have to be there longer than a second. Won't work if front and back sensors are triggered at the same time.. So lorries.. or if they're stationary.
    22. Parking sensors only work less than 6mph.
    23. Parking distance control can be nuisance triggered by some noises like pneumatic drill, a motorcycle and a lorry.
    24. Pressing and holding res and set can change the limit to what the speed sign has just read.. but if it hasn't read it will increase/decrease in 5mph inc/decrements.
    25. Less than 19mph automatic parking can operate and you should only do 4mph during it.
  25. Mode 3 appears to be the best dash mode and is a profile setting.

26. You can track your car in MY Renault and even use Google Maps to Direct you back to your car :)

27. Can't find a way to set charging notifications on ZE50 like I could with ZE40.. it's only allowing me to change the options for my ZE40 which is also on my account. I've contacted Renault about that.

28. The car location tracking and sending a route to the car is a ZE50 specific feature. Neither work on a ZE40.

29. The "Auto relock" setting is not explained anywhere in any manual so no clue as to what that entails.

30. The manual online is newer than the one that comes with the car.. but expect a few more revisions.

31. Tapping the clock in the top right allows you to set some more settings like 12hr/24hr clock.. the Analogue/Digital clock is for the standby screen.

32. Appears to be no pause button on the media control stalk like there was with ZE40. Pressing and holding volume up/down will mute but not pause/stop the music.

33. Regen feels less harsh on the ZE50. You'll be using the brake pedal more when approaching traffic. B mode will regen you down to 6mph.

34. There doesn't seem to be a periodic keycard slot wiggling dance you can do to keep the car awake like you could with a ZE40. It looks like leaving the engine on is the main way to keep the entertainment awake etc.
Anything anyone else has spotted / wants to share :)?
I think you're holding back, looks like half a list to me.

·
27,614 Posts
"The lane guidance is a little sensitive.. it doesn't just work when you're on the line but when it feels you're a bit too close to the line. "

I have a 'Play' model, and I was thinking what a dealer might say if I amused myself with a complaint about lane guidance.

Reminds me of the urban legend flight mechanics report;

Pilot report; "Auto-landing system - rough landing"
Mechanic response; "Auto-landing system - not fitted to this aircraft"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pressing both up and down volume together pauses your music. -- woops confusing with mute - no track control on the stalks.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Pressing both up and down volume together pauses your music. -- woops confusing with mute - no track control on the stalks.
What about the rotary wheel at back of stalk?

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some excellent information there, thank you for your effort. There is another feature I've come across:
  • Holding down the "start" button for a few seconds will cause a message "Permanent APC activated" to be displayed, I think it stops the car from going to sleep. You can deactivate it in the same way.

·
27,614 Posts
When reversing an EV, I just select drive as soon as I am ready to go forward, get a bit of regen from that! ;) Bit of a habit now, TBH, probably a bad habit to have, if I were to get back in an auto ICE!

Anyway, the Soul was game, but the Zoe doesn't let you do this unless you have your foot on the brake, nonetheless it doesn't need to be on the brake much and it'll let you go to drive while going backwards. However, it gives 'reverse regen' as a 'positive power' flow on the dash!

I can't see how it can 'use' power if the car slows down (the kinetic energy magically disappears while energy is being added!!). I think it is just confused on how it calculates power, but willing to understand if this is actually correct and maybe it is dumping power into winding heat?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,846 Posts
Accessories position contacteur?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
# 4365: it’s really picky about what order you plug the cables in.

# 4366: speed sign recognition is interesting. It somehow read an 80mph sign in a village.

# 4367: lane departure avoidance seems to make the inverse input to what is required.

# 4368: startup is a bit slower than my old Windows 98 PC, with a lengthy “checking vehicle” message before “READY” that didn’t seem to happen on old Zoe.

# 4369: how do you put it in N anyway? I always ended up in R.

#4370: it’s actually a really good car, just far too expensive.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts