Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I tried a similar hack to my Podpoint, interrupting the CP line with a timer controlled relay. Works fine if it's within a few minutes of the car requesting a charge but not when it connects some time later ie at 00:30 when octopus cheap rate begins. I suspect the car. It went in for the comfort update but after 3 attempts by the garage, I still get no outside temperature display or charging whilst unlocked. It seems to only request to charge for a limited time before giving up. Anybody else seen similar behaviour.
My car was registered on the 6th Jan 2020.
It had the first “Delayed Charge” upgrade installed by the dealer prior to collection.
I have a dumb 32Amp Rolec unit that was installed in around 2015.
The car charged fine from the Rolec but I had no means of setting a delayed charge in order to take advantage of my off peak rate.
Then in February 2020 I installed a Sonoff Wi-Fi switch inside of the wall box.
This has been used successfully to perform delayed charging from the App on my IPhone ever since.
I had the “Comfort 2” update applied in around October this year and everything is fine.
The car is due for its first service in a few weeks and I have requested the recall for the drivers door wiring loom to be rectified, plus the update for the HV battery fuse software to be applied ( SO17 I believe ).
i want than to apply the second BMS update, that will allow the car to remain charging when plugged into my wall box when the doors are unlocked.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,681 Posts
That definitely seems that you don't have the Comfort update. I saw on another thread that someone said that when he had problems getting updates to work, the garage sent a view of his software to MG, who came back with a solution. Worth a try?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,681 Posts
Do you know if this can be done in a (first version) ChargeMaster wall box?

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Do you know if this can be done in a (first version) ChargeMaster wall box?
Hi Neil - Yes, I think that can be done.
I remember seeing it on either this forum, or on a U.Tube video.
But I can not remember on which one right now sorry.
If I can find it, I promise to post A.S.A.P.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,681 Posts
Hi Neil - Yes, I think that can be done.
I remember seeing it on either this forum, or on a U.Tube video.
But I can not remember on which one right now sorry.
If I can find it, I promise to post A.S.A.P.
Thanks for your PM. :) (y)

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
245 Posts
I tried a similar hack to my Podpoint, interrupting the CP line with a timer controlled relay. Works fine if it's within a few minutes of the car requesting a charge but not when it connects some time later ie at 00:30 when octopus cheap rate begins. I suspect the car. It went in for the comfort update but after 3 attempts by the garage, I still get no outside temperature display or charging whilst unlocked. It seems to only request to charge for a limited time before giving up. Anybody else seen similar behaviour.
Okay then I would say that your car is missing an update as this was a fix applied to my car as I said in the early part of the year I think it was early/mid-February 2020 with the update which allowed charging without locking the door applied in July, although that is not your issue. I just hope when I get the "Comfort 2" update next month it doesn't screw up the advances made during the past year since it is an entirely new software stack.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have posted elsewhere about my Rolec issues; I seem to have had all the up-dates and in this order: 1st charging update in June followed by comfort in September followed by HV fuse and charging update in October. The latter required when the car failed to charge on my home charger or granny charger. Now my smart Rolec charger will delay charging until my Agile tariff drops to its set price but won't restart if the price goes up and down again. The Rolec trickle fix wasn't plagued by this problem, of course. Now I have set the dealer the question, how can the DNO switch my car off and on as is the aim of smart charging...? He is taking it up with MG. This is a hypothetical question at the moment but there are plenty of EVs in the village and all my acquaintances here stop and ask how I am getting on with mine, most drive Mercs and Audis etc, they are willing to spend more on motoring than I am, and likely to buy EVs in the next 18 months. so it could be that the clusters of EV charging which are a concern to the electrical supply industry could arise quickly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My car was registered on the 6th Jan 2020.
It had the first “Delayed Charge” upgrade installed by the dealer prior to collection.
I have a dumb 32Amp Rolec unit that was installed in around 2015.
The car charged fine from the Rolec but I had no means of setting a delayed charge in order to take advantage of my off peak rate.
This has been used successfully to perform delayed charging from the App on my IPhone ever since.
I had the “Comfort 2” update applied in around October this year and everything is fine.
The car is due for its first service in a few weeks and I have requested the recall for the drivers door wiring loom to be rectified, plus the update for the HV battery fuse software to be applied ( SO17 I believe ).
i want than to apply the second BMS update, that will allow the car to remain charging when plugged into my wall box when the doors are unlocked.
Very similar history to my own with the MG ZS EV. Except that the MG was my first "Owned" EV which I took delivery of Jan 9th last year, so a few days after you. I had it delivered and was told I had all the updates but when I had the software build scanned MG Motors discovered the latest Delayed charge update wasn't there. I had it installed with the door loom recall. When I had the PodPoint fitted I was dismayed to discover that the Dealer and apparently MG Motors thought the PodPoint "Smart" charger meant it could be programmed by the App for timed charging but that was news to PodPoint who thought the ZS had a scheduling timer! Hence I resorted to a SONOFF relay adaptation interrupting the CP connection and have programmed Timer function to turn on at 00:30 and off at 04:00 each day. I can achieve an instant charge by on of 3 methods. 1,"Alexa Charge my car". 2, Using the eWeLink App. 3, Switching the breaker off for the PodPoint and on again as I've set the SONOFF to switch on whenever power is interrupted and restored. The only issue with this is when the clocks change so does the time of OctopusGo's Off-Peak time and I have to re synchronize the clock on the SONOFF.

I had the BMS update when I put my car in for a failed heater fan controller but the dealer didn't tell me what the update was for and I discovered about a month or so later. I'm going to have the Comfort 2 update done with the first service this month COVID Lockdown permitting and it's good to hear that the Delayed Charge still works afterwards.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have posted elsewhere about my Rolec issues; I seem to have had all the up-dates and in this order: 1st charging update in June followed by comfort in September followed by HV fuse and charging update in October. The latter required when the car failed to charge on my home charger or granny charger. Now my smart Rolec charger will delay charging until my Agile tariff drops to its set price but won't restart if the price goes up and down again. The Rolec trickle fix wasn't plagued by this problem, of course. Now I have set the dealer the question, how can the DNO switch my car off and on as is the aim of smart charging...? He is taking it up with MG. This is a hypothetical question at the moment but there are plenty of EVs in the village and all my acquaintances here stop and ask how I am getting on with mine, most drive Mercs and Audis etc, they are willing to spend more on motoring than I am, and likely to buy EVs in the next 18 months. so it could be that the clusters of EV charging which are a concern to the electrical supply industry could arise quickly.
My experience with MG dealership and MG Motors early last year was that MG Motors didn't understand the nature of EV Charging and made far too many assumptions which resulted in partnerships with for the supply of ROLEC and PODPOINT home charges. MG Motors had assumed that because UK Government require new chargers to be "Smart" Chargers it meant that they didn't need to have timer onboard the car and this feature was dropped from European vehicles. This was an incorrect reading of "Smart" which only specifies that the DNO should be able to suspend charging of EVs to manage the load on the local power distribution network and doesn't specify any requirement to give control to the user. No I didn't appreciate that either until after my PODPOINT home charge point was installed and I asked the installer how I set the charger times - he said "you can't do that on the app you do that on the car". There then followed calls to both PODPOINT customer service and MG Motors and neither appreciated that the other couldn't program a delayed charge.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I had the BMS update when I put my car in for a failed heater fan controller but the dealer didn't tell me what the update was for and I discovered about a month or so later. I'm going to have the Comfort 2 update done with the first service this month COVID Lockdown permitting and it's good to hear that the Delayed Charge still works afterwards
Hi Barry - It looks like I will trying to get my car updated in the opposite fashion !.
The car received the "Comfort 2" update first, then I am hoping to get the second BMS update ( that was released around July ) done next week, when the car goes in for it's first service and the wiring loom replaced in the drivers door.
It maybe a bit of a battle, because at first the service advisor said that the only known update was the "Comfort 2" package.
After she spoke to the service manager, she returned to say there was a recall for the wiring harness and the HV fuse update ( SO17 ) but NO other !.
We will see !!!!!!.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My experience with MG dealership and MG Motors early last year was that MG Motors didn't understand the nature of EV Charging and made far too many assumptions which resulted in partnerships with for the supply of ROLEC and PODPOINT home charges. MG Motors had assumed that because UK Government require new chargers to be "Smart" Chargers it meant that they didn't need to have timer onboard the car and this feature was dropped from European vehicles. This was an incorrect reading of "Smart" which only specifies that the DNO should be able to suspend charging of EVs to manage the load on the local power distribution network and doesn't specify any requirement to give control to the user. No I didn't appreciate that either until after my PODPOINT home charge point was installed and I asked the installer how I set the charger times - he said "you can't do that on the app you do that on the car". There then followed calls to both PODPOINT customer service and MG Motors and neither appreciated that the other couldn't program a delayed charge.
Well lets see where my enquiry with my dealer goes. He is named on the MGEV website as a favoured dealer/contact in Portsmouth, with branches in Southampton and Guildford. They have sold a lot of MG ZS EVs, including one order for 6 from a hotel in the New Forest. I think that he is now recognising that this is not a matter of fussy owners trying to get the best deal on power via Agile tariffs; I made it quite clear that the DNOs expect to be able to control charging in order to prevent melt downs of local networks. Again I am in a semi rural area with many oil burning households who will be looking to go to ASHPs, me included, a 100 amp fuse is looking decidedly on the small side. When the kids were here there were 3 cars running, a heat pump would need 5/6 kWh overhead and the kitchen with a 7 kWh hob and 3 ovens... looks like 3 phase will have to be an option?

I'll report back; he did contact me before Xmas as a matter of courtesy to say no response yet from MG and I have said there is no rush but there needs to be a fix.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've read this entire thread twice and it's not impossible that I've missed a reply mentioning whether delayed charging works with non Rolec/Podpoint/Ohme kit. I guess these devices (or the first 2 at least) are top of the conversation due to their relationship with MG dealers. I have a Project EV box which is 1 year old and is "smart", though I haven't hooked it up to my broadband, nor set timers on it, since my car has a charge timer which works very nicely. So, does anyone know of the ZS EV accepting a delayed charge using AN.Other brand of smart charger without resorting to Sonoff gadgets or manual timers? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well lets see where my enquiry with my dealer goes. He is named on the MGEV website as a favoured dealer/contact in Portsmouth, with branches in Southampton and Guildford. They have sold a lot of MG ZS EVs, including one order for 6 from a hotel in the New Forest. I think that he is now recognising that this is not a matter of fussy owners trying to get the best deal on power via Agile tariffs; I made it quite clear that the DNOs expect to be able to control charging in order to prevent melt downs of local networks. Again I am in a semi rural area with many oil burning households who will be looking to go to ASHPs, me included, a 100 amp fuse is looking decidedly on the small side. When the kids were here there were 3 cars running, a heat pump would need 5/6 kWh overhead and the kitchen with a 7 kWh hob and 3 ovens... looks like 3 phase will have to be an option?

I'll report back; he did contact me before Xmas as a matter of courtesy to say no response yet from MG and I have said there is no rush but there needs to be a fix.
Definitely 3 Phase candidate. Around my neck of the woods 40 + years ago when electric underfloor heating was all the rage new houses with that were all fitted with 3 Phase as a matter of course. I sugest if you do go 3 phase try to spread the 3 cars across all three phases though :cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts

Well earlier today I added Comfort 2 to the job sheet when my car goes in on 27th for first service, but I think we are going to hear this evening from Boris that we are going into Lockdown 3 so I'm hoping Car Servicing will be once again remain an essential service and I'll also get the comfort 2 under that umbrella. Keep us informed

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've read this entire thread twice and it's not impossible that I've missed a reply mentioning whether delayed charging works with non Rolec/Podpoint/Ohme kit. I guess these devices (or the first 2 at least) are top of the conversation due to their relationship with MG dealers. I have a Project EV box which is 1 year old and is "smart", though I haven't hooked it up to my broadband, nor set timers on it, since my car has a charge timer which works very nicely. So, does anyone know of the ZS EV accepting a delayed charge using AN.Other brand of smart charger without resorting to Sonoff gadgets or manual timers? Thanks in advance.
In the absence of any reply so far, looks like no! What works with the Rolec is one delayed charge started when the app acknowledges the price as dropped below the set threshold. So with octopus agile it will start when the price drops and switch off when the price rises above the threshold but it only does it once, that might just give me 30 mins charging at the moment. On Octopus Go you would get your 4 hours charge. Ohme is said to work and I bought an Ohme charger in their Xmas offer (£150), I have yet to get a commando socket installed to try it but at that price I have a portable 2nd charger!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I have yet to get a commando socket installed to try it but at that price I have a portable 2nd charger!
If you having a blue commando plug on your OMHE - This would be handy if you wanted to use it for charging at a caravan park etc.
What about making up a fly lead that has blue female plug on one end and a good quality three pin plug on the other end ?.
You then have the ability to use either the commando plug, or add the fly lead if there is no availability of a blue socket outlet.
Having the OHME will allow you to reduce the amperage drawn by the car to avoid placing too much demand on the supply.
Brilliant home or portable “Holiday” charger.
If we ever get to take a holiday that is !.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If there is an issue of it not re-starting a charge and you have the delayed charge updates available this past year for the ZS then the issue lays with OHME. I had the delay charging issues that everyone initially had but there was a Dec 2018 fix which I had applied in late January that solved the issue whereby the car would go to sleep before the delayed charge commenced. I can hook my ZS up to the PodPoint without starting the charge and leave it in that "Connected Not Charging" state for hours then stop and start the charge as many times as I want (using the WiFi SONOFF modification) either on the SONOFF timer or from the eWeLink App so the car can handle it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you having a blue commando plug on your OMHE - This would be handy if you wanted to use it for charging at a caravan park etc.
What about making up a fly lead that has blue female plug on one end and a good quality three pin plug on the other end ?.
You then have the ability to use either the commando plug, or add the fly lead if there is no availability of a blue socket outlet.
Having the OHME will allow you to reduce the amperage drawn by the car to avoid placing too much demand on the supply.
Brilliant home or portable “Holiday” charger.
If we ever get to take a holiday that is !.
My understanding is that the OHME cable will attempt to draw 7.2 kw unless you have them (OHME) reset it, and they have to change the setting back. But yes the idea is to have a flexible second charger over and above a granny. It would be interesting to have 3 13 kw plugs running to a commando socket to share the load... only joking!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This topic goes back to November 2019 does anyone think that Rolec or Podpoint will ever do timed charging as MG on ZSEV will not, I purchased a PP 4 months ago and the engineer who fitted it said timed charging is eminent which turned out to be rubbish, any comments.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts