Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a Leaf which is due to be returned January 2018 but has a scratch on bumper which I'd like to get repaired now, can anyway clarify if RCI will have an issue with a SMART repair (ie Chips Away), I assume that is ok with them? It's a fairly nasty one (low wall my wife didn't see when parking). Not sure if they require a proper job is the smart repair can be picked up by a very close inspection.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We have a Leaf which is due to be returned January 2018 but has a scratch on bumper which I'd like to get repaired now, can anyway clarify if RCI will have an issue with a SMART repair (ie Chips Away), I assume that is ok with them? It's a fairly nasty one (low wall my wife didn't see when parking). Not sure if they require a proper job is the smart repair can be picked up by a very close inspection.

Thanks

Alex
Smart repair is fine - but I found ChipsAway etc. to be expensive - it may well be cheaper to allow RCI to charge for the repair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up a chip in my LEAF windscreen a couple of weeks ago. It was just under 10mm and in zone A (i.e. in driver's vision cone) so I got Auto Windscreens out yesterday to repair it (as it was under 10mm)

They've done the repair, but (as the guy told me yesterday) it's not invisible - it's much, much better than it was but there's still a bit of a chip in the glass - you can't feel anything when you rub your fingers over it though.

Manheim are due to inspect and collect on Tuesday, and the email I had from them tells me that they will NOT accept the car if there's a chip in the windscreen in the driver's vision.

Has anyone else been in this scenario? Am I best contacting them and re-arranging?

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I'd just see what they say. Technically you no longer have a chip, you have a repaired chip.

Worse case you have to put a windscreen claim through on your insurance. But you won't find out unless you have the inspection.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I picked up a chip in my LEAF windscreen a couple of weeks ago. It was just under 10mm and in zone A (i.e. in driver's vision cone) so I got Auto Windscreens out yesterday to repair it (as it was under 10mm)

They've done the repair, but (as the guy told me yesterday) it's not invisible - it's much, much better than it was but there's still a bit of a chip in the glass - you can't feel anything when you rub your fingers over it though.

Manheim are due to inspect and collect on Tuesday, and the email I had from them tells me that they will NOT accept the car if there's a chip in the windscreen in the driver's vision.

Has anyone else been in this scenario? Am I best contacting them and re-arranging?

really? seems a bit petty. Surely they can just charge you for it like they do everything else. They'd happily accept it with a dent and charge you for that!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Presumably it's because it's an MOT fail and therefore makes the car unroadworthy.

Had to get it replaced in the end (without insurance too) - ouch.

Manheim have inspected and collected the vehicle today. The inspector identified a series of dents and bad paint repairs all down the left hand side of the car, which I'm really annoyed about. There were four visible dents in the door that weren't there when he arrived, which he says is where a poor repair has been effected and he's just been able to "undo" the repair very easily.

I've not had any repairs done to that area of the car, so unless Nissan/the supplying dealer had some dodgy repairs done to it before I collected it I've no idea what's caused that. His total damage estimate was £585, but he's suggested that I contest the damage (and has marked on his report that I'll be doing so)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
As already mentioned on other threads my car was picked up last week, very friendly guy from Manheim, 3 ppl appeared in 1 car, 2 did the inspection and the other was the driver, they picked up corrosion on one wheel and a small scratch on the other wheel, there were some light scratches on the door but a little spray and rub of WD40 covered those (yes this does work temporarily), the girl on the phone had asked me to fully charge the car? reason was they drove it away, a 55 mile drive to Corby, I told him to watch the speed, their office havent even sorted them any cards for charging or any EH access, oh well I suppose they can always call out a flat bed.

RCI sent me a reminder to pay the 15 grand invoice even though we had sent the car back, so I called them back to complain and they said it was an automated process, I then got them to drop the £110 charges for the wheels, I argued the corrosion issue was a warranty problem and she said as that dropped the snag list down to one wheel she would drop all charges, cheers easy.

Compared to my last car nightmare this was easy peasy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Follow up for anyone interested - can't remember what I last said.

RCI provided us with an email saying when we handed the car, and they took ownership. I printed and sent this to the DVLA to avoid the £100 fine.
DVLA responded and said that we still have to pay the £100 because of the date the email was sent.

I've had enough. It's only £100. I'm just going to pay it to stop them hassling me - I've spent more in my time now than I'm going to save.

·
One Life - Leaf It
488 Posts
Our car was taken back by RCI last Friday. We paid £0, which was nice - to be honest, there was a tiny scuff on the mirror and some interior scratches (you try stopping a 4 yr old). The whole process wasn't too bad, considering some of the horror stories, apart from about 100 duplicate emails from Nissan.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

RCI provided us with an email saying when we handed the car, and they took ownership. I printed and sent this to the DVLA to avoid the £100 fine.
DVLA responded and said that we still have to pay the £100 because of the date the email was sent.

I've had enough. It's only £100. I'm just going to pay it to stop them hassling me - I've spent more in my time now than I'm going to save.
Annoying but i do appreciate your sentiment.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Absolutely do not pay the fine tell them they will have to take you to a small claims court to get the money, they will drop it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Absolutely do not pay the fine tell them they will have to take you to a small claims court to get the money, they will drop it.
You are totally right. Bad day when I wrote the above. I don't owe the DVLA for the fine. I'll keep at it.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm disputing being charged for replacement blue badges due to peeling, is there any definitive advice on it?
To me it seems unfair as its so common and cant be helped by the owner surely it must come under wear and tear?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,618 Posts
I'm disputing being charged for replacement blue badges due to peeling, is there any definitive advice on it?
To me it seems unfair as its so common and cant be helped by the owner surely it must come under wear and tear?
It's a common problem on the Renault Zoe being replaced under warranty, so assuming they use the same process that should be a decent precedent to argue that it doesn't matter about wear and tear as it's a warranty issue?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mine was replaced under warranty as were many others.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
It sounds like the title of this thread is a bit off the mark!
Is it really just an excuse to charge a punitive amount for what any sane person would actually deem as fair wear and tear?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,618 Posts
It sounds like the title of this thread is a bit off the mark!
Is it really just an excuse to charge a punitive amount for what any sane person would actually deem as fair wear and tear?
Basically, yes. And a big discussion over what is wear and tear and what isn't...and how Mannheim seem to have a huge variance in what their inspectors are like.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My 2015 Tekna straight out of the dealership had this problem although it didnt get worse over the 2 years I had the car, the manheim guy never mentioned it, I was preparing myself to have a firm discussion about it but it was OK, corrosion on one of the alloys started in the first week of ownership as well which was noticed and charged for but charges were dropped as well they should be.

·
1,579 Posts
Manheim identified some paint issues (one was from new) plus no stamp in the service record (dealer told me it didn't need it as records are kept online now) which added up to £800.

I received an invoice for £200.30 which is for the 2003 miles above my PCP agreement. I'm going to dispute it because I returned the car 6 weeks early and haven't been given a credit on the monthly PCP/battery payment.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
@Robwiz, I take it the £800 was not invoiced just highlighted by Mannheim?
Good luck on the excess mileage charge but i doubt you will get anywhere.
You signed a contract for x months and x miles. Handing it back early is up to you, sorry to say.

281 - 300 of 328 Posts