Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a ZSEV on order since a few weeks before Christmas. It's now in the country.

We plan on replacing both our ICE and existing BEV (C-Zero) with one car. We don't really need two cars and they are getting on.

Before finalising the deal and actually buying the car, I thought I'd ask actual owners what they think of their new toy. Reading these forums it's rather too easy to come to the conclusion that it's a rusting pile of garbage that barely makes it from one charge point to another, needs an overnight stop to recharge, bongs like a brass band and has onboard software that is badly written, flaky, dangerous when driving, and won't connect to any phone known to man or woman! OK, I'm exaggerating, but I think you'll know what I mean. People complain on the internet.

My wife and I are (semi)retired, so have no commutes. We do a few thousand miles a year of local driving to the shops, see friends, etc. and 300-400 mile drives perhaps once a month on average to see our family in other parts of the country, or pursue interests, take breaks etc.. None of the long drives are against the clock unless we haven't bothered to plan properly. We probably total 8-10k a year if we don't go continental. Given our ages, there's an excellent chance that this will be our last car. (God, that sounds dramatic...)

So what do people think, especially any silent lurkers?? Are you happy with the car? Is it OK, but with a few niggles, like any car? Worth what you paid for it? Or do you regret the day you saw it?

I'm possibly being unrealistic, but I'm just hoping for an overall view.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Absolutely happy.. It has issues, but EVs are a new technology and anyone buying one now is at the forefront of this always improving technology. Owners and manufacturers have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,726 Posts
Not picked mine up yet. Mine must be on the same boat as yours. Ordered just before Christmas. Pick up, hopefully, Tuesday. Went to the dealer yesterday to finalise the finance.

My tip would be to get any bits they offered you as sweetener BEFORE you sign the document. We were vaguely promised a Type 2 cable, but was told the manager had refused to let us have, it after we had signed.

It's not the end of the world, but it does leave a bad taste.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Am I happy with the car, yes I am. For the price point and considering what you get for the money it is the best value EV on the market right now. I am a fairly high mileage driver and spend up to 5 hours at a time in the car.

1. It is comfortable, I have never experienced any back pain or discomfort when driving the car. Some people talk about a lack of lumbar support but I have never noticed.
2. The range is good. If you want an extra 60 or 70 miles range and fancy spending an extra £10k to get it then go ahead
3. Charging is fine. Some people, myself included, moan about charge rates but the other evening I had to wait for a Kia to leave the charger I wanted to use and its charge rate was actually lower than that which I manage to achieve
4. Tech included. Way more toys that you would expect for the price point. My Tesla S driving brother is envious of the base spec and it makes my former Passat R Line look positively neolithic in terms of tech
5. Practical. I loaded my youngest, my girlfriend and her little boy, along with the dog and associated beach paraphernalia in and there were no issues at all.
6. Not dangerous. In every situation I have read where people complain about things like pre-crash I have not seen a situation where the software did not act in the best interest of the party that stood to be injured the most.
7. Charging port location. If a biggest complaint people can have is where the charging port is then I say get a life. There is nothing wrong with it at all. Some people have complained that it doesn't tell you if the charge port is left open. To that I say neither did any of the ICE cars I ever owned, just develop good habits.

Dislikes:
1. The bongs. Personally I don't have an issue with the bongs. I have driven a volvo that makes the MG appear mute in comparison. I just get annoyed when my girlfriend asks every single time why it is bonging when she is a passenger.
2. No forward parking sensors. Proper first world problem this. I have got used to having forward sensors from my other cars and the MG does not have them. Took about 30 seconds to get used to this and I moved on.
3. Issues with some chargers. For some reason it refuses to charge on some of the chargers at work. We have a bank of chargemaster pods, some work with the car and some don't. On that basis I blame the charger, not the car.
4. Scheduled charging. This infuriates some people but is not an issue for me. Again, first world problem.

My biggest joy is how much less I spend on driving with this thing. Whilst that will remain true for any EV the savings are phenomenal. I have done 1700 miles in it over the past month. If I drove my previous car conservatively I could squeeze 60mpg out of it. I was spending easily over £200 per month on Diesel. I am lucky and can charge for free in many of the places I go so I have spend about £40 on motorway chargers this month.

Would I make the same choice again? Yes I would. Do I envy other EVs? To an extent but only based on range. I did consider the Kona and Kia as well but the additional range for the money was not a sufficient justification. My long fortnightly commute requires about an hour of charging each way, split into two stops. I could knock that down to one stop with the Kona or Kia and save maybe 30 mins each way but that would be the only gain for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm collecting mine today. Will post back with my initial thoughts. I've had a 24kWH Leaf for the last 4 years, so looking forward to a bit of a change!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have had a ZSEV on order since a few weeks before Christmas. It's now in the country.

We plan on replacing both our ICE and existing BEV (C-Zero) with one car. We don't really need two cars and they are getting on.

Before finalising the deal and actually buying the car, I thought I'd ask actual owners what they think of their new toy. Reading these forums it's rather too easy to come to the conclusion that it's a rusting pile of garbage that barely makes it from one charge point to another, needs an overnight stop to recharge, bongs like a brass band and has onboard software that is badly written, flaky, dangerous when driving, and won't connect to any phone known to man or woman! OK, I'm exaggerating, but I think you'll know what I mean. People complain on the internet.

My wife and I are (semi)retired, so have no commutes. We do a few thousand miles a year of local driving to the shops, see friends, etc. and 300-400 mile drives perhaps once a month on average to see our family in other parts of the country, or pursue interests, take breaks etc.. None of the long drives are against the clock unless we haven't bothered to plan properly. We probably total 8-10k a year if we don't go continental. Given our ages, there's an excellent chance that this will be our last car. (God, that sounds dramatic...)

So what do people think, especially any silent lurkers?? Are you happy with the car? Is it OK, but with a few niggles, like any car? Worth what you paid for it? Or do you regret the day you saw it?

I'm possibly being unrealistic, but I'm just hoping for an overall view.
I have owned my Black Exclusive for one month today

I have completed 1200 miles, mainly commuting approx 40m per day, longest journey 140miles in total.
Here are my thoughts, hope they help
Car is much better than expected and I have no hesitation in recommending it.
I have yet to complete a long road trip, but l am looking forward to planning one.

Best bits - comfort, quietness, ACC, boot space (golf clubs), and passenger’s reactions.
Worst bits - one bong 30 seconds after setting off (lane assist is off)

The charging point is great I just drive up to the charger and plug in.
I can not believe how anyone could suggest it is difficult.

Apple car play is a joy to use.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would take a look at the Peugeot e2008, before committing. The Peugeot e2008 GT via EDF / Drive Electric is cheaper on contract hire than the MG, stronger residuals offset higher price. I had a deposit on the MG and was impressed by the drive, but a bigger battery, faster charging, a decent app and lower price swung it for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are very happy with ours. It has actually surpassed our expectations. We drive a similar amount to you and it has proved to be very quiet, comfortable and so far reliable. We live down the end of a dirt track which in most cars rattles you to bits - so we used to drive a Range Rover with air suspension. Surprisingly the ride is pretty good in the MG over the track - certainly better than the other ICE's we've driven in. It is simple to charge and fun to drive. My wife is a 5' technophobe and she charges it and loves driving it.
Like you our daily mileage is low - around 40 miles a day with the occasional long trips. It does charge slowly on the long trips in low temperatures, but we're past the age of worrying about getting there a few minutes faster.

The only real -ve points are:
the bongs - but frankly we don't even notice them anymore (we have lane assist off - so we get only get a bong about 30 seconds after starting off)
The timed charging problem - but we can live with that for a while until it is resolved or just fit a timer contactor.

All in all we are very happy with it and the value for money is excellent. It remains to be seen what the residuals will be with it compared to other cars - but I suspect that with lot of cities banning ICE vehicles there will always be room in the market for a car with less range - especially if the charging infrastructure improves.

We couldn't bring ourselves to spend 10-12K more for the extra range that we don't really need and frankly we preferred the MG's interior - despite the reviewers whittling on about hard plastic on the doors.

So no regrets at all

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would still recommend. I love driving it ( I came from an Audi A4 and for your use case I suspect you’ll find it’s fine. Others have outlined the problems but they are niggles. I’ve never had my car feel dangerous.
If I pause and think about when I’ve experienced my frustration the most it’s been with dealing with public charging facilities and the general rubbish reliability in this region. Stick to rapid chargers and I’ve found chargepoint and Pod-Point to be the more reliable for me.

