Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live, in Jersey in the Channel Islands, adapting to the reality of climate change has been slow. The reason is possibly because the Island's government buys in electricity from France - very low carbon because of nuclear power - and this makes them smugly rest on their laurels. Until recently there were only about 500 ev's among 120,000 vehicles. But lately, Zoes seem to have caught on. This is so exciting. Brilliant car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yeah I was on holiday there last week and saw a few Zoes. I noticed that the Jersey Post vans were EVs (Nissan e-NV200s), and one evening on the 'Channel News' (ITV post-News at Ten), they announced that Guernsey Post had just converted to an all-EV fleet (Nissans again, at least in the clip they showed; I think the total number quoted was 80). I noticed they also had EV charging spaces at Jersey Zoo.
Given that the longest possible return journey is about 20 miles, it seems like a no-brainer!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jersey's very hilly - looks like a rumpled duvet when viewed from above. So electric bikes have really caught on in the past 5 years or so. Electric trikes are a growing breed, which is interesting as they're better than 2 wheelers for lugging groceries etc. There's even a few e-cargo bikes: kids being pedalled to school in them. I've owned an e-cargo, and an e-bike. They've been passed on now, and I've graduated to an e-trike (sense of balance isn't what it was but I still want to enjoy active, practical cycling).

Jersey's government has run incentives to encourage people to buy/ use e-bikes, which have proved very popular. As yet, however, Jersey's government offers no financial incentives at all to motorists wanting to ditch the ICE and go EV. In fact, government-led progress is frustratingly slow regarding any aspect of climate change. They talk the talk, but don't quite walk the walk. That said, any progress is good and welcome.

Range Anxiety? What's that?! Even my 2012 Peugeot iOn has a summer range of 78-85 miles and a winter range around 68-75, so any initial range anxiety faded after the first week. And it's true that the longest possible return journey is about 20 miles. In fact, locals don't talk about journeys in 'miles' but in 'minutes'. Basically you can get almost anywhere by car in 20 minutes - unless you get stuck behind one of those pesky cyclists :giggle:

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the 80's Toyota trialed the all electric Toyota RAV4 and I understand Tourists could rent them to drive on one of the islands Jersey or Guernsey. As you say range anxiety was not a problem, actually the 1989 RAV EV had NiMh batteries and could travel over 100 miles in mainland driving so in the Channel Islands probably 150+ miles.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I wonder is there anyone on Jersey who is against EVs? What would their reasoning be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts