Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1241 - 1260 of 1284 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nope - not made up, but.....

Retail is retail, what the public pay.

Into that price is factored the cost of manufacturers "offers" so PCP 0% offers, finance deposit contributions, free servicing or whatever other retail deals are being offered.

Leasing is fleet - what the fleet industry pay - completely unrelated. They don't get "retail" offers, but completely different terms.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nope.

Retail is retail, what the public pay

Leasing is fleet - what the fleet industry pay - completely unrelated.
Right but fleet have to make leasing more competitive than buying at retail and selling after depreciation.

The residuals used to calculate lease price will be based on market value (based on retail price)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Right but fleet have to make leasing more competitive than buying at retail and selling after depreciation.

The residuals used to calculate lease price will be based on market value (based on retail price)
Not sure I understand you.

Yes, the residuals are based on CAP HPi future predictions.

Lease companies are not interested in retail. They appeal to a slightly different (although sometimes overlapping) market - they compete with other leasing companies, not dealers / retailers - although some customers do look at both.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
277 Posts
"Normal" lease prices, yes - it's a function of what the car costs, what it's expected to be worth and a bit of profit.

The cheap lease offers though are a reaction to oversupply - ie the factory is churning out cars quicker than the usual retail or fleet buyers are taking them. You can offer cheap finance, discounts, etc to get them sold. Or put cars out on cheap 2 or 3 year deals at low mileage, defer any notional loss, and get them back into your network as "approved used" down the line.

Ioniq and Leaf aren't selling well through the usual channels, hence all the cheap deals.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There is some relation for lease and retail price, but I agree with the fleet points.

All of the main leasing sites provide value scores, some are simple calculations, some are slighly more algorithmic. They all include the retail price. So a car A at £300/month may have a 99% score and Car B £300/month may have a 50% score. This in part may be related to the retail price. A real example of this was when the iPace launched. I could have paid close to £500/month for the iPace and £500/month for the Kona. The iPace had a value score off the chart as it was based on retail of about £70K vs the Kona's £33K.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The cheapest ever (at least for last 6 months) Hyundai Kona Electric 100kW SE Connect 39kWh 5dr Auto

£278 in 1+23 lease, 8k miles pa
Only cheapest for 6 months as this model was launched in March, so it is cheapest in the last month or so. This is an issue with the historical data, it has all disappeared as the precious model is not there anymore. Maybe worth grabbing a screenshot occasionally.

Its an OK deal with 10K miles p.a. at 24 months running at 23.6% of P11D. Would need to be at about 20% to be good, below this to be excellent.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have not said that this is an excellent deal nor I mentioned 20% rule (which is not always a benchmark especially for EVs). I barely listed it for someone to consider. Thanks for pointing out that this model has not been long on the market though

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well spotted. It is a pretty good deal coming in at 23.5% of P11D. Probably as close to this level for 10K p.a. for any Kona EV.
adjusting for 8kmiles gives the best deal - their rating is 98/100. £315.73/month over 24 months. £7577.52 total + broker fee. Their chart shows it's just above the lowest cost in the past 6 months. Not bad considering the recent grant reduction, and it could be sweet if there is an option to extend at the same cost beyond month 25. The 64kWh battery is certainly a good option for anyone who does a small number of long range trips in a year.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
could

I’m surprised you said that considering you usually aim for 20%!
Yes, it's not bad for the Kona. I personally chase the deal, I think the most I have paid works out at about 18%. If you need one of these now it is good. It is getting harder to see trends as there are new models, so % of P11D at least gives you a base to work on.

Reactions: Metcast

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thoughts on the pricing on the new Ioniq 5? 👀£37 starting and £40k for Premium. Will this impact e-Niro/Kona prices?

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thoughts on the pricing on the new Ioniq 5? 👀£37 starting and £40k for Premium. Will this impact e-Niro/Kona prices?
I am assuming you are talking about leasing?

Here is my guesstimate (i.e. if I am wrong don't shoot me). With all of the other Kia/Hyundai EV launches, the initial lease cost is very high (over £500/month for the Kona and eNiro) as they have restricted capacity. When the Kona was launched, I could get a Jaguar I-Pace for the same price. So, if this happens again, I expect that the short term prices of Niro/Kona to hold firm for a while.

However, prices seem to fluctuate all of the time, so if anyone is after a Kona or e-Niro, decide on what you are willing to pay and hit the button if it gets to that level. I think I will be up for an Ioniq 5, but probably in 2 years.

Finally, I didn't realise that the Ioniq 5 price was going to be starting so low. It looks good value. If we get more Ultra-fast chargers, there is a strong argument for going for the smaller battery. Why hulk a big battery around with the added cost when you can add 62 miles in 5 mins?

1241 - 1260 of 1284 Posts