Largely though I now avoid public charging at any cost unless it’s essential OR I know a charger is well maintained.

In other words the biggest pain point I’ve had with this car isn’t to do with the car itself. So now I charge at home and ensure I’m well topped up for longer journeys so I can avoid dealing with it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The views of the Facebook page are far more divergent than on Speak EV with some absolute fan boys unwilling to hear a word said against it, and others making every minor omission of failing seem like the end of the world. I'm sure views are influenced by previous driving and car ownership history and it is understandable that those for whom the MG is their first new car or first EV will be particularly happy.

In my opinion it is a good car, that could so easily have been an extremely good car. For our usage it strikes a good balance of size, performance, range, quality and price. Having driven evs as main transport over the past 3 years I wanted something a bit bigger, faster, more comfortable with a longer range than my previous car, and the MG delivers on all of these but it is rather spoilt by omissions and poor design decisions that may not bother some people at all, but cumulatively may cause issues for others. Let me share my view on main grumbles expressed.
  • Rustgate - fear that cars might not have been properly treated and may rust. Grumbles seem to have died down down and I can't believe that this will be a major problem otherwise SAIC \ MG's attempt to break into western markets will be over before they begin.
  • Charge port - design seemed agricultural but hasn't caused me any problems and is not something I worry about although something to illuminate the port would be welcome
  • Internal lighting especially in the rear of Exclusive model is sadly lacking
  • Headlights - some have found them weak and auto dipping does not operate quickly enough - I haven't found this to be a particular problem
  • 12V / starting issues - many reported issues are probably user error from running accessories when main HV battery is off. The car could probably manage this and provide better indication that 12V battery is running low, but I've not experienced a problem.
  • Absence of a timer for charging and pre-heating - this is a major omission in my view. If it was present cars could be defrosted and battery warmed before departure which would help with range and future charge speed, not to mention the comfort and convenience of a freshly warmed car
  • Incompatibility of promoted chargers (Rolec and PodPoint) to offer timed charge to the MG. Ridiculous
  • Coldgate \ Rapid charge speed - most people are finding this considerably slower than advertised and expected. The car clearly can charge at good speed in the right conditions, but at this time of year at least many people are having to dwell much longer or make more stops than anticipated. If you never use a rapid charger this won't affect you, if you are undertaking a 200 mile journey and depart with a full battery it might mean 60 mins charging rather than 30 mins. Many other models don't suffer in this way either because batteries are warmed in some way (even if it is from the cabin), or BMS is less conservative, so many experienced drivers are finding the MG to be a retrograde step in this department.
  • Safety aids - technology is pretty advanced and I've not experienced any of the reported problems. Sadly many people just turn most of this off due to the over zealous bongs
  • Infotainment system - is slow to respond. The sat nav in particular is not very responsive and it isn't possible to have direction of travel as 'up'. Many people have given up with it and use Android Auto or Apple Carplay instead. EDIT as reported by @Navrac it is possible to have direction of travel as up. I do still find typing in addreses slow but I may have been a bit hasty in my criticism.
  • Absence of an App - other markets have a useful looking app. Highly unlikely we will get once for current model, but not a major problem to me.
  • Driver information - would be better if we had more info on state of charge, charge rates, battery and ambient temperature etc. to plan when and where to charge
  • T2 cable should be supplied with the car. Better dealers recognise that it is needed and have supplied themselves.
  • Service costs - bearing in mind that most service is simply an inspection, and 4th year requires an expensive cooling fluid change.
As I say, if you are aware of, and happy to tolerate the above you will probably find the MG to be a comfortable, spacious and pleasant companion.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
haven't got mine yet (MG), but I am interested to know. Can you get away with just one split on the back seat down for your clubs and the other up for your trolley?
I do not need to fold the seat down, clubs and trolley fit. Driver end first top right of boot, base end bottom left into the storeage recess.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Almost 3000 miles and 3 months with the Excite ... love it!

Pros
  • Very comfortable
  • Quiet driving experience
  • Very pleasant interior
  • Good quality construction
  • Great value
  • Huge boot
  • Good storage areas
  • Brilliant to drive
  • Passenger's happy too
  • Charge port position at the front is fine
  • Sound system pretty good
  • Effective safety tech
  • Euro NCAP rated 5 star a plus

Cons
  • Bongs of course but MG apparently are aware of our view on this so may improve
  • Single and triple horn sound annoying as linked to all doors not just driver's door
  • Key left in car bong completely useless feature
  • Lane Change Assist bonging very annoying (I turned it off)
  • Generally needs such annoyances ironed out and some of the visual messages improved/removed
So the down sides are just annoying. Yes, it has these quirks but certainly not a show stopper to purchase and these annoyances hopefully will be addressed in future updates/mods.

The comfort and quietness makes a long drive so much less tiring.

A change is approach is required making each journey more interesting as I have often diverted to find a charger discovering new parts of an area of the country. Having coffee and cake in previously unknown cafes while waiting on the car charging is great and makes travel by EV a slower, and calmer, form of transport!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Hi @Nickel
It's pretty much all been said really.
Just to say this, don't worry - I do truly believe you will absolutely love the car !.
We are both retired now, so worrying about a slower charging speed is not a real issue for us, I do understand that for busy working people covering a lot of mileage, this could be an annoyance.
I don't intended to be doing much rapid charging unless really necessary.
Most of our charging will be conducted using "Off - Peak" electric from home.
The car drives great and is extremely comfortable for our old bones !.
I have not found a big issue with the charging port to be fair, I had a knee replacement last year so if I can manage it, I can't see the big problem really ?.
I have overcome the problem of not being able to delay charge by installing a timer into my existing four year old Rolec wall box.
Use of available range is pretty much bang on to the reported range from the GOM.
For the first couple of weeks, I was checking the range left on the car every 15 mins or so !.
After about 6 weeks of ownership, I now find myself very rarely checking the remaining range now.
You become more confident and learn to trust both your judgement & what the car reports.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@WalkingBootWeather - I agree with everything in your post - there are several minor things or posts complaining about problems I don't have - (like the headlights being too dim) .

Except......

Infotainment system - is slow to respond. The sat nav in particular is not very responsive and it isn't possible to have direction of travel as 'up'.
It is a bit slow, but not horrendous - but you can make the direction of travel 'Up'. I can't remember exactly how I did it , but whilst sitting in a car park running down the 12V battery I did manage to do it after my wife whinged about it! I seem to remember on the driving screen there is a compass icon at the top of the screen - I clicked on that ( I think) and it switched to travel up mode. The trouble is I clicked on a lot of things and only noticed it changed when driving away!

But it is possible!

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
I would take a look at the Peugeot e2008, before committing. The Peugeot e2008 GT via EDF / Drive Electric is cheaper on contract hire than the MG, stronger residuals offset higher price. I had a deposit on the MG and was impressed by the drive, but a bigger battery, faster charging, a decent app and lower price swung it for me.
If your going PCP route I read on FB that the e2008 can be had for just £8 a month more than MG. For me that would see me going down the e2008 route, its a nice car, better than the MG, in that its more stylish, just as spacious, bigger battery pack so presumably better range. But for outright ownership little beats the MG on cost, I prefer whole ownership so the MG is my choice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sandy, you say the e2008 is jus as spacious, however James and Kate in there review on their you tube review say it's very small. Which was there main downside to the car. Too small to even get there buggy in the back.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
Sandy, you say the e2008 is jus as spacious, however James and Kate in there review on their you tube review say it's very small. Which was there main downside to the car. Too small to even get there buggy in the back.
I think you mean the e208 not the e2008. e2008 is much the same size as ZS. 208 is Zoe sized, but smaller in back.

e2008 dimensions
Length4300 mm
Width1770 mm
Height1530 mm
Wheelbase2650 mm
Weight Empty1548 kg

ZS EV dimensions
Length4314 mm
Width1809 mm
Height1644 mm
Wheelbase2585 mm
Weight Empty1491 kg

Actually just surprised myself with those figures, I was sure to look at the e2008 was bigger than ZS, and yet its narrower, lower and shorter. Must be the bigger wheelbase that makes the e2008 look so big.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ah you are probably right, so easy to get numbers wrong. Don't know what's wrong with names, Corrina Granada etc. As for Jags, surely the I pace should be the ice car and the e pace the electrico_O

1 - 20 of 93 Posts