Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have a ZE50 already, how much have you needed to pay for a service plan?
Also, if not taking out a service plan, what are the usual cost for the annual/mileage services to maintain the warranty?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Think it was £450 for 3 years - I asked for present prices for each one and it's the 3rd service where the real cost is due to changing the brake fluid (think that's what they told me) and the need to disconnect the battery when doing so.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
630 Posts
changing the brake fluid
On the ZE40 the brake fluid replacement interval is every 4 years or 72,000 miles. I assume it's the same for the ZE50? I didn't think it was included in the 3 year service package.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just had third year service done on my ZE40, declined 12v battery change, brake fluid is fourth year change.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
252 Posts
I asked for present prices for each one and it's the 3rd service where the real cost is due to changing the brake fluid (think that's what they told me) and the need to disconnect the battery when doing so.
Just had third year service done on my ZE40, declined 12v battery change, brake fluid is fourth year change.
From what I've read the 12v battery can be replaced at home quite easily, and I assume the brake fluid can be done at any trusted garage? Costs wouldn't be too much I would think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's the main battery, not the 12v one they need to isolate to change the brake fluid - while this video is on the 22/40 models it is the same on the 50 and is a Renault design specific.
I've had a look at my supplied documentation and there is no supplied maintenance schedule, the handbook has the space in it for the stamps, but it was the local Renault service desk who confirmed the schedule to me when I question the cost of the service pack.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's an interesting one, I shouldn't think it's to much hassle for them to disconnect the main. Would it cost a lot to do that?
they have to pull the lockout fuse from the drivers footwell, it involves full PPE etc. I think Renault charge 2hrs in total for isolating and putting back. This is why the brake fluid change is £££

·
Registered
203 Posts
Apparently they have to work near the high voltage cables when doing the brake fluid change, so health and safety say to do the traction battery lockout and car de-energise.
Some garages have been known to do it without bothering but UK Renault dealerships will enforce the full process.
Occasionally people might have separate warranty issues that require the battery lock out / de-energise - if so - get them to replace the brake fluid at the same time to reduce costs.
Would be interesting to know if that is still the ZE50 design - seems a bit mad - and I suspect it wasn't the original design but de-energising was an afterthought after some sort of safety assessment (or incident).

On testing brake fluid (a cheap and easy process) - its what our garage has done for years for our other car - the suggested replacement time is extremely conservative and was pushed by the fluid manufacturers to sell more fluid! I think it has been replaced once in 12 years.
I heard a claim / rumour that all of the fluid isn't fully cycled round the Zoe due to the hybrid brake system so that testing at the reservoir can't be trusted. When its a cheap thing to change (most cars its about £40 at a garage I think) then it isn't going to worry you. However on a Zoe the cost is high. So the question is whether not doing it (so test only) would void a warranty, and whether it is safe to not do it (so can you trust a test).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts