Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone tells me off for being out during lockdown the American Football season was cancelled so I can't play ☹ and I leave our little compound about twice a week so I am doing my bit 🙂.

Took the ZS to collect some construction supplies recently. She did well with 9x 20ft lengths of 2x2" but really came into her own today carrying 6x8ft sleepers and 600 litres of compost in the back. No loss of performance

Attachments

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Wow .... That IS a tidy load on the roof !.
Nice to see it could take it though, I would be too nervous to try that on my car I must be honest.
Probably not what MG had in mind for carrying on the roof.
Maybe a couple of bikes or a top box for holiday trips.
It has definitely earned the name “Work Horse” for sure !.
Thanks for sharing the photo as proof of concept :oops:.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably not but I can live with compost being measured in litres, for some reason 132 gallons of compost sounds stupid as does 20x10x2400 sleepers

·
Leaf lover
4,392 Posts
Before anyone tells me off for being out during lockdown the American Football season was cancelled so I can't play ☹ and I leave our little compound about twice a week so I am doing my bit 🙂.

Took the ZS to collect some construction supplies recently. She did well with 9x 20ft lengths of 2x2" but really came into her own today carrying 6x8ft sleepers and 600 litres of compost in the back. No loss of performance
Brings back happy memories for me, the mention of American Football. My 2 boys and daughter (cheerleader) were part of a youth touch team when the Tiptree Titans were flying high.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Post Brexit the lunatics can revert to their gills and pecks, and consider standardisation across the pond with the pre-Imperial system they retain with different measurements using similar names for wet and dry.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brings back happy memories for me, the mention of American Football. My 2 boys and daughter (cheerleader) were part of a youth touch team when the Tiptree Titans were flying high.
:) I play Tight End for the Birmingham Bulls. I did enjoy the look on the faces of the guys at the builders merchants when I popped two of those sleepers on one shoulder and toddled off up the road to load them on to the car. Built a rather nice raised planter that the dog can't get on :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
A legitimate workhorse has got to be able to tow a trailer, complete with concrete mixer, bags. of aggregate, cement etc.

What's the rated towing capacity?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am too young to have been automatically granted a trailer licence and I haven't bothered doing the test so for my needs it is a moot point :)

·
Leaf lover
4,392 Posts
Post Brexit the lunatics can revert to their gills and pecks, and consider standardisation across the pond with the pre-Imperial system they retain with different measurements using similar names for wet and dry.
My mum used the proverb "you've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die" all the time when we were kids. It was years before I discovered it was a measure but it doesn't seem the proverb and measure are connected now that you can google such things.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I am too young to have been automatically granted a trailer licence and I haven't bothered doing the test so for my needs it is a moot point :)
That's really a big hurdle for any "causual" trailer use.

I rebuilt a 4 bed house with a 3/4 tonne trailer. No way a car or pickup would have put up with the same loads of abuse.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,910 Posts
This is going to be a barrier to caravanning too in future.

When I reached 70, I could only continue caravanning with a gross train weight over 3.5 tons if I applied for a licence that required an annual medical. Happily my car and van are relatively small so I was OK with that limit. The guys with the big vans and, Land Rover Discovery's are in a fix with that though.

Are you not even allowed to tow a little trailer to the dump on a new licence? Gross infringement of liberty!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm 71 and I still can tow any trailer of any weight without any medical or test. I passed my test in 1966. If you passed your test after 19th January 2013 you can tow a trailer up to 750kg or heavier trailers with a car if the gross weight is under 3500kg. My daughter is in this category and she has a decent size 5 berth caravan that she tows with a VW Touran all perfectly legal without taking a trailer test.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Probably not but I can live with compost being measured in litres, for some reason 132 gallons of compost sounds stupid as does 20x10x2400 sleepers
It's a generation thing !.
I was subject to the decimal switch in 1971, around about half way through my schooling years.
I still find myself talking "Half and Half".
Some times imperial, some times metric.
My son has NO idea what I am talking about when I say :-
"Thirty Bob" - When I am talking about £1.50p in "new" money.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
"Thirty Bob" - When I am talking about £1.50p in "new" money.
When I was a lad I had a threepenny (pronounced Thre-penny) bit for my pocket money which I used to take to the corner shop for sweets. It went up to a sixpence when I went to school.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
When I was a lad and it was cold the family huddled around a candle and if it got really cold my dad used to light it
I used to draw pictures in the frost on the inside of the windows (actually true) and grumble when my kid brother would pinch the coats on to his side of the bed (also true). But, you tell this to the kids of today and they won't believe yeh. Aye.

We used to live in (the domestic part of) a fish and chip shop and the wind would whistle through the lower portion of the house in winter. We would take the tele up into my parents room turn that into the living room. Lovely and cosy for the 5 of us with a roaring fire in the grate. Those were the days.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts