Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
This is a good work around for the start up volume, but when setting the audio settings to this level, when you increase the volume the sound being produced is not going to be at its best.

Don't set them all to lowest setting. Just pick the EQ you like and then reduce the lowest slider to zero and then the other sliders to a mirror pattern to your chosen EQ. Then you get good sound. Turn off volume boost (for speed) but leave bass boost on (or whatever its called). Sound is good then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have had a ZSEV on order since a few weeks before Christmas. It's now in the country.

We plan on replacing both our ICE and existing BEV (C-Zero) with one car. We don't really need two cars and they are getting on.

Before finalising the deal and actually buying the car, I thought I'd ask actual owners what they think of their new toy. Reading these forums it's rather too easy to come to the conclusion that it's a rusting pile of garbage that barely makes it from one charge point to another, needs an overnight stop to recharge, bongs like a brass band and has onboard software that is badly written, flaky, dangerous when driving, and won't connect to any phone known to man or woman! OK, I'm exaggerating, but I think you'll know what I mean. People complain on the internet.

My wife and I are (semi)retired, so have no commutes. We do a few thousand miles a year of local driving to the shops, see friends, etc. and 300-400 mile drives perhaps once a month on average to see our family in other parts of the country, or pursue interests, take breaks etc.. None of the long drives are against the clock unless we haven't bothered to plan properly. We probably total 8-10k a year if we don't go continental. Given our ages, there's an excellent chance that this will be our last car. (God, that sounds dramatic...)

So what do people think, especially any silent lurkers?? Are you happy with the car? Is it OK, but with a few niggles, like any car? Worth what you paid for it? Or do you regret the day you saw it?

I'm possibly being unrealistic, but I'm just hoping for an overall view.
Hi I took delivery of my mg zs ev on the third of march and have done about 250 miles so far.I am really pleased with it at the moment no issues as yet.The only problem I'm having at the moment is I'm finding it difficult to connect my Samsung phone to the Android auto.I am not all that tech savvy being a 67 year old retiree.At the moment I'm charging it up with the granny cable which came with the car as I am waiting for smart home charge to come and fit my wall box.I am charging the car during the day as I have solar panels so it costs me next to nothing.I find the mg to be well built it's got loads of safety kit installed,mine is the exclusive version for the money its a steal,I ordered mine last October so I got the extra mg £3.500 discount.After charging and going into the car and selecting the highest regen it's showing me I have 175 miles.I was originally looking at the Kia e Nero and the Tesla model 3 but decided to save £10.000 plus and get the mg . there is a couple on you tube called James and Kate who are always testing ev,s and they have sold their£60.000 Tesla model.S and bought an mg zs ev exclusive and they are very pleased with it.You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Surprised to hear about your Cardiff Gate issue, never had a problem there.
I've no way of knowing but we had a feeling that the previous driver may not have ended his charge cleanly. Possibly that contributed? He was charging an I-Pace and just finishing up when we arrived, but was deep in conversation with an interested bystander. So he may have been distracted. When we connected up we were told that our charge state was 10%, which it absolutely wasn't, and shortly afterward we were kicked off. It was only our second "away" charge with this car, so we may not have realised that we weren't getting the right messages. Anyway, when we finally got the post reset it was in free vend, so that was good!
I am also surprised to see you stopped at Swansea West. I thought there wasn't a CCS charger at Swansea West 🤔
Well, there is now! I freely admit to being wet behind the ears with rapids, as we rarely took the C-Zero long distance, but I definitely didn't plug into a CHAdeMO!!;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
You didn't use the type 2 there did you? It would be excellent if there was a CCS at Cardiff West, confirmation would be very useful. I often have enough juice to go a little further than Cardiff Gate but not enough to reach Sarn Park.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,578 Posts
Hi I took delivery of my mg zs ev on the third of march and have done about 250 miles so far.
Lol I've passed that mileage and I've only had my car since Saturday. My commute is 6miles each way.... guess I'm just using the car for fun too much!

You made me think though, not tested my granny lead yet.... I'll try it tonight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am just about to hit 3000 miles and have owned mine since the beginning of Feb. So far my absolutely favourite part of my experience is using my own car for work trips of less than 100 miles return and then claiming 45p per mine for the pleasure. I charge for free at work but I do bung my girlfriend a few quid when I charge at her place. So far I am in net profit using this approach despite using rapids about 10 times per month. Would I like an additional 100 miles range from the car...yes....do I want to pay upwards of 10K for the pleasure....no. The additional range would save me an estimate 3 hours max per month. 36 hours per year. Definitely not something one can justify.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You didn't use the type 2 there did you? It would be excellent if there was a CCS at Cardiff West, confirmation would be very useful. I often have enough juice to go a little further than Cardiff Gate but not enough to reach Sarn Park.
Sorry, we are at cross-purposes. I mean the Swansea West services at Junction 47. You are thinking of the Cardiff West services at Junction 33, where there is no CCS AFAIK. I wish there was one there, as I envisage finding the same as you.

(The J47 services may be called just Swansea in some places. But everyone knows the junction as Swansea West though, so that's how I think of the services. I don't know their formal name.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
🤦‍♂️ my bad. Read west and immediately thought of Cardiff, not Swansea. Oh well, back to my usual method. Swansea West is the official name and I can see the charger on Zap Map. Where do you hail from Nickel?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Swansea. For obvious reasons I have next to no reason to visit Swansea West services, but took a spin down the motorway and then recharged there on the second day we had the car. I wanted to establish that the car would in fact charge from a rapid before we set off down to Exeter.

My main concern is heading North from here. There are rapids in, but the options for Plans B&C look a bit thin on the ground!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I travel from the midlands to Pembrokeshire to see my kids and I tend to stick to the M4 corridor as it is safer for chargers. My brother has an expanding network and his tend to be reliable. There is a good one in Llandovery that he fitted recently. All ABB units to pretty solid.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I travel from the midlands to Pembrokeshire to see my kids and I tend to stick to the M4 corridor as it is safer for chargers. My brother has an expanding network and his tend to be reliable. There is a good one in Llandovery that he fitted recently. All ABB units to pretty solid.
Would we recognise your brother's network?

81 - 93 of 93 Posts