Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
I don’t know what the actual spec of the Corsa is I. Your country. It will differ from country to country. Also, no idea if the spec is the same for everything else between the Corsa-e and the ICE Corsa.

Are you thinking of proximity locking? The keyless start is one thing but proximity locking was an issue with cars the had it before the ECU updates back in May. When I got my Corsa-e, there was no proximity locking even though it was advertised as having it.

After the ECU update in May, the proximity locking function was there in the car menu options and since then it has worked all the time. It can be activated and deactivated in the car menu settings.
First of all, I'm from Portugal (in case you know how it works in here).
I'm talking about the automatic hands free access. I talked about the keyless start because it needs a special key, like the hands free entry, and I have it. At least for 2021 models there is a pack regarding some extras which I mentioned, and that pack leads to hands free entry.

However, I was told I don't have the "smart key", but I think I have seen someone with a 2020 Model Year corsa mentioning this. Also, I don't have the option in the screen, like you. To be honest, I'm a bit lost with all of this, it's confusing. Also my car has literally all the extras, as it is an ultimate nav elegance corsa.

· Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,214 Posts
First of all, I'm from Portugal (in case you know how it works in here).
I'm talking about the automatic hands free access. I talked about the keyless start because it needs a special key, like the hands free entry, and I have it. At least for 2021 models there is a pack regarding some extras which I mentioned, and that pack leads to hands free entry.

However, I was told I don't have the "smart key", but I think I have seen someone with a 2020 Model Year corsa mentioning this. Also, I don't have the option in the screen, like you. To be honest, I'm a bit lost with all of this, it's confusing. Also my car has literally all the extras, as it is an ultimate nav elegance corsa.
If your car is a 2020 model then it needs the ECU update to activate the "proximity locking" function. After the ECU update, the option to switch this feature on will become available in the cars menu options. All this depends if this is available to ICE Corsa's in Portugal. I cannot advise beyond this and you may be better trying to contact Opel directly rather than your dealer.

· Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,237 Posts
I'm not so much as confused, as surprised. I don't have keyless entry. I have to press a button on the key, but I've just been down to empty the bin and whilst at it to unplug the car. Unlocked car with key press to take out the plug and as I turned round to put the plug in its holder - the car locked itself! I hadn't opened any doors or the boot and the charger flap was still open. It just locked itself. Is this normal?

The MG would lock itself if left alone for a while (doors and boot shut) but I was expecting that.

· Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,214 Posts
I'm not so much as confused, as surprised. I don't have keyless entry. I have to press a button on the key, but I've just been down to empty the bin and whilst at it to unplug the car. Unlocked car with key press to take out the plug and as I turned round to put the plug in its holder - the car locked itself! I hadn't opened any doors or the boot and the charger flap was still open. It just locked itself. Is this normal?

The MG would lock itself if left alone for a while (doors and boot shut) but I was expecting that.
Yes, this is normal. If you unlock but don’t actually open any doors, it will re-lock automatically. This has nothing to do with “proximity” locking.

· Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys. Regarding my automatic hands free access problem, I'd like to make a question. I have a diesel 2019 license plated corsa, but model year 2020 (sorry for having diesel car and being in this forum, but I can't find any other good foruns like this one). Does anyone know if there was the automatic keyless entry and start pack (the one with the automatic hands free access) for this year's model? Or only for the 2021 model? I have extras related to that pack but apparently I don't have the smart keys. Also, what are the PEPS keys? (at least that's their name in the pack, in Portugal).
I would appreciate help, in case anyone could do that.

· Registered
9 Posts
If your car is a 2020 model then it needs the ECU update to activate the "proximity locking" function. After the ECU update, the option to switch this feature on will become available in the cars menu options. All this depends if this is available to ICE Corsa's in Portugal. I cannot advise beyond this and you may be better trying to contact Opel directly rather than your dealer.
The problem is that not even opel knows anything about it. Some garages say there is NO opel car with the function. Others say there is. Others even say my car doesn't have the intelligent keys (I suppose those are the PEPS keys), which I think I have because my car has the button to be started. Also I've been told there is no update. To be honest, I don't know what else to do, it's a big mess. Also, in the owner's manual the automatic locking and unlocking appears and my car has the options of that pack...

· Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,214 Posts
The problem is that not even opel knows anything about it. Some garages say there is NO opel car with the function. Others say there is. Others even say my car doesn't have the intelligent keys (I suppose those are the PEPS keys), which I think I have because my car has the button to be started. Also I've been told there is no update. To be honest, I don't know what else to do, it's a big mess. Also, in the owner's manual the automatic locking and unlocking appears and my car has the options of that pack...
Just because it is in the manual doesn't mean your car has that function. The manual is generic for all models of the same type. My manual has info on the Active Cruise Control but my car doesn't have ACC.

As for Opel in Portugal not giving you the information you have requested, I'm sure there are EU regulations you can look up for this problem and get the necessary powers that be involved. Have you tried contacting Opel HQ in Germany?

· Registered
9 Posts
Just because it is in the manual doesn't mean your car has that function. The manual is generic for all models of the same type. My manual has info on the Active Cruise Control but my car doesn't have ACC.

As for Opel in Portugal not giving you the information you have requested, I'm sure there are EU regulations you can look up for this problem and get the necessary powers that be involved. Have you tried contacting Opel HQ in Germany?
I know that about the owner's manual, however I've seen the configurator and my car at least has the extras related to the pack. Probably it's because I'm in Portugal, but for example opel configurator in Portugal is very different from France's (France configurator is much more complete, and has options like heated steering wheel, and the hands free key). In Portugal, for example that steering wheel option doesn't appear on the configurator (but my car has it) neither the hands free key (only a keyless entry and start pack). It doesn't make sense, as the next picture shows, because of that area of proximity, there is no sensor in the passenger door.
The thing is I haven't seen any car with this automatic opening in Portugal.
Nevertheless, since I'm in Portugal, how should I contact opel's HQ in Germany?
Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Font Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
3 Posts
my corsa now has hands free lock and unlock. To enable it, unlock car with the button on the key and then press the lock button and hold it down for at least 5 seconds.
The dealer had already done this when I picked my car up today and quickly told me how to activate it on my spare. Tried a couple of times before it worked as I don’t think I held button long enough but it now works perfectly. Hopefully useful information for anybody without this function.
Does your Corsa have the two raised bars on the door handles for opening by touch? Does it have to have the bars for the proximity opening function to work? My car is a 71 plate and doesn't have the function at all despite it being advertised as being keyless entry.
You haven't got the feature by the look of it. It's a bit odd as some cars have it and some don't.

My settings page looks like this:

View attachment 140970
You haven't got the feature by the look of it. It's a bit odd as some cars have it and some don't.

My settings page looks like this:

View attachment 140970

Does the car have to have the two raised bars on the door handle for the proximity function to work or is that a different option?

· Registered
3 Posts
I don’t know what the actual spec of the Corsa is I. Your country. It will differ from country to country. Also, no idea if the spec is the same for everything else between the Corsa-e and the ICE Corsa.

Are you thinking of proximity locking? The keyless start is one thing but proximity locking was an issue with cars the had it before the ECU updates back in May. When I got my Corsa-e, there was no proximity locking even though it was advertised as having it.

After the ECU update in May, the proximity locking function was there in the car menu options and since then it has worked all the time. It can be activated and deactivated in the car menu settings.
Does the car need to have the two raised ridges on the feont door handles for the proximity option to work? My car is top spec but doesn't have the handle ridges. Will a software update install the proximity function?

· Registered
4,680 Posts
Does the car need to have the two raised ridges on the feont door handles for the proximity option to work? My car is top spec but doesn't have the handle ridges. Will a software update install the proximity function?
The ridges are just a switch. You hold your thumb on them for most of a second and assuming you have the fob on you the door unlocks.

Gaz

· Registered
4,680 Posts
It's difficult to say for sure as they go by various feature packs which include or are supposed to include a number of things but sometimes features get omitted.
It's definitely a bundle of hardware that needs to be installed rather than a software update to have the hands free unlocking.
I only had a Corsa where I had to press the button on the fob but my Mokka has the full keyless entry which usually works without issue.
With the current issue with chip shortages I imagine a retro fit would be difficult to arrange.

Gaz

Reactions: MarkOCorsa
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.