Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
# 4366: speed sign recognition is interesting. It somehow read an 80mph sign in a village.
I got a 90mph sign coming down the A1 when I first picked it up! No, I don't think so, Zoe....

I was impressed when I went through some roadworks and it read the no overtaking sign. I thought it only did speed limit signs.

# 4369: how do you put it in N anyway? I always ended up in R.
Nudge the gearstick. There are two positions you can move it into, you only need to put it into the first bit to get it into N.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree about Lane Keep Assist; it does seem to apply the opposite input to that required. If you get a bit too close to the right hand line, it steers quite firmly to the right, driver has to take control more firmly to the left and the LKA drops out. Anyone got theirs to steer back into the lane?

Reactions: TiJayFLY

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts
I agree about Lane Keep Assist; it does seem to apply the opposite input to that required. If you get a bit too close to the right hand line, it steers quite firmly to the right, driver has to take control more firmly to the left and the LKA drops out. Anyone got theirs to steer back into the lane?
I cant wait to see the ncap footage.

Reactions: TiJayFLY

·
Zoe Devotee
8,935 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It’s almost as if it’s a poor attempt at lane following, it will attempt to steer itself around a curve on a motorway in the direction of the curve.

I would imagine it’s only really seeing one line at a time, and attaching itself to that line, as it certainly doesn’t function like normal lane departure avoidance.

My theory is that they couldn’t get adequate performance as lane following, so labelled it LKA...

I did actually let it cross a line on an empty road, and it sort of nudged back in but not really. Very weak, and while you’re in lane, it’s basically trying to leave it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Huh, unofficial lane following for sure.

I got a “keep hands on wheel” message the other day (when I had both hands firmly on the wheel), so there was clearly some intention that this would be lane following functionality.

Like I say, maybe they didn’t refine it enough to make it a “feature” and left the half-baked version in as LKA.

I would imagine “early” increases the vision system’s area of interest and reduces the line length and maximum gap-between-line requirements. The side effect of this is I reckon you’ll see some odd behaviour around differently shaded sections of road and strong shadows, depending how robust the clamping is (eg if line exceeds x degrees, ignore).

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is nice having all these gizmos but the only other car I have driven with anything like this is our Galaxy. Before then everything was just hand driven. I suppose if you grow up using the stuff you miss it if it’s not there. I’d miss auto climate control more then anything! 😆

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I find ACC useful but autosteer/lane follow can exhibit some really strange behaviour in every car, so best to turn it off.

Going from a model 3 to a Zoe, I didn’t miss those features. Was nice to actually drive again.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,846 Posts
Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
183 Posts
Took a 90mile run up to the coast and the cars averaging 240 miles of juice. Thought I’d fiddle around with the driving aids and can’t seem to link the road sign detection with the speed limiter. In the manual it says it’s possible (page 2.51). Has anyone had any luck connecting the two?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I think you hold SET or something. I know the car was nagging me to do so when the indicated speed limit didn’t match my speed (which was the actual limit as it missed the sign).

It’s much better to adjust the limiter manually when the limit changes - the detection is far from perfect and has little validation.

It doesn’t cross check with the map speed, it doesn’t clamp to maximum speed in a country (it’ll happily display 80 in the UK) and no sense checking based on mph or kph (it should know that 80kph is reasonable but 80mph is not).

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’ll give that a go and see what happens. Cruise control works well though even if it doesn’t have the adaptive function. I’ve never driven a car with it so not really missing anything!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Speed limiter is more useful than dumb CC. Much easier to drive manually up to the limit than braking and re-engaging all the time.

I don’t know why Zoe doesn’t have ACC, it’s a glaring omission.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That explains the weird LKA as well then.

What’s wrong with Bosch / Mobileye?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts