Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

;)

Well almost a week in we're getting use to running an EV now and really enjoying the MG ZS. The performance is OK, not staggeringly fast however it's OK for pulling out of junctions etc. Range is absolutely fine, even on the longest commute we do we're still coming home with 50% so no range anxiety at all. Today I got a chance to try MG Pilot, first impressions are that I can't believe it actually works given the cost of the car! My previous car was a Volvo V90 which had pilot assist which was excellent. MG Pilot is not as good however it does work and managed to steer the car most of the way down the A47 today.............not bad. Does anyone know if it's improved with the comfort 2 update?
Talking of the update we're still waiting on that. Our dealer in Norwich has promised to do this for free however at the moment they have told us they're not rolling it out pending testing. I really wish they'd just roll it out and skip the testing because the bongs may cause me to stab the speaker out with a screwdriver before long!!! I've had it blast it's horn at me twice now for no real reason which is very annoying as we live down a very quiet private lane so it gets noticed and the constant bongs are ridiculous. It just smacks of a manufacturer that skipped the usability testing completely.

The infotainment is also a bit broken. I'm not too worried about the built in sat nav as I never intended to use that preferring Android Auto however sadly Android Auto is very hit and miss. Again hoping this is improved in the update.

The only other weak point on the car is the handling. To be fair given the reviews our there I was expecting this to be far worse however it really isn't. That said you can feel the shocks struggling to stop the car from bouncing and hopping over bumps.

Overall really enjoying the new car, looking forward to doing a decent journey in it now, maybe a run to Somerset next month, lockdown permitting

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think MG Pilot has been improved in the 2nd Generation System update, the infotainment system is definitely better, I can’t vouch of AA, as many people seem to have issues, I use CarPlay without any issues.

With regards the handling,my thoughts on this are well known and I'm testing a new set of Bilstein dampers which are being fitted Tuesday. The ones on the car at the rear are just right, but the fronts have been revised slightly.

Even the ones I have n the car at the moment transform the car. I was driving a Jeep Renegade on Tuesday and my wife was complaining hours uncomfortable it was in comparison to our ZS.
The standard rear suspension is so soft that the damper uses up all its travel going around a corner and when it hits a bump it hits the bump stop causing the tar end to steep out of line. The front isn’t a great deal better and it wallows a lot.

I’m sure you have seen my video about the handling.

Reactions: davesul

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,256 Posts
It just smacks of a manufacturer that skipped the usability testing completely.
Think yourself lucky you didn't have one of the early Zoe. After rides on 3 flatbeds, it became painfully obvious that we were doing the beta testing!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think MG Pilot has been improved in the 2nd Generation System update, the infotainment system is definitely better, I can’t vouch of AA, as many people seem to have issues, I use CarPlay without any issues.

With regards the handling,my thoughts on this are well known and I'm testing a new set of Bilstein dampers which are being fitted Tuesday. The ones on the car at the rear are just right, but the fronts have been revised slightly.

Even the ones I have n the car at the moment transform the car. I was driving a Jeep Renegade on Tuesday and my wife was complaining hours uncomfortable it was in comparison to our ZS.
The standard rear suspension is so soft that the damper uses up all its travel going around a corner and when it hits a bump it hits the bump stop causing the tar end to steep out of line. The front isn’t a great deal better and it wallows a lot.

Mike,if this is the second update which I have just had done.What was the first update and what did it consist of.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Mike,if this is the second update which I have just had done.What was the first update and what did it consist of.
This isn’t so much a second update as a 2nd Generation Comfort System update.

The first Generation was what the car was shipped with (until now).

·
Registered
300 Posts
There was a previous update after the car was shipped. This addressed the lack of timed charging where the car would not wake up overnight at a time specified by a home charger. This was done on mine while the driver's door wiring loom was replaced (a recall).

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a drive out today just for the fun of it, something we haven't done for a while now and the car performed well. Got back and stuck it back on charge and after doing 34 miles it took 10kwh to fully recharge which on our tariff means it cost 80 pence!!! Absolutely amazed, it's been a very long time since motoring was that cheap for me.

Yep, I think I've seen all of your excellent videos, very informative :) If the new suspension works and the cost isn't too outrageous I may well go for that.

Think yourself lucky you didn't have one of the early Zoe. After rides on 3 flatbeds, it became painfully obvious that we were doing the beta testing!
Well it's early days yet! I'm a little worried by reports of the 12v battery becoming drained so I've moved my portable jump pack from my 16 year old SLK to the ZS just in case! How crazy that an EV which is basically a battery on wheels can become stranded due to not enough power! My Mercedes hybrid I had a few years back would automatically charge the 12v battery from the HV pack even when the car was off and parked, MG really should do the same as when we first picked up the car we were greeted by the worrying 12v battery low message.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
There was a previous update after the car was shipped. This addressed the lack of timed charging where the car would not wake up overnight at a time specified by a home charger. This was done on mine while the driver's door wiring loom was replaced (a recall).
I know the update ( work around ) for the delayed charging, that would suit some wall boxes, was able to be done prior to collection of our car on the 6th Jan 2020.
So, it should have been available around the back end of 2019 I guess ?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Had a drive out today just for the fun of it, something we haven't done for a while now and the car performed well. Got back and stuck it back on charge and after doing 34 miles it took 10kwh to fully recharge which on our tariff means it cost 80 pence!!! Absolutely amazed, it's been a very long time since motoring was that cheap for me.

Yep, I think I've seen all of your excellent videos, very informative :) If the new suspension works and the cost isn't too outrageous I may well go for that.

Well it's early days yet! I'm a little worried by reports of the 12v battery becoming drained so I've moved my portable jump pack from my 16 year old SLK to the ZS just in case! How crazy that an EV which is basically a battery on wheels can become stranded due to not enough power! My Mercedes hybrid I had a few years back would automatically charge the 12v battery from the HV pack even when the car was off and parked, MG really should do the same as when we first picked up the car we were greeted by the worrying 12v battery low message.
Remember, if you hit the start button without applying pressure to the foot brake, you will be given the 12 Volt battery low warning every time.
It is safety system to warn you NOT to start using electrical equipment that requires the 12 Volt battery that will discharge the battery.
Only when the car is fully booted, with the foot brake applied, so the car is in the drive "Ready" mode is the HV battery supplying charge to the 12 Volt battery.
As other members have experienced this situation I like yourself, carry a portable jump pack in the car at all times.
Hoping never to need it, but I see it as a bit of an insurance policy.
Yeah, you can use the free AA membership to obtain a jump start.
But you could be waiting a long time for what takes 2 mins to perform.
I applied a similar mind set when I purchased the spare wheel to carry in the boot.
Not all recovery services will attend a flat tyre / puncture UNLESS you have a spare wheel in your car to charge over !.
The MG ZS EV is one of the very few EV cars that will allow you to carry a spare wheel under the boot cover, so why not have it ?.
The provided inflation kit is totally useless if you have "nicked" the side wall of the tyre.
Just a bit of food for though.
Here is my personal wish list of really useful accessorises to provide a "Belt and Braces" approach for the ZS EV.
In no particular order of importance, and not absolutely necessary, but a pretty good catch net.

1) Dedicated wall box charger.
2) Type 2 cable for public charging.
2) 12 Volt battery jump pack.
3) 12 Volt three pin plug "Smart" home charger.
4) A Space saver, or full size spare wheel etc. ( MG offer the space saver )
3) The MG Protection Pack for carpets, boot liner, + F&R M. flaps. ( MG also ).
4) Set of alloy wheel locking nuts ( MG dealer, but can purchased cheaper on line).
5) A membership to a recovery service that offers a "Relay" service. ( Flat bed ).

Worth just a few minutes of consideration I think ?.
To be totally upfront, I have all of the above except for the 12 Volt charger as we speak.
Still conducting a bit of research on this subject, but it is "On The Cards" let's say.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remember, if you hit the start button without applying pressure to the foot brake, you will be given the 12 Volt battery low warning every time.
That's odd, we don't get that and I have used it in ACC mode a few times. The only time I saw it was when I started it at the dealers, other then that it's been fine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on the 12V battery going flat. Most of the problems I've read about seem to originate with using ACC mode for prolonged periods, e.g. while charging. The "fine manual" does say to switch off while charging...

I've occasionally seen the 12V battery drop one notch. Once I have seen it drop to 12V after repeated attempts to connect to a recalcitrant Ecotricity charger. In all cases, it's been back to full within 2 or 3 minutes of the car being in Ready mode.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on the 12V battery going flat. Most of the problems I've read about seem to originate with using ACC mode for prolonged periods, e.g. while charging. The "fine manual" does say to switch off while charging...

I've occasionally seen the 12V battery drop one notch. Once I have seen it drop to 12V after repeated attempts to connect to a recalcitrant Ecotricity charger. In all cases, it's been back to full within 2 or 3 minutes of the car being in Ready mode.
The 12 Volt battery is also being charged when charging is taking place I believe Tesla Bjorn has proven this ?.
Shieeeetttttt !.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The 12 Volt battery is also being charged when charging is taking place I believe Tesla Bjorn has proven this ?.
Shieeeetttttt !.
Has he? I thought the exact opposite had emerged in discussions months back.Link?

(I don't watch Tesla Bjorn much - I find his delivery too annoying.)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Has he? I thought the exact opposite had emerged in discussions months back.Link?

(I don't watch Tesla Bjorn much - I find his delivery too annoying.)
He has a strange sense of humour some times, I will agree.
Know's his stuff though !.
I will try and find the video that covers this issue, it may take me a while though.
"Holly Crap" - As he would say.
Back on topic, I have ordered a 12 Volt Smart charger yesterday.
"Good Shit Man".

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I will try and find the video that covers this issue, it may take me a while though.
Hi again @Nickel .
I have flicked through 6 of the ZS EV videos posted by Bjorn, trying to find the answer to your question.
I know it's in there some where, but I am not sure how far back I would have to go to find the correct video !.
His videos can be long, so it would take a while to locate it.
Never mind, I have found another good video that run's through the whole topic of low state of charge on 12 volt batteries in the ZS EV.
It's from the "Tom's Man Shed" channel, he is an MG ZS EV owner himself.
I will include the link to the video which is really worth a watch, but if you what a quick answer to the question :-
"Is the 12 Volt battery being charged, when the car is plugged into either a three pin "Granny" or Home Wall Box ?".
Then long story short - YES it is !.
Advance Tom's video to 16 min - 35 seconds, and watch from this point in the film.
The visual evidence supports the facts.
O.B.T.W. - He is using an after market 12 Volt battery monitor, to blue tooth the information to the App on his phone.
It's all covered in his video if you watch it right from the beginning.
Tom has done a few videos now on the ZS EV, which are also worth a viewing when you have time.
Hope this helps, enjoy !.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good to know the 12v battery gets charged when the car is plugged in, the jumper pack can go back to it's normal home in my 29 year old Sterling!
For the first time tonight we haven't plugged it in to charge as I'm popping into Norwich tomorrow and the car park has free EV charging so I've left enough space in the battery to borrow some of Norfolk County Council's finest electrons! I'm also looking forward to the first proper journey and rapid charge in the car. I've had all the apps on my phone for about 3 months now so it would be good to finally put them to use.

450 miles in now and the car is still running well. Still waiting for the update however I've been very restrained and haven't stabbed the horn out with a rusty screwdriver..................yet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts