Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just received this after asking for an update, just thought I'd post for info.

"Thanks for getting in touch. Ourselves, Rolec and MG are continuing to work towards a more permanent resolution for MG owners, there is no time frame on this at the minute.

As soon as there is any updates we will let all MG users on our platform aware.

Thanks for your patience,"

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rolec and MG are continuing to work towards a more permanent resolution for MG owners, there is no time frame on this at the minute.
I got similar information verbally when I called Rolec Technical around about the same time (a week or 10 days ago). I contacted MG Motors EV helpline as I was scheduled to have a Rolec installed the following day (which given the uncertainty I had deferred a couple of weeks). I said that since there was a press release back at the end of last summer that MG Motors was partnering with Pod Point and Pod Point don't have these issues following the December Fix to the ZS why were they funding installation of a Rolec for me and why couldn't I have a Pod Point instead?

It took a couple of days of waiting but I'm now waiting for an installation date of a Pod Point. However early last week the when I would have had the deferred Rolec installed ironically, my dealer contacted me and asked for me to bring the car in for new software and a fix to correct the charging/sleeping issue. Maybe my car hadn't had the December fix applied before delivery in January or maybe this is a further fix linked to the Rolec solution who knows?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
I got my car delivered in December and so far not being able to use the smart charging functionality on my Rolec charger. Complained to Rolec and an engineer told me 10 days ago there was going to be a fix in a week - so not holding my breath- complained to MG and all they could say is: is Rolecs fault and they are working with us to fix. No ETA, thanks for your patience!. Basically all nice words but not a single reason why and when. Really disappointed both on how they are treating their customers and how some of us are putting up with the whole mess

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe my car hadn't had the December fix applied before delivery in January
I dont think you had the initial fix, as you were reporting problems that no other person was who had the fix. As far as I am aware, the Rolec Smart chargers still don't work properly with timed charge. They just apply that pathetic trickle charge bodge. Are you definitely going for the pod point? Pod point sounds a better option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wish I could: I cannot afford buying another charger until I get rid of the Rolec, and they are refusing to take it as they say there is a fix soon. . As an alternative I am thinking of buying a 32A WiFi circuit breaker to cut the mains with the app at will ( a timer). It's a bit of extra work, but all you can find at the moment are shipping from China, and seems to have stopped their shipments for now.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I wish I could: I cannot afford buying another charger until I get rid of the Rolec, and they are refusing to take it as they say there is a fix soon. . As an alternative I am thinking of buying a 32A WiFi circuit breaker to cut the mains with the app at will ( a timer). It's a bit of extra work, but all you can find at the moment are shipping from China, and seems to have stopped their shipments for now.
If you've not had it long, presumably you could 'reject' it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried, within 30 days of the installation, I said it was not fit for purpose, and the reply (what a joke!) was that to say was unfit for purpose was unfair because it was working with all other cars!. What do I care what other cars do it it doesn't work for me! Is that not the definition of 'unfitness"?
If I was a lawyer I would had fight it in court. In fact, this is what all of MG users should do: get together and sue both MG an Rolec for misselling

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Presumably they were notified (via papers you completed for the grant) though that you were getting an MG?

Did you possibly pay your share by credit card?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes I got all the papers, but MG paid for the difference. And that may be the problem: they would need to cancel the grant and MG will have to pay to uninstall and reinstall

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes I got all the papers, but MG paid for the difference. And that may be the problem: they would need to cancel the grant and MG will have to pay to uninstall and reinstall
Oh, well if they don't resolve it, then I would write to the people who provided the grant. They can't have intended this situation to arise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that we've got deliveries to customers I'm seeing reports of the car not working with smart chargers, seems the car goes to sleep and does not wake up when the charger tries to initiate a charge.

State of play so far:
Rolec Smart Charger: not working.
OHME Cable: not working.
Zappi: myenergi are silent on the issue.

It's looking like a car issue which is maddening because of it's lack of internal charge timers meant MG's line was all new chargers will be smart so it's not needed.
My sons MG EV will not charge on my Tesla charger or Rolec home charger. My EV Mini charges on both no issues.
However charges on his home Rolec charger he has!!!
Any ideas?

·
Registered
942 Posts
My sons MG EV will not charge on my Tesla charger or Rolec home charger. My EV Mini charges on both no issues.
However charges on his home Rolec charger he has!!!
Any ideas?
A number of MG ZS EV owners have found that charging at home can be a problem if the house wiring is used for internet powerline adaptors. If you have any, try unplugging all of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A number of MG ZS EV owners have found that charging at home can be a problem if the house wiring is used for internet powerline adaptors. If you have any, try unplugging all of them.
I have been charging my MG ZS EV for a year now -installed in DEC 2019 - Smart functinality NOT working , so decided to set a timer using a wifi smart switch, and wotks perfectly. It requires a bit of electrical expertise, but is doable.
See details on link:
Let me know if you need more details
BTW, I DO have a Power line adapter, and have never any issues with the charger, so must be other chargers

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have been charging my MG ZS EV for a year now -installed in DEC 2019 - Smart functinality NOT working , so decided to set a timer using a wifi smart switch, and wotks perfectly. It requires a bit of electrical expertise, but is doable.
See details on link:
Let me know if you need more details
BTW, I DO have a Power line adapter, and have never any issues with the charger, so must be other chargers
Hi - The e.Bay link to the Wi-Fi switch was unable to display the item unfortunately.
Do you have a working link please ?.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got my ZS EV back in jn 2019 and initially it had the issue common at the time of going to sleep within a few minutes of locking the car if the Type 2 cable was inserted but not charging be that Granny charger or my PodPoint home charger. Others on the forum said I needed an update as their cars had and could be charged with timed charger or Granny lead and time-clock. I got my dealer to double check and they forwarded a software build scan to MG Motors and they advised a further update and it has been fine since late February. In September when in on a warranty issue the dealer did a further update which means the Type 2 charging can be started even if the car is unlocked just as charge can be started on Rapid Charger. there seems to be a ongoing situation with software updates concerning the charging behaviour of our ZS EV's so check with your dealer and maybe ask them to send a scan of you software build to MG Motors. My current charging is with the PodPoint Home wall charger which I have modified with a wifi relay to interrupt the "CP" signal wire used to tell the charger the car is ready to receive charge. I have the relay programmed to operate during the 4 hour Octopus-Go cheap 5p/kWh window which adds about 100 miles overnight for about £1.20. If you don't have OctopusGo you can get £50 credit on your account using this referral link Octopus Energy and get a quote

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got my ZS EV back in jn 2019 and initially it had the issue common at the time of going to sleep within a few minutes of locking the car if the Type 2 cable was inserted but not charging be that Granny charger or my PodPoint home charger. Others on the forum said I needed an update as their cars had and could be charged with timed charger or Granny lead and time-clock. I got my dealer to double check and they forwarded a software build scan to MG Motors and they advised a further update and it has been fine since late February. In September when in on a warranty issue the dealer did a further update which means the Type 2 charging can be started even if the car is unlocked just as charge can be started on Rapid Charger. there seems to be a ongoing situation with software updates concerning the charging behaviour of our ZS EV's so check with your dealer and maybe ask them to send a scan of you software build to MG Motors. My current charging is with the PodPoint Home wall charger which I have modified with a wifi relay to interrupt the "CP" signal wire used to tell the charger the car is ready to receive charge. I have the relay programmed to operate during the 4 hour Octopus-Go cheap 5p/kWh window which adds about 100 miles overnight for about £1.20. If you don't have OctopusGo you can get £50 credit on your account using this referral link Octopus Energy and get a quote
I tried a similar hack to my Podpoint, interrupting the CP line with a timer controlled relay. Works fine if it's within a few minutes of the car requesting a charge but not when it connects some time later ie at 00:30 when octopus cheap rate begins. I suspect the car. It went in for the comfort update but after 3 attempts by the garage, I still get no outside temperature display or charging whilst unlocked. It seems to only request to charge for a limited time before giving up. Anybody else seen similar behaviour.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